Suggestions for Mothballed Stuff

Solidstate (amps, preamps), Tweaks, Cables, New gear, etc...

Moderators: Hyperion, KD

Suggestions for Mothballed Stuff

Postby makinao » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:23 pm

I’ve got some old components which have been in cold storage for about 20 years. I'm moving house soon, funds are tight, and I don't think I can spend much for repairs. So I'd appreciate some advice on what to do with these.

Nakamichi 582 - it was set to 110 but someone plugged it into 220 and it died. I suspect it was more than a fuse that blew because of the smoke and smell. I never had it checked after. I'm sure all the belts are either loose or disintegrated by now though. My brother has another one and it lights up, but the transport will not run. I used to have them serviced in Audiophile, but I don't think they do Nakamichi anymore.

Technics SL-3200 direct drive turntable - I tried it a few days ago and it works, but the strobe light says it runs slow. The joint of the cover is broken too, so it won't flip up.

Shure V15 type V MM cartridge - styli are out of production, and replacements are expensive boutique items available only in the US and Japan. Its a pity because it used to sound and track fantastic.

Carver M-400 power amp - Won't power up. I really don't want to part with this because it's so unusual. But I don't know of anyone who can fix it here.

Pioneer analog tuner - I bought this second hand but I hardly used it because my house is in a really terrible reception area. It was working when I put it in storage.

Tascam 144 4-track cassette mixer-recorder - before it went into storage it would light up, but the monitor section wasn't working. Like the Nakamichi, the belts are probably dead already.

Technics SLP7 linear tracking turntable - this belongs to my sister. It turns on but the arm won't move. I've read that unfreezing it is very difficult, and parts are scarce.

Yamaha RM602 6-channel mixer (with phono preamp) - The pots and switches are scratchy and need cleaning, and my old technician who used to maintain it said the faders were "pudpud na". I used this to death from the 80s to the 90s (on some "historic" recordings at that), and lent it out to fellow musicians who needed a small portable submixer before cheap Behringers arrived in the market.
makinao
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Suggestions for Mothballed Stuff

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:38 am

You can always put them out for display, if you have the space in your new house. If you are willing to let these go, I'm sure there will be interested individuals that would be willing to buy them from you and have it repaired.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Re: Suggestions for Mothballed Stuff

Postby Mamimili » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:58 pm

what is the model number of the Pioneer tuner?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Return to General Audio