A Visit to JE's Attic

quality creations.
proudly philippine-made.

Moderators: joe3rp, ambel, Gaucho

A Visit to JE's Attic

Postby august » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:24 pm

It started when I bumped into je (setup 1) in a restaurant just outside of UP Los Banos. He was having a concert with Rudolf Golez at the DL Umali Auditorium that night. We had a pleasant conversation and I pestered him with inquiries regarding idler turntables and the 2A3, 45, and 300b amps. Sensing that I need further education on these matters, he promised that when he is freed from his commitments and teaching chores, he would invite me to his home to have a listen with different amp/preamp combination; turntables/arms/carts so that I will hear for myself the characteristic sounds of such combination.

Such came into fruition last December 28. After being greeted at the door by his charming mom..I proceeded to je’s attic..and what an attic it is! And I saw what everyone probably knows along..that indeed, je is a consummate music-lover and photography buff.

If you have visited je’s old website http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/welcome.htm, you would have an idea of his gear and his design philosophy. Anyway, nothing beats seeing the gear in person and much more important, hearing how they make music.

The music was just involving, foot-tapping, and downright fun. At one point, I was asking je what amplifier was playing (that’s what happen when one gets immersed in the music)…Rondstadt, Sinatra, Klemmer, Evans, Fagen, etc…just sounded so organic, so alive…

If I have to describe that visit in one word, it has to be “bliss” …great music, great company, great food and beverages (that adobo strips mixed with rice wrapped in banana leaves!).

I am so fortunate to be afforded such opportunity to experience the “attic experience”. I thank je and his family for being such gracious hosts..By the way, one of the highlights of my visit was conversing with je, Rex (T-Rex), Joel (setup 2), Chito (quarterback), je’s parents and sister during lunch and dinner about our roots, among others. I also learned that je’s friend, Ding (SETUP guy in NYC), used to be our neighbor in Bayan, Los Banos! And I used to frequent their house because his niece was my best friend…

Here are some pics I took. Please pardon the quality of the shots..I used a pocket camera…

The system. Notice the JEL SE300Bdx monoblocks at the bottom tiers (which je says he uses with his open baffle Altecs).

Altec 414Z/Altec 811b with 802D compression driver/Altec 3000H super tweeter

A view from the back. You’d notice that the 811b is one cast.

The Rek O Kut Rondine Jr. L-37/SME 3012/Denon DL-103. The L-37 has 2 speeds; 33 and 78 rpm

A closer view of the REK. Notice the pre-drilled hole at the back for another tonearm.

The Thorens TD-124 Mk. II/SME3012/Denon DL-103

The Garrard 301 (Grey)/Ortofon RMG309/SPU-GME in front and Schick 12"/Denon DL-103 at the back.

The Simple JEL 45/2A3 set amplifier

The JE De Luxe Preamplifier with outboard power supply.

JEL stereo SE2A3dx

The Mono Set-up. No wonder je loves this very much!

setup 1, quarterback, setup2, and T-Rex engaged in discussion about audio and non-audio matters.

I hope I got all right, he he..If I didn't, kindly correct na lang je....Many thanks!
august
Citizen
Citizen

Re: A Visit to JE's Attic

Postby tenderobject » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 am

ibang experience nga makapunta dyan!!! pareho tayo ng naramdaman. :)
ito fave ko na setup ni ser joseph!

(mondrian na speaker!)

and yes food, great company ang nagpasarap ng feeling pag bisita dyan. miss ko na kayo ni setup2 ha!

happy new year sa family mo ser joseph! hope to see you soon! nadyan pa ba yung rek o kut ko? >:P
tenderobject
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:38 am

thanks for sharing...nice pics of some great great music gear
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby august » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:57 pm

vintage_dog wrote:thanks for sharing...nice pics of some great great music gear

Your welcome, Sir Francis and thanks too...Btw, je has other gear which are hidden...I hope someday, he will have the time to set them up..
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby harvey_a_vasquez » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:16 pm

tenderobject wrote:ibang experience nga makapunta dyan!!! pareho tayo ng naramdaman. :)
ito fave ko na setup ni ser joseph!

Sir JE, love the paint job on the speakers!
Hope I can comeback sometime in the near future.
harvey_a_vasquez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby quizkidz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi mga Sirs,

sino po gumawa/nag assmble ng mga speakers(I have to assume all the amp/preamp gears wer by HARANA)?

Thank you,
quizkidz

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:07 am

quizkidz wrote:Hi mga Sirs,

sino po gumawa/nag assmble ng mga speakers(I have to assume all the amp/preamp gears wer by HARANA)?

Thank you,

check setup1's website:

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/welcome.htm ;) :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby randybarba » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing August. Hope to visit JE's attic in the future (malapit lang pala to sa amin). :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby narayan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 pm

+1 :) sa kabilang bundok lang naman kami :hai:
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quizkidz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Thank you Sir,,,, :)

Jon Agner wrote:

Thank you,

check setup1's website:

quizkidz

Postby august » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:28 am

randybarba wrote:Thanks for sharing August. Hope to visit JE's attic in the future (malapit lang pala to sa amin). :)

Hi Doc! You're welcome!
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:05 am

I wish i had an attic, we all need an attic :D

Thanks August, nice write up, you can feel JE's skill and passion!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby august » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 am

Mamimili wrote:I wish i had an attic, we all need an attic :D

Thanks August, nice write up, you can feel JE's skill and passion!

