Deleted Old Posts

If you have technical problems encountered in the forum, do let us know, and we'll try to sort it out.

Deleted Old Posts

Postby venturevul » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:35 am

Hi, I re-activated my account and it looks like my old posts were deleted. Are they gone for good?
venturevul

Re: Deleted Old Posts

Postby JackD201 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi VV,

The site has gone through several migrations over the years but this is the first I've heard of posts being zapped while the user profile hasn't. I'll ask Davi, our site administrator what might have caused this. I have no idea at all of the old posts can be retrieved.

All the Best,

Jack
JackD201
Immortal

Postby venturevul » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for checking.

Also, with posts deleted, my post count restarted to 0 and I am restricted from posting in the buy and sell section.

I was hoping to meet up and sell some of my vinyl again with pinoydiphiles like my last visit to Pinas.
venturevul

Postby JackD201 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:52 am

I think we can make an exception in your case. We were planning on dropping the 50 post requirement anyway to liven up the B&S section. More info to follow.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:09 am

Hi.

I'm still in favor of the 50 posts requirement. I hate to see an newbie with a first post selling everything even with the kitchen sink.

Best,
Jo
jo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bennjude19 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 am

jo wrote:Hi.

I'm still in favor of the 50 posts requirement. I hate to see an newbie with a first post selling everything even with the kitchen sink.

Best,
Jo

+1 Newbies should learn and earn their way in before they can post to the B&S Section. BTW did someone sell a kitchen sink in here :D good day to al
bennjude19
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:57 am

Hi Jo,

The management team including the site owner have been discussing this in depth. The rule is limited to audio products only so we don't have to be afraid of having quite "everything" being sold. The pro is that hopefully you the members will get a crack at more options for new and used audio toys. The only con would be that the site will have to declare a clear "Buyer Beware" stand, a "Seller Beware" stand too. That was the spirit of the 50 post rule, so supposedly we could get to know the seller by his posts. This has not proven to be much of a safeguard as there have been cases of members having more than 50 posts with flawed or failed transactions, thus the idea of lifting the limits.

We believe the site culture which is now over 10 years old, is firmly in place now making self policing the norm rather than the exception, as was the case of the lifting of all bans two years ago. In any case, thank you for your inputs. The decision isn't final yet.

Best,

Jack
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Hello Jack.

I went to a BDO this week. And a new client was opening a checking account. The bank officer told him he could not withdraw his deposit within six months and would only be issue bank checks after the six months period. I think this is the same logic with our 50 posts requirement. But I'll keep my mind open on this, and majority rule.

Best,
Jo
jo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi Jo,

Thank you for keeping an open mind. If you've noticed buying and selling makes up a big chunk of WS' traffic. Of this chunk, it is software that often dominates the New Posts board on a daily basis. Hardware sales (second hand) used to be but is now shall we say "Deader than Disco". There is an imbalance now between the WS mission, to foster friendships in audio because audio is the combination of interests in software, hardware and the sharing of views on the same. A vibrant site is one that has a healthy balance of all three. The sharing part is a concern and here is why… I personally think the 50 post restriction unintentionally contributed (along with other factors of course, I just want to make it clear I'm not singling this out) to the drop in new registrants. Along with the drop of new registrants came the dwindling of the number of discussions threads. What we have now in my own estimations are us few "sukis" and contributors. We've not been able to create a self sustaining churn rate much less one of growth. There are a lot of hobbies audio competes with and only so little time for a hobbyist to spend online.

It is incumbent on the site management team to try and create an environment that encourages discussions with the caveat that these discussions are conducted in an always mindful and respectful manner. We all want more discussions, we want discussions with a broader range of viewpoints even more. it is clear that there are a number of things that can be done to entice lurkers to actually register. The Buy and Sell section is just one of many. It is a free service to the community that in the early years of WS (pre-restriction) drew in many new members. While some came and went after their transactions, many stayed on to become very active members and the downward trajectory coincided with the implementation of the said rule. As amending or repealing the rule is something that can be done instantly and can be reinstalled just as instantly, it is thus something that can be tried.

Then there is WS' mission to encourage local creativity in the audio market (DIY) and help in creating growth in this sector. I personally believe that an increase n membership can in turn broaden the market bases of our intrepid DIY'ers and maybe even allow them to go commercial and giving them the opportunity to do what we all dream of, make a living doing something we love.

The current structure of the management team tasked by the site owner VD is composed of a subset of the global moderators (yellow). The issue will be voted on by the members of this group of which I am just one.

Again, thanks for not just keeping an open mind but also for sharing your thoughts with us. I'm sure the other global mods are reading this too.

