Steel Products

Steel Products

Postby dimfer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:38 pm

Anybody working or has connection in the steel industry?

our biggest steel supplier, Samuel & Son purchased two of their competitors (Namasco and Encore Metals) in the past year or so.

this is bad news for steel users like us, because it severely limited our choice for suppliers. I am now left with Wilkinson Steel, Cascadia and other smaller players.

our company uses around one million pounds of galvanized products per year, and we expect to use more in the future as we are concentrating more in galvanized venting now. our sister company uses around two million pounds per year. we have never purchased mill direct before, and this post could be a "suntok sa buwan" - but hey, I am willing to give it a try. Samuel went from being our cheapest source (before) to being 20% more than their competitors during my inquiry last week.

most of our steel suppliers buy their products from China, Taiwan & Korea.

for our company use - I am looking for

coils - max of 10,000 lbs

.012 or .013 galvanized G60 coating in 30" - 48" wide
.017 G90 in 36" or 48"
.021 G90 in 36" or 48"

PS: I forgot to mention, I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Last edited by dimfer on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm

You have pm.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:51 pm

thanks, you got pm too 8)
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 pm

Hello Tube Newbie,

I work for a bank, and am specifically engaged in proposing to my top management prospective clients requiring bank loans.

I am presently cooking up a deal with a steel company engaged in the manufacture, and local / export sale of galvanized coils / sheets. If all goes well (I'll be able to know within the month if it materializes), I'll hook you up with this client of ours.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby dimfer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:57 pm

thanks Dr MsM, let me know when you're ready, I'll give you my email info
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Tube Newbie wrote:thanks Dr MsM, let me know when you're ready, I'll give you my email info

Sent you a PM, Tube Newbie. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby dimfer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 am

pm'd you back.

Thanks
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 am

After you seal the deal Mr. Bigtime Investment Banker please buy my HRX :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

as stated

Postby plasticsoul » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:42 pm

anu ho pinag-iba ng cold rolled sa hot rolled sheets? saan ginagamit ung dalawa? alin ang mas mahal? saang site makakuha ng steel price? for purposes lang ng case study. tnx.
plasticsoul
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:31 pm

Hot Rolled Coils (HRC) are coils which are hot. :twisted:
Cold Rolled Coils (CRC) are coils which are cold. :lol:

:lol: :lol: Kidding aside, well, I'm not a technical person or anything, but CRCs are HRCs which went through another process, and made them thinner. :D CRCs are more workable and can be used in numerous applications such as GI sheets or roffing materials. 8)

HRCs came slabs which are heated and soaked in a reaheating furnace. The end result in in hot process is HRC. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Re: Automatic Ductline

Postby dimfer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

I had a couple potential metal supplier leads thanks to this post. Unfortunately I did not get too far. Would have been nice, maybe we will try again later.

I placed my orders in a Canadian mill - our steel industry was hit hard due to the slump in the car industry, they could use some help too.

Anyway - another suntok sa buwan.

We are in the market for new or used automatic ductline. I had inquired with Iowa Precision about their ProDuctomatic and this is exactly what we need. But, madugo. We are considering used or made in China equivalents.

I had been inquiring with the Canadian & American dealers already - but who knows, baka may WS member na into this line of business.

Suntok sa buwan.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Steel Products

Postby bass_nut » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:56 pm

bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby FlyMe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:44 pm

I'm in the steel steel manufacturing business.

You're right, the best place to get now are China and Taiwan. Korea is still on the high side. Estimated price of GI Primes is about USD880.00/MT and still dropping. I can you some leads should you need it.

Imports of of steel in the Philippines is killing the local galvanizers as in it retails 20% lower.
FlyMe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:03 am

FlyMe wrote:I'm in the steel steel manufacturing business.

You're right, the best place to get now are China and Taiwan. Korea is still on the high side. Estimated price of GI Primes is about USD880.00/MT and still dropping. I can you some leads should you need it.

Imports of of steel in the Philippines is killing the local galvanizers as in it retails 20% lower.

thanks for this info.

Canadian mills are hungry now because of the closure of the GM plants in Ontario. The .013 ga. coils that we use a lot of are now down to around Cdn$ 50/cwt delivered to our door, with the Cdn exchange rate, freight and duties, I think it is at par or even better than the Chinese materials. They used to be around Cdn $80 cwt (or per 100 lbs) nung kalantikan ng contruction sa China before the Olympics.

I have around 500,000 lbs arriving April 1. Our supplier gave me a heck of a deal on my last order, stock and draw for 90 days, at pwede pang i-charge sa aking Visa. woohoo, rebate time.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 am

thanks Doc. I think I found exactly what I am looking for already, a used one in Minnesota. It is the bigger model that can do insulated ducts as well. Pro Fabriduct, made by Iowa Precision as well. It looks like this. This thing runs 75' long

this thing is cool

pasensya na. wala lang magawa :devil:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JoeyGS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:12 am

HI,

Why not check-out ISPAT or Global Steel as they are called here, an indian company who bought our National Steel in Iligan. They did a good jobe of restoring National Steel back into operations.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
JoeyGS
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:28 am

dimfer wrote:
We are in the market for new or used automatic ductline. I had inquired with Iowa Precision about their ProDuctomatic and this is exactly what we need. But, madugo. We are considering used or made in China equivalents.
I had been inquiring with the Canadian & American dealers already - but who knows, baka may WS member na into this line of business.
Suntok sa buwan.

What is the market you are targetting: aircon ducting?
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:48 am

O.D. Yeo wrote:
dimfer wrote:
Suntok sa buwan.

What is the market you are targetting: aircon ducting?

yes. residential and commercial heating and cooling
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 pm

JoeyGS wrote:HI,

Why not check-out ISPAT or Global Steel as they are called here, an indian company who bought our National Steel in Iligan. They did a good jobe of restoring National Steel back into operations.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
JoeyGS

Global Steel? No way! :@
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby darvin2138 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:27 pm

dimfer wrote:

thanks Doc. I think I found exactly what I am looking for already, a used one in Minnesota. It is the bigger model that can do insulated ducts as well. Pro Fabriduct, made by Iowa Precision as well. It looks like this. This thing runs 75' long

this thing is cool

pasensya na. wala lang magawa :devil:

Just saw this thread.....anyway..

@ dimfer

How's your Iowa Precision so far? How's the performance? The reason why I'm asking is we just bought the same brand machine "Full Line Fully Automated Profabriduct" last January 2009, brand new. May I ask what is your line of business? Is it manufacturing or construction? We bought the machine to support our own construction business and not yet entering manufacturing to support other contractor here in Manila. TIA
darvin2138
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to BUSINESS MATTERS