** Watch Watching **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

Re: ** Watch Watching **

Postby magnus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:00 pm

@arnold - your method of using your bezel for your citizen is a different approach but arrives at the same goal which is to have a second time reference. Other watches would have sophisticated complications like am/pm indicators, day/night indicator, bezels with city names on it, etc.

In this day and age, it seems that analog, mechanical watches are not that attractive to the young ones. My 18 yr nephew told me that he doesn't see the point wearing a watch since his apple phone has that feature (and much more). And I guess as has been in the world of audio where those of us who were young end up going back to using the audio gear technology of our parents/grandparents when we got older, perhaps it will be the same for watches.
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 pm

@magnus, I understand where you're coming from. I saw a feature in BBC a few years back that sales of watches are doing down dramatically because of other gadgets that tell time. They even have "ask people from the street" segment where they ask people who does not have a watch, why is it so and get answers like "my cellphone tells time", "i don't need a watch to know the time, look around you, time is everywhere", "my iPod has clock function", etc.

I'm a techie guy and when I've outgrown "designer" watches such as Guess, I wanted to buy technology, thus 15 years ago in Singapore, I bought a Citizen Eco-drive that does not fail in ticking up to now. I ventured briefly into Oris and owned the TT3 day/date and Skeleton, but they became novelty for me and my Citizen beats them up in keeping time. Not to mention that its clasp is still botched free compared to the Oris.

Recently, I've been burning bandwidth and sort of understood where some watch collectors are coming from - History and Complication. I had to research a certain movement and learned a lot about it in the process. It is an expensive conversation piece, but being "part of history" means something, or having 249 parts that make up the movement can be debated for hours.

Right now, my watch bucket list are-

1. Citizen Eco-drive Caliber 2100
2. Citizen Nighthawk
3. my dream watch, the IWC GST 3707 003

I wouldn't mind an Omega too :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Gino » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 pm

My friend accidentally welded his IWC with an rc charger. A bare wire and charger case touched the watch case and sparks flew. Well he just lived with it.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby troporobo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 pm

magnus wrote:Sharing a pic of my 1949 Omega Cosmic Moonphase with 300B tubes in background

OMG, that is a gorgeous watch!!! :envy:

As a confirmed Omegamaniac, please contact me first if you ever decide to part with it! :devil:

arnoldc wrote:
Right now, my watch bucket list are-

3. my dream watch, the IWC GST 3707 003

Hey Arnold, An IWC is on my bucket list too, and that one is beauty. It actually reminds me a lot of a Speedie, which (in the cal 321 pre-moon version) is my grail watch. Knowing your obsession with automotive technology and racing, you might also be interested in the new one from those crafty Germans. Anyway, I hope you get your grail!

troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby magnus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:55 pm

troporobo wrote:
magnus wrote:Sharing a pic of my 1949 Omega Cosmic Moonphase with 300B tubes in background

As a confirmed Omegamaniac, please contact me first if you ever decide to part with it! :devil:

Nice to know there are Omega enthusiasts in this forum. Took me three years to hunt for this piece so I don't think I'll be letting go of this one :) . My collection is focused mainly on vintage Omegas (pre-1980s). I hang out at the Omega section of the Phil Watch club forum so I do hope you guys could go over and visit.
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 pm

@magnus, thank you for showing me the watch, it's a looker but may be beyond my capability, just like the car. :)

ps.

Ikaw ba yun madaming Omega sa kabila? :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby arnoldc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:35 pm

BTW, I want to have a new bezel and glass for my workhorse Citizen Eco-drive 7878, kaso wala sina Mang Loy at Andoy... :( I called Timeline, ala pa din balita... any suggestions (wag naman sana tapon na yung watch, ha ha ha)

arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby hein » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:38 pm

zetroce wrote:It's quite cheap, only Php 4,560.00 after discount. :)

P*%$%, Php 4,560.00 is a single bracelet link ng Rolex. Watta BARGAIN!!!
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jamants » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 pm

want to share with you guys my new seiko, thanks for showing me the light zetroce :rock:
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby magnus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 am

@arnold - maliit lang yung aking collection as my acquisition ability is a function of my surplus disposable income and subject to the approval of the "commander in chief and chief financial officer" of my home :D I haven't been able to add to my collection since I've discovered this audio thing courtesy of my Dad :) Regarding your citizen, punta ka sa kabila and send a pm to rccajayon (jun). Ok yun and he's one of the resident experts on Japanese watches. You could also get the help of ninja01 - he's the guru on seikos but would most likely have contacts who might be able to help you.

Here's an interesting piece that I got which was designed to be worn under the wrist. The idea was that the car driver didn't have to take his hand off the wheel of the car to look at the time. It's a 1969 Omega under the wrist Chronostop Driver

Here's a pic from a magazine ad on the watch:

magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:20 am

@magnus, ang ganda naman nyan. Parang rotated bullhead... may sungay 8)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby onedown » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:16 am

nice omega, magnus. certainly a conversation piece.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby zetroce » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:32 pm

jamants wrote:
want to share with you guys my new seiko, thanks for showing me the light zetroce :rock:

Glad to be of help Jay! Enjoy your SPORK! 8)

That is one great looking Chronostop magnus. First time i've seen one. :o

BTW, i've changed the strap of my Orient GMT. This is how it looks now.

zetroce
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:31 pm

nice, dong. like the combo of the stitching, bezel, and third hand.

nice acquisition, jay.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby august » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Very nice watch Zet! Sana makadali din ako nyan! :) :) :)
august
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zetroce » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:50 pm

onedown wrote:nice, dong. like the combo of the stitching, bezel, and third hand.

nice acquisition, jay.

Thanks Jon! :) May kasunod pang istorya yang GMT na yan... Saka ko na lang i-divulge. Secret pa rin kasi, hehehe. :devil:
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:27 pm

will wait for the story, dong. looks like the story is worth waiting for.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby zenaudio » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 pm

troporobo wrote:

Next in line! :devil:
I've told myself (and the CFO) that I won't be buying another watch, specially another Omega, but I think I can make a case for this one. :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zetroce » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 pm

My new Hamilton Jazzmaster Traveler GMT. Still under quarantine. ;)

zetroce
Master
Master

Postby narayan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Neighbor, hataw sa watch collecting ah. Ganda yan hamilton ;)
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)