** Watch Watching **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

Postby dogears » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:26 am

Casio na nga lang! :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

rolex

Postby XLR_silver » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:30 am

jonas wrote:a good thing about not buying a rolex is that people will not be constantly asking you "is that real?"

doc jonas,

mukhang nagkalat nga ang pekeng swiss watches.

i may be off topic but which sellers of second hand rolex (not the vintage models) have a good reputation here in manila? has anyone tried to buy or trade-in one model for another?

thanks!
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby efm2 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:02 am

It depends on what you like it to do for you. Most of us would like to wear something that can be easily recognized as expensive and Rolex always fits the bill. But I'm still lusting for a Patek or Breguet which will not even merit a second look because it just look so ordinary with a leather strap. So, to impress others buy a Rolex. To impress yourself buy another ( Patek, Breguet, Audemar, Vacheron etc). But for accuracy which will beat any of the above watches buy a Timex :-)
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:35 am

I want a breitling.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:43 am

vintage_dog wrote:ahhh....

patek p

having said that,

- none of my friends own a patek. those who buy the hi-end watches buy the rolex. i only saw the patek in exhibits, magazines. they always have that certain appeal. not sure about their reliability though.

- my father is a rolex fan. he bought one in 1956. he always boasted about how accurate it was. i now have that gold-tone watch. it has his name engraved at the back. it goes for regular maintenance at the rolex center every 10 years and works perfectly. a true treasure. someday, i'll just pass it on to my son...

- i have another one with the white gold bezel. i bet some mistake it for a fake one and i don't care. i use it regularly because i don't have to worry about batteries and it's so reliable.

- i also have a vintage omega divewatch. i never use it. mabigat eh

- i also have a porma gold manipis na omega. leather straps. dress watch daw, but i end up using the rolex. :-) hassle ang strap.

i guess, for reliability and ease of maintenance, i'd still go for a rolex.

altho i'd really love those vintage patek's...

now, let's hear from the vintage watch collectors. paging oldfogey...

:-)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ichabod » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:50 am

I like this comment: It reveals one's self, if you're ostentatious or not. "my experience in the US, only the immigrant doctors (pinoy included) love rolex. the american doctors were happy wearing a black band casio digital to work."

A friend of mine who can readily afford a rolex bought a fake one in HK instead. On his return home, the wife said to him, "if you wear that watch for 3 long years, it's like you'd been fooling everybody you're sporting a rolex for 3 years. Guess what? He immediately bought a genuine Omega!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:12 am

here's one i like. $89,500 only!

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Skabyol » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:48 am

Some watches can tell the time in 10 different places, can tell time to the millisecond, has a stop watch, countdown timer, and a 365 day calendar.

Some watches can just tell the time and how much money you have. :D

If ever I were to buy an expensive luxury watch i would like to have all the quality, looks, dependability and the status that goes with it. In my circle rolex is regarded as a status symbol so it would be my choice as a luxury watch.
Skabyol
Citizen
Citizen

Re: rolex

Postby jonas » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:54 am

[quote="XLR_silver"
doc jonas,
mukhang nagkalat nga ang pekeng swiss watches.
i may be off topic but which sellers of second hand rolex (not the vintage models) have a good reputation here in manila? has anyone tried to buy or trade-in one model for another?
thanks![/quote]

im not really a collector (no funds), just an enthusiast. i do know quite a few private sellers of used rolex,cartier and the like. but i will never buy from them even if theyre friends and relatives. i guess im just chicken to buy something so expensive and yet you dont know how it was handled before or whether it was even stolen!

maybe the other members of wiredstate can help out? i noticed upon becoming an audiofool 2 years ago, quite a number of audiophiles also like nice expensive watches. ive noticed quite a number of rolex, omega, panerai, cartier and bulgari around the wrists of guys hanging around the shops of rene, sonny, epoy and nico,etc.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:09 am

jonas wrote:.... ive noticed quite a number of rolex, omega, panerai, cartier and bulgari around the wrists of guys hanging around the shops of rene, sonny, epoy and nico,etc.

those watches are fake. guys who wear real rolex, etc. only go to LIS...

:lol:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ichabod » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:22 am

The PP is the watch to wear. Beautiful. Supposed to be a watch that tells all time -- every generation. The only watch you'll ever have to buy -- for all time!

In the meantime, I'll roll up me sleeves and start digging if there's oil in my backyard.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jamants » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:02 am

oh like VD and the rest of the guys i'd definitely go for a Patek, but i dont mind a vintage Explorer 1 or a Paul Newman =)
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby keith » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:14 am

I'd go with IWC, Breguet or Patek :)
keith
walastick

Postby AA 1 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:19 am

OFFICINE PANERAI
Luminor Submersible

AA 1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rossifumi46 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:25 am

tthe patek looks nice! at $90,000 it should be!! wow buong audio system na yan!
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rossifumi46 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:38 am

rtsy, thanx for your mini tutorial on how to buy a watch:) im a watch enthusiast, i like looking at watches.. not collecting them.. hehehe... of course like in audio if the budget permits id buy one though with the wide range of choices its soo hard to determine exactly which one...
let your wrist decide... as in audio, the pocket decides first.. hahaha
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Oldfogey » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Whoa, just came across this thread, a lot of nice watches! Francis, Russ, those are very very nice choices. :)

I'd look at the complicated Pateks; Breguet, A. Lange & Sohne and FP Journe are also interesting. All are quite low-key and understated.

of
Oldfogey

Postby rossifumi46 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:36 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
jonas wrote:.... ive noticed quite a number of rolex, omega, panerai, cartier and bulgari around the wrists of guys hanging around the shops of rene, sonny, epoy and nico,etc.

those watches are fake. guys who wear real rolex, etc. only go to LIS...

:lol:

pwede ka pala mag suot ng peke na rolex para maka audiotion sa LIS hehehe :D
marunog kaya kumilatis mga sales man dun?!? hehe
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby pjohn » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:53 pm

try Breitling
pjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:59 pm

I inherited a Patek from my Dad who in turn inherited it from my Lolo. I've never bought a Rolex likewise mana rin. Curiously, I'm partial to Tag Heuer. I bought the first Kirium Mechanical Chrono and it is what I wear 90% of the time. For semi-formal occassions a Heuer Monaco. Only at super formal Pina Barong or Black Tie do I bust out The patek.

If I were to buy one now the watchmaker that never fails to get my attention is IWC. Understated and Classy na Macho. This is actually in the Rolex price category with the PPs being substantially more expensive.
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)