Synergies - where we share what match-ups have worked!

Moderator: JackD201

Synergies - where we share what match-ups have worked!

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:42 pm

Dear WS members,

This is the corner where we can share our experiences and discoveries with regards to stuff that just go together like jam and bread or since we are in the Philippines Adobo and Rice. It does not matter if you no longer own the combination you posted or if you never even owned it. You especially don't need to have fancy gear to post here. In fact this is primarily meant to be a resource for newbies to help narrow down their shortlists. For the old-timers in the hobby it will be an opportunity to give something back. For us mods, it will be some fun reading! Finding odd ball , unexpected combinations that work is one of the best parts of this hobby. We hope we'll get to see some of these too! For those that normally prefer to lurk please take this opportunity for the rest of the community to get to know you.

Just some simple guidelines:

1. Please give a brief introduction of your listening biases and whatever information about yourself and your audio life so others can better imagine and understand your posts. You need to do this only once.

2. Including the prices of the equipment listed is OPTIONAL however since the follow up questions will definitely include the ubiquitous "Magkano yan" as well as "Saan mabibili yan" you may save yourself the trouble of answering posts and PMs to that effect and include it from the get go.

3. Please respect the opinions of fellow members. This is a purely subjective corner. If you disagree please do it in an agreeable manner.

4. We will be opening up the topics for you. Please keep posts within the proper topics for easy referencing. If your combination does not fall within an existing topic, you may start a new one.

5. This is the most important one! Don't forget to share what about the combination you like!

Enjoy!!!!!!

VD and your Mods
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Jack,

Maybe it would be better if in their posts, also include the condition of the room, say if it's in a living room, bedroom or music room (acoustically treated or not) :D

Just a suggestion :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:04 pm

You may do as you like Jon :D

It's up to members how much of themselves they wanna share though ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby onedown » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:07 pm

might as well include the type of music often listened too. a certain combo might be very good for one type of music not so good for another type of music. :)
onedown
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 pm

"listening biases and whatever information about yourself and your audio life"

This covers it. ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby michael corleone » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Last edited by michael corleone on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael corleone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Audio Research amp and Magnepan loudspeakers.

This combo may be as 'lock and key', if you will, as Batman and Robin or Stockton and Malone (definitely NOT Shaq and Kobe :lol: ).

Small wonder many dealers, like to carry and match these two components together. Closest to us, would be Excel Hifi of HK in the 80s and 90s. I realized the magic of this combo when my ARC VS110s replaced the JA 200 monos. Despite the brand new price disparity (Jadis 3 times more expensive than the ARC), the ARC was able to hold its own in making me NOT miss my Jadis mono's once they went away for good. When I see the visual physical disparity even, 1 chassis against the Frenchie's FOUR chassis, I shake my head and say, there's got to be some magic in this combo for it to hold its own. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:32 am

Nice forum, Jack!

I wonder why no one thought of this before?

Great read already. :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:17 am

michael corleone wrote:Fratellino - just got a near mint SF Concerto Home ( kaya absent ako kay DanteLapia last Sunday :) ) as back up unit to yaya's Unison Research Unico / Opera Prima combo but to our surprise ( VM was with me ), it did not performed well with the Unico. I would say and JayR concluded too that the Unico / Prima is well - matched. Could it be the right synergy 'coz they are both made by the same manufacturer :?: :roll: It's a different story though when i hooked up the Concerto into other amps ( MF a300, Sonic Frontiers ),the result was really magnificent. The Concerto is not leaving my house. :wink:

DON,

try matching the SF with a tube CJ or any 6550/kt88 variant. it will take the sf into another level.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:27 am

zenaudio wrote:Nice forum, Jack!

I wonder why no one thought of this before?

Great read already. :)

jack is jack

it takes a jack to think of something like this... :-D

agree, thanks jack
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby sinar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:05 am

i have mostly xlo cables in all my systems, from their second tier and trickling down to their entry level.

i've been through several brands when i was starting in audio, from mid level audioquest, vdh (revelation, the wind, the first) and transparent reference xl speaker cables and ultra xl ic. i also heard several brands brought in by dealers and friends to test in my system, like the cardas top model (i can't remember the name but the jacket is red), nbs, kimber select series, and wireworld gold eclipse series. btw, i heard these all before acquiring my all xlo cabling in my main system.

later on, i was able to get a used xlo signature 1.1 ic and after realizing the difference from all the brands i've tried in my system, i asked my audio buddy if they could bring in xlo. and as they say, naks, the rest is history.

xlo just matches up in all my mark levinson system specially their speaker cables to my 3 different speakers (verity audio parsifal, dyn contour 1.8mkII, ruark crusader II). the bass were usually bloated and sluggish from the other brands i've used.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Synergies - where we share what match-ups have worked!

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:51 pm

JackD201 wrote:5. This is the most important one! Don't forget to share what about the combination you like!

stressing up lang sirs...

i hope that posters can give their evaluation of the combinations posted. This will give non-users idea of what quality can be achieved from the match-ups.

most of the common questions... newbies or otherwise... would be something like.... my system is this and this... how would i make it sound a little of that

this thread is something most of us may need now or later as a guide for our future upgrades or fine tuning. and keep the expensive guess work as well as the frequent turnover of equipments to a minimum just because the desired sound seems to be unachievable.

btw, very nice thread mods :D
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Re: Synergies - where we share what match-ups have worked!

Postby leo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:58 pm

halls wrote:
JackD201 wrote:5. This is the most important one! Don't forget to share what about the combination you like!

stressing up lang sirs...

i hope that posters can give their evaluation of the combinations posted. This will give non-users idea of what quality can be achieved from the match-ups.

most of the common questions... newbies or otherwise... would be something like.... my system is this and this... how would i make it sound a little of that

this thread is something most of us may need now or later as a guide for our future upgrades or fine tuning. and keep the expensive guess work as well as the frequent turnover of equipments to a minimum just because the desired sound seems to be unachievable.

btw, very nice thread mods :D

Yep, agree.

Congratulations on to the mods. This is very fruitful.
leo
Citizen
Citizen

Return to S.Y.N.E.R.G.I.E.S