Who do you believe???

Solidstate (amps, preamps), Tweaks, Cables, New gear, etc...

Moderators: Hyperion, KD

Postby joe3rp » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:34 pm

boobtube wrote:I hate to say this but some EXPENSIVE gears could really give you quality that cheaper gears can't! Bitter pill to swallow.

The MORE bitterER Pill to swallow is EXPENSIVE gear without any synergy/matching resulting in really awful sound!
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby boobtube » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:41 pm

joe3rp wrote:
boobtube wrote:I hate to say this but some EXPENSIVE gears could really give you quality that cheaper gears can't! Bitter pill to swallow.

The MORE bitterER Pill to swallow is EXPENSIVE gear without any synergy/matching resulting in really awful sound!

Hhahahahah!! A sin a lot of people commit!!

Zach! you hit it on the spot :)
boobtube
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenn » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:32 pm

zach wrote:now goingback to prat. hmmmm. my referenc is live music. i play live an average of about 4 times a week. as a drummer/percussionist i have this gripe about equipment sort of quantising the the pace, rhythm and timing of a recording. certain amps are so slow that the pitch alters, other amps so fast nag kaka micro sharp yung kanta. in other words naiba na from the original. last week i recorded a christmas song for jam 88.3, the little drummer boy, w/c is a snare heavy song. we listened to it in their system and everything just sounded wrong. yung snare direderetso lang. na wala yung mga subtle hesitations ng palo ko, yung mga ibang hina ng ghost notes, etc, it sounded like a clock, like a machine. plus ang bilis! parang ako nagmamadali, nawala yung feel ng palo. layo from where i mixed and mastered it. now others who heard it in jam just looked at me in puzzlement when i gave a scowl when i heard it in their system.they couldn't hear anything wrong with the tune. well i thought, its because they haven't heard how it was really supposed to sound. some amps can really get the prat right, some just don't. and of course to others this doesn't really matter because they were not in the studio to begin with so why bother. point is for me prat is real, its just up to you if you want to give it that much importance. prat is definitely associated with time and the dynamic capabilities of your system. one way to check it? get a guitar instructional audio cd, buy or borrow a guitar tuner and check if the gutar coming out of the speakers is in tune with your tuner or not. if not, then your system is altering the signal, kung sharp bumilis sya, kung flat, bumagal. tapos kung mahina pa sa dynamics yung system, the whole presentation will sound flat and mechanical, hence no pace, rhythm and timing.

You are right Zach, I only realized what PRAT really is after I started attending live performances every Sunday without fail for almost 2 years now. I became picky about equipments since then. My old Dynaco haven't conveyed the PRAT which resulted to my loss of interest in listening to my system. There was a time when I did not listen to my system for more than 2 months.

Having listened to Edgarhorns and LivingVoice speakers, which sounded so realistic just added to my agony. I thougt before that I can only achieve PRAT with these speakers which for now is way above my budget. BTW, I will buy LV in my next speaker upgrade. When? Not in the near future....:)
Have also listened to CJ componets which in my opinion are among the best by sounding very close to being real (PRAT and tonality). But CJ prices are quite stiff and I seldom see them in the used market. Have also listened to Diva Audio components and in my opinion is on par with CJs but not costing a fortune. I am now using a Diva Audio Blue Sky Signature Edition in place of my Dynaco and to my ears is a PRAT and realistically sounding amplifier. PEACE......
zenn

Previous

Return to General Audio