Roon

Solidstate (amps, preamps), Tweaks, Cables, New gear, etc...

Moderators: Hyperion, KD

Roon

Postby dimfer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:10 pm

can you guys in the Phils buy Roon from the Roon Labs website?

if yes and you want to try it first before you buy, pls send me a pm.

I am a retail partner for Roon and has a promotional code that will allow users of such to try Roon for 60 days, no credit card required, no commitment..

I am currently using this, and it is wonderful. It can be integrated with HQ Player and Tidal. HQP upsamples on the fly, therefore, you can playback your entire music file and stream Tidal Hi Fi up to DSD 256 a.k.a. quad DSD.

I can also hook you up with an HQP reseller who charges less than what Jussi charge at Signalyst.com.

guys, this combo is slick and fantastic... if you are still playing your digital file the traditional way, you have a lot of catching up to do, and probably missing a lot.

cheers,
Ding
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Roon

Postby allyson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Sent you Sir a pm. .
allyson
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:30 am

pm replied.. were you able to try it?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:24 am

Hey Ding
(long!)
I like the look of Roon, but their are lots of words on the Roon website! So i have a few questions.
My digital experience so far is best descried as a disaster. I recently took a large hammer to my WDTV thing and took great pleasure smashing it to pieces (i was so violent i broke the hammer, but it felt so good!) leaving me with NAS full of digital files that i cannot use. I have only dabbled in the low end because i am loath to spend money as to date i see too many issues. I will say the hard wired WDTV had no dropouts, played any format (i prefer flac) and was on my tv screen (which i want), but too many issues with hanging, device not found messages and it stopped showing my photo slideshow. This was the 2nd box in a year, Bye Bye.
So i am back to a laptop, itunes and airport express...with dropouts and no flac.

Questions that matter to me, finally
Can i display Roon on a tv screen or a monitor and operate it with a remote?
I really want to get away from having a laptop in front of me. If i could put a desktop CPU out of sight in a corner or another room, see Roon on my tv and control it from a remote it would make my own day.

Is it possible to get a decent music player / "streamer" for $250 - $500 max? (I think streamer is the right word, a replacement for the WDTV box). I wonder about brands such as Pioneer or Denon?

Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced one box media streamer for movies and music? (again i mean Pioneer, Denon etc.).
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby dimfer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi Paul,

I don't know about controlling Roon with a remote, but your Core or server can be controlled by a device like an ipad, or android tablet.

you will basically install Roon in your core device or server like you would in Jriver.

please refer to this illustration

I am currently using a fanless NUC I bought for less than US$ 200 as my streamer

Here's my setup at home

Lenovo T430 I5 Laptop with 500 gb hd used as server. In this laptop, I have my music library, Roon, Tidal and HQ Player - this laptop is connected to a gigabit ethernet router..

NUC Streamer is also wired (ethernet) connected to the router so that the server and the streamer has a strong and solid communication. It was believed that the quality of the connection affects the sound, and I think it is true because in my experience, the sound is not as good when the server is streaming wirelessly. some people even use fiber optic isolation. I paid a guy $90 for the operating software for the Streamer. I don't exactly what it is, but it is quite big 16 gb. The streamer is then connected to the Dac via USB. I used Uptone Regen Amber in between the Streamer and the Dac, but it's optional.

according to the guys at computeraudiophile.com, this setup sounds better than connecting your laptop or server directly to the DAC.

I control my server/Roon on my ipad by using TeamViewer.

as for streamer that stream music and movies - I use Nvidia Shield. we stream Kodi a lot on my ht, no need to go to movie house anymore. The Shield is supposed to be the best android tv streamer you can get.. can stream up to 4k resolution, and when the streaming server is good, the stream is very smooth with no buffering (we have 50 mbps internet service at home) I also have it wired to the router to get the full bandwidth/speed.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby allyson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi Ding,my computer is too old :@ (Intel Centrino)and doesnt have OpenGL 3.0,so i cannot open the Roon. :(
allyson
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:21 am

allyson wrote:Hi Ding,my computer is too old :@ (Intel Centrino)and doesnt have OpenGL 3.0,so i cannot open the Roon. :(

sayang Bro
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Audio