** Watch Watching **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

** Watch Watching **

Postby rossifumi46 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:38 pm

everything about watches here :D
Last edited by rossifumi46 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby efm2 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:45 pm

I'm confused :?
If you're in the market for a Rolex, why don't you want to buy one :?
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Skabyol » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 pm

Is this a trick question?

You can get a Tudor.

Or a Rolek, looks like a rolex but has seiko mechanism :D Costs much less than an original seiko too. :lol:
Skabyol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:39 pm

tagalogin natin...

- ano ang bibilhin mo kung ikaw ay ayaw nang rolex pero naghahanap ka rin?

- ikaw ay naghahanap nang rolex na ayaw mo na man talaga. o ano ngayon ang bibilhin mo?

- ako ayaw rolex. ako hanap rolex. ano bili ko?

- ako hilo. ikaw hilo. ano hilo?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pjohn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:44 pm

Kindly clarify the question pls po. Medyo magulo yung tanung eh.
pjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Skabyol » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:58 pm

vintage_dog wrote:tagalogin natin...

- ikaw ay naghahanap nang rolex na ayaw mo na man talaga. o ano ngayon ang bibilhin mo?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Skabyol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rossifumi46 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:48 pm

pjohn wrote:Kindly clarify the question pls po. Medyo magulo yung tanung eh.

mejo magulo nga!:) o ito, if you're looking for a luxury watch but you dont want a rolex because its too common, what woud you buy?
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:59 pm

ahhh....

patek p
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:04 pm

rossifumi46 wrote:"...if you're looking for a luxury watch but you dont want a rolex because its too common, what would you buy?"

now, translating that in audio: "...if you're looking for a hi-end amp but you don't want ML, Krell, CJ, AR because they are too common, what would you buy?"

:-D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rossifumi46 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
rossifumi46 wrote:"...if you're looking for a luxury watch but you dont want a rolex because its too common, what would you buy?"

now, translating that in audio: "...if you're looking for a hi-end amp but you don't want ML, Krell, CJ, AR because they are too common, what would you buy?"

:-D

siret! :) hehehe

but that's a nice way of putting it... i should've stated my question that way from the start.. hehe
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

2nd the Patek P!
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 pm

vintage_dog wrote:tagalogin natin...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby macolive » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:16 pm

How about a Hublot? extremely understated.
macolive
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rossifumi46 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:31 pm

macolive wrote:How about a Hublot? extremely understated.

the hublot big bang looks close to the AP royak oak...
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:44 pm

is a rolex really too common? :wink:
dante
cool dude

Postby Rapido » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:42 am

i'd go for a patek p, jaeger le coultre or IWC. You can also go for an Audemars Piguet.
Rapido
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bb3 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:18 am

if i had the bucks, probably a vintage chrono vacheron (no two tones please)
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:38 am

He-he, if in audio we always say "let your ears decide," in watches, it's let your wrist decide.

First, do you prefer analog (mechanical) or digital (quartz)? There are luxury models of both types. Tag and Omega make new, $$$ quartz models; some vintage quartz watches fetch good $$$ too as collectors items.

Mechanical ones can get beyond luxury. Cost no object, my money (if I ever amass enough) goes to this:

Image though I much prefer it in white gold or platinum. I'm actually a stainless steel / titanium kinda guy but this particular "manufacture" only encases their movements in precious metals. This one's German, BTW, not Swiss.

There are in-betweens called mecha-quartz like the Citizen Eco-drive. Though in this category, I like the now discontinued Jaeger Le Coultre Mecha-Quartz chronograph (the "scientific" name of a tomepiece with a stopwatch function).

Among the quartz ones, I like those from Polar, Suunto, and Timex as I have fantasies of being a triathlete.

Second, what'll you use the luxury watch for? There are dress watches

Dive watches (The Omega Seamaster, popularized by James Bond being a quintessential piece, IMHO. Actually, James Bond also wore a Rolex but I don't really fancy that house...more later)

Sailing watches, watches originally designed for playing polo (the art deco) JLC Reverso series, etc.

While many golfers and tennis players endorse luxury watches, I can't think of any practical, i.e., non-image reason why you'd use a luxury watch while playing those sports. :D

Third, what complications (features) do you want on the watch?

There are simple second hands, date, day, month, year, etc. Mechanical perpetual calendars are fascinating since they know leap years, which month have 30 days vs. 31 days, etc. without using any bit of silicon.

There are the chronographs, my favorite being Zenith, the first mechanical watch that meaures up to the 10th of a second. The popular (especially among the Japanese) Rolex Daytona once sported a Zenith movement which Rolex "downgraded" to their own specs--they didn't want the ability to measure up to the 10th of a second.

My personal favorite complication (though I don't own one) is the reserve de marche or RDM if you don't want to bother with the French pronounciation. It gives a guage how many more hours you still have left in the spring winding of your watch.

There are also moonphases...probably useful if you fish. :D

I travel a bit for work so I very much like worldtimers. Vintage Dog likes Patek Philippe, I particularly like the Twenty-Four.

Third, there is the price consideration. Oris makes fine pieces at the US$600 mark. I have their Worldtimer.

IMHO, the next significant price range is the US$2k mark where you get Omega. US$3-4k takes you to the Jaeger le Coultre range. US$10k takes you to the top tier of Pateks, Audemars Piguet (Governor Schwarzenegger's choice), A Lange & Sohne, Vacheron Constantin, etc.

Fourth, the Swiss ain't the only ones with watch making expertise. The Americans have Hamilton, Russians have Poljot, Germans have A Lange & Sohne, Italians have Panerai. The Chinese and the Indians have their own brands too.
Last edited by rtsyrtsy on Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
rtsyrtsy

Postby delfinsantos » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:59 am

i agree rolex is very very common. I like watches and i prefer Cartier, Bulgari and Baume and Mercier . Always buy the automatic movement types NOT the quartz. Reselling it is a lot easier and depreciation is lesser. For Cartier , check out the Santos two tone. Very very difficult to fake and the fakes in Greenhills are very obvious from the real ones. Avoid the Bulgari Bulgari (talagang dalawang Bulgari yan. That is the model name) . The fakes are really really difficult to tell from the real ones. And buy second hand watches. You can get it at one half to one third of the brand new prices. Go to the Manila Watch Exchange at the Hyatt Hotel ground floor. You can get the very very good second hand luxury watches at good prices. Enjoy.
delfinsantos

Postby jonas » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:55 am

i read somewhere that in switzerland, only the tourists and those who sell rolex wear a rolex. and that if you want to impress your friends, you wear a rolex, if you want to impress a watch enthusiast you wear an omega.
cartier and bulgari i think are more jewelry rather than timepieces hence their popularity among women. i dont think they make their own movements.
if you're after resaleability after a few years of use, you cant go wrong with a rolex. a lot of people like it and so it is easier to sell with a higher resale value. its like a benz, overpriced but since a lot of people identify it with success, a lot of people want it so its easier to sell than other luxury brands.
a good thing about not buying a rolex is that people will not be constantly asking you "is that real?"
my experience in the US, only the immigrant doctors (pinoys included) loved rolex. the american doctors were happy wearing a black band casio digital to work.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)