Built-in phono stage vs external phono preamp

Solidstate (amps, preamps), Tweaks, Cables, New gear, etc...

Moderators: Hyperion, KD

Built-in phono stage vs external phono preamp

Postby sti2011 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:03 am

I currently have a Marantz PM6005 integrated amp. Is an external phono preamp, i.e Lehmann Black Cube, better than the built-in one? If yes, will it be a big improvement? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sti2011

Re: Built-in phono stage vs external phono preamp

Postby allyson » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:31 pm

We have the same question bro,kaso wala nag rereply. :^)
allyson
Citizen
Citizen

Postby nicole » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:05 am

I use Rega Fono Mini in my Onkyo TX3000 (80's receiver) with built in phono stage, why? For me mas ok sounds ng external phono preamp compare to the built in phono stage ng Onkyo TX3000 ko. Depende na sa iyo yan, you can bring your amp to some audio store or you can borrow phono preamp from your friends to try which is much better.

Good luck

nicole
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:22 am

Also, it depends on the type of cartridge you will use. If your built-in phonostage does not have the settings your cartridge requires, then you will need an external phonostage
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:21 pm

Yes it does, unless your built in phonostage comes with a set of switches that will enable you to adjust settings based on a specific cartridge.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby allyson » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:01 pm

I had a preamp with an onboard phonostage and im happy the way it sounds,my question is,if you mate tube phono preamp to a solidstate gear,how's the sound quality?
allyson
Citizen
Citizen

Postby darkest_error » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:48 pm

nicole wrote:I use Rega Fono Mini in my Onkyo TX3000 (80's receiver) with built in phono stage, why? For me mas ok sounds ng external phono preamp compare to the built in phono stage ng Onkyo TX3000 ko. Depende na sa iyo yan, you can bring your amp to some audio store or you can borrow phono preamp from your friends to try which is much better.

Good luck

Overall, although this would depend heavily on the whole setup (cart, loading, TT, alignment etc), how would you describe the sound performance of the Rega Fono Mini? I'm currently using a built-in phono stage from my Trio stereo amplifier connected to an all-stock 1200Mk2 and an NOS Shure V15 III cart and needle. Is it a bright sounding preamp? How about the warmth? Soundstaging? Thanks!
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby nicole » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 pm

The only reason i use the Rega Fono Mini because it's louder (more gain) compare to the built in phono stage of Onkyo TX3000, then i just play around with the tone control to compensate high & low frequency. Rega Fono Mini is a neutral sounding phono preamp, not too bright not too warmth, tama lang. (para sa akin ha)

darkest_error wrote:
nicole wrote:I use Rega Fono Mini in my Onkyo TX3000 (80's receiver) with built in phono stage, why? For me mas ok sounds ng external phono preamp compare to the built in phono stage ng Onkyo TX3000 ko. Depende na sa iyo yan, you can bring your amp to some audio store or you can borrow phono preamp from your friends to try which is much better.

Good luck

Overall, although this would depend heavily on the whole setup (cart, loading, TT, alignment etc), how would you describe the sound performance of the Rega Fono Mini? I'm currently using a built-in phono stage from my Trio stereo amplifier connected to an all-stock 1200Mk2 and an NOS Shure V15 III cart and needle. Is it a bright sounding preamp? How about the warmth? Soundstaging? Thanks!
nicole
Citizen
Citizen

Postby darkest_error » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:34 am

nicole wrote:The only reason i use the Rega Fono Mini because it's louder (more gain) compare to the built in phono stage of Onkyo TX3000, then i just play around with the tone control to compensate high & low frequency. Rega Fono Mini is a neutral sounding phono preamp, not too bright not too warmth, tama lang. (para sa akin ha)

darkest_error wrote:

Good luck

alright, how about noises like hum and hiss esp. between tracks? though i doubt there would be audible hum since the PS is already separated from the unit. yung hissing na lang? malakas or wala halos? ty
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby nicole » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 am

No hum no hiss, (just make sure the grounding cable from TT are properly connected to the grounding nut of rega fono mini)

nicole
Citizen
Citizen

Postby darkest_error » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:25 pm

alright, possibly at higher volume levels dun lang maririning yung hissing. and yes of course assuming that the ground wire is properly attached to the fono mini. Safe to assume that the soundstage is also impressive?
darkest_error
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:09 pm

allyson wrote:I had a preamp with an onboard phonostage and im happy the way it sounds,my question is,if you mate tube phono preamp to a solidstate gear,how's the sound quality?

If you like the way it (built in phono stage) sounds, then no reason to use an external one, unless it's for an upgrade.

Mating a tube phono preamp with SS gear shouldn't be a problem. The character of the phono stage will impact on the "sound quality." I have a Jolida JD9 tubed phono stage that I used to feed a Musical Fidelity SS preamp/amp. The combination sounded great IMO; the JD9 responds well to tube rolling and I could tweak the sound accordingly.

Hope this helps.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Audio