ATB

JD201
JackD201
Immortal

Postby allyson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Ang ganda ng paliwanag,nice one cong.jack. . .ur constituent from Angono. 8)
allyson
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Mabuhay ka Allyson :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 am

i believed the dwindling of ws viewership and post came very much later than when the 50 posts limit was adapted. it happened during the time when members' marketplace was relegated to a subforum that does not appear in the top10 post. the result of some complaints that there is nothing new to read except for software for sale. now, it is just nothing to read period. hehe

im for the 50 posts rule. not only but most important for the protection of buyers, but more of atleast any seller coming in gets to feel what the community wants and should offer as such. Quality. and that should also go for the hardware and other stuffs. If you see the different local fb groups and pages offering lps, you see grading such as "as is where is" , superior, etc. Atleast we here have the goldmine standard to adhere to.

on legitimate commercial store wanting to sell their ware here, my suggestion is an offer page announcing their contacts and shops and nothing more. we have to understand that there are new ones out there that are very interesting and limiting their participation in the forum is our loss. listing of items for sale circumvents the 50 posts rule though so if they want to post individual item, then the 50 posts rule should apply. well for me, they could develop new friends (read potential customers) in their initial 50 posts anyhow.

On renewed enthusiasm on ws, i guess the upcoming hifi show is a good venue to start rekindling that spirit. hopefully with a grand reunion party rather than several small groups gatherings that's been going on for quite a while. sounds sentimental? dont mind me. just looking a a free grand drinking session hehehe
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby JackD201 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Nols,

Again, the Buy and Sell including LF (Looking for) is for personal items of members. Stores like yours and ours already have corners so I don't see your point. Labas na tayo dito. Lahat naman ng professional sellers lampas lampas diyan, puwede pa nga magpautang ng posts. :D

As I've stated, 50 posts do not guarantee anything as far as transactions go. Supposing the 50 post were made up of 20 reservations for CDs, 10 of them were +1s and the remainder smileys? As a mod yourself do you want to take on the job of filtering each post to see if it makes the grade? Fact is, even if all 50 posts are done better than William Shakespeare, that's not going to tell us if a seller is offering something good or a buyer will pay the seller. Mauuwi pa rin lahat sa tamang ingat at pagaaral eh. Buyer AND Seller beware. Wala namang bata dito, we're all adults and the assumption is that we can take care of ourselves. Hindi na yung babantay pa tayo parang yaya. Libre na nga eh.

Now kung ganuun nga, what is left? It is simply restrictive instead of inclusive. Sabi ko nga maraming contributory sa dwindling of ACTIVE membership. 50 posts just one. People don't realize that there were others. For example for a time guests had to register before gaining access to the meaty threads. Tinanggal na yung policy na iyan. OVER moderation in which I admit I played a part. Tanggal na rin. This however caused exits not a barrier to entry.

Now let's say I'm a lurker and I have an item to sell. I post the description and as per the rules the price. Someone asks me a question, I answer. Someone asks me why I'm selling it and what I'm replacing it with, I answer. Someone asks me my impressions about the unit, I answer. I now ask what the guys are using, they answer. THAT is a bonafide discussion. I say okay pala dito ah and since the ice is broken, I begin to join other discussions.

Malabo mangyari? Hindi eh, actually hindi hypothetical yung storya. Life story ko sa WS yun. 10 years and almost 10,000 posts later…………..
JackD201
Immortal

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:27 am

I'm very aware of the topic re members selling their unused stuff. I just based my opinion though on previous attempts when the first post is already an FS post. Didn't even bother to surf the board to read the guidelines. You might as well take down the selling rules.

You know that's a good idea. Example maybe you can donate your post count to a newbie so they can post instantly. Kinda like vouching for friends you know.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby JackD201 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 am

Ahhh. Now we get to it :) Mod meeting time!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:38 am

paging Davi

venturevul wrote:Hi, I re-activated my account and it looks like my old posts were deleted. Are they gone for good?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:45 am

JackD201 wrote:Ahhh. Now we get to it :) Mod meeting time!

tagal na :D

sige, perhaps during the hifi show?... some rules are outdated and team needs to review the site's mission too... :) and make meaningful changes to content, lay-out, rules, management, structure, mods, etc...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JackD201 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:27 pm

VD before or after malasing tayo? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby uniboy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:52 pm

may i suggest maintaining the minimum 50 "rule" . however, FS posts from "below 50 members" may require an approval from mods. Perhaps, a trust rating(%) could be added to all member's visible profile , vis-a-vis positive/negative feedback history (much like ebay) :)
uniboy

Postby zenaudio » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:28 am

While we're at it, is it possible to have a "Like" button? :up: :)
That way, we don't have to post a "+1" or a smiley. It will also show which posts are relevant/resonate more with the community.

PS: Hirap na talaga mag-isip ng bagong post, marami ko pa kailangan para maka-abot ng 2,000 posts, even after more than 10 years. :D :D :D
Ano nga pala status after "fanatic"? :D :D :D
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Helpdesk and Information