Hi Paul! Long time no see..You're welcome...and thanks too!
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby august » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 am

quizkidz wrote:Thank you Sir,,,, :)

Jon Agner wrote:

Thank you,

check setup1's website:

Hi quizkidz..while there in JE's attic, I noticed that his gear are running on 110 v..he's using STAC transformers..JE told me that he made those gear while he was in the US and were shipped here in the Philippines..The HARANA guys do make their amp/preamps too..At present there are collaborative projects between JE Labs and HARANA (www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=23031)..HARANA, particularly joe3rp does assemble high efficiency speakers..Thanks Idol Jon!
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby quizkidz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Sir August,

Thank you for the ''enlightenment''. Not being a DIY'er myself, I vaguely understand the terminologies of ''tubes'' and ''horns'' but I am very much impressed on the dedications of these enthusiasts AND the FRUITs of their ''labor'' esp after hearing ''live'' the HARANA setup at the recent Nov HiFi Show(Dusit Thani)and meeting Joel(tall guy?). Seeing the links ''1st official JE Labs/Harana collaboration!'' and JE's website/SET ....WOW! PICTURES pa lang ulam na!!!! hindi ko na muna itatanong kung magkano aabot ang isang modest system....hindi pa kaya ng budget,,,,

maraming salamat ulit sir,,,,

Hi quizkidz..while there in JE's attic, I noticed that his gear are running on 110 v..he's using STAC transformers..JE told me that he made those gear while he was in the US and were shipped here in the Philippines..The HARANA guys do make their amp/preamps too..At present there are collaborative projects between JE Labs and HARANA (viewtopic.php?f=82&t=23031)..HARANA, particularly joe3rp does assemble high efficiency speakers..Thanks Idol Jon![/quote]
quizkidz

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Jon Agner wrote:

Thank you,

check setup1's website:

Visited!

Links to Abe's photos are broken. :(

Miss ko na yung magkambal na yun ah. Asan na sila?

@August - Nice reporting Sir! Hope to get together with all of you guys soon! Konting Diet muna, sigurado +3 inches ang session na darating :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$
JackD201
Immortal

Postby august » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 am

JackD201 wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:

Thank you,

check setup1's website:

Visited!

Links to Abe's photos are broken. :(

Miss ko na yung magkambal na yun ah. Asan na sila?

@August - Nice reporting Sir! Hope to get together with all of you guys soon! Konting Diet muna, sigurado +3 inches ang session na darating :$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$

Many thanks Sir Jack! Btw, I could have sworn that it was you I saw last month in Los Banos..driving a black Bimmer X-5.....I was on my way to the office then...
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby setup1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks Andre for the pictures and kind words!

This attic session was a fulfillment of a promise to friends:
- as Andre mentioned, given the limited time we could shop talk at Dalicielo's when my schedule permitted, I'll invite him over to listen to my collection of amps, idler turntable/tonearms and etc.
- 2010 Holidays my neighbor Chito (quarterback) saw me working on my Mini, he had visitors waiting in his house so couldn't go up to the attic. Even then, his visit was long overdue. Salamat sa masarap na tuna panga!
- my friend, Rofiel decided two years ago to ditch his stereo system and revert to mono hi-fi. He has been waiting for the past year for two mono integrated amps - SE2A3 and SE10 which I only finished during the holidays. He could not make it to the session since he had balikbayan relatives but the amps are already in Batangas City.

JE Labs was coined with the original SETUP gang - Joel, Nonong and William after I was featured Homebrewer in Sound Practices by Joe Roberts. This was the result of a personal sabbatical leave from classical music between '97-'98 wherein I researched, bread boarded various tubes and circuits, experimented with high efficiency speakers, classic idler turntables, heavy mass tone arms/cartridges in search for a hi-fi system that will play the most LPs, CDs and other musical sources. I spent a considerable amount of time attending hamfests and radio shows to collect tubes, iron and vintage drivers.

The attic system is an evolution of this concept and has not strayed too far after all these years.

@ quizkidz - except for the Altec 614 cabinet which was built by a neighbor in the USA, I did most of the chassis and wood work for the attic system. Since I moved back to Manila in 2008 I've entrusted such matters to Joey's shop in Cubao because they do a much better job!

@ JackD201 - Abe is aware of the dead pic links...after he rectified the links, I realized I was not allowed to access the old website for updates from a remote server, so I started a blog.

Attic picture after Rex and Joel helped me unpack in preparation for the Hi-Fi Show in 2008.

Recently Joel and I were reminiscing back to the 90s when we used to exchange ASCII schematics, listening notes on 9-pin vs. their older octal and 5-pin brethren, TD124 vs. 301, Altec 604 vs. 755, OB vs. bass reflex boxes and etc...eventually we started tallying how many amps and preamps we've built since and were both surprised at the number and friends we've made through the hobby.

JEL is an avocation and a fitting extension to my true vocation of being a musician. So far it's been a nice ride... :D
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:05 pm

@August - Baka si Kambal Joel yun :lol:

@Joseph - I've been following your website for some years now but only recently revisited it. I always wanted to get your CDs but you were in the States at the time. Now that you are here.....in the immortal words........."Mayroon ba tayo diyan?" :devil: :devil: :devil:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby setup1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:28 pm

JackD201 wrote:@Joseph - I've been following your website for some years now but only recently revisited it. I always wanted to get your CDs but you were in the States at the time. Now that you are here.....in the immortal words........."Mayroon ba tayo diyan?" :devil: :devil: :devil:

Out of print na...pero madali lang yan, nasa Ipod ni Joey or detubs hi-res files. If you are in a hurry just rip them :lol: otherwise, next time we see each other :rock:
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to >> HARANA AUDIO / SET-UP / TONO <<