** GOLF **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

Re: any golfers in the forum? (VM reigning WS golf champ!)

Postby plasticman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:53 am

Jon Agner wrote:Doc Tristan,

Yup, Midlands muna, at least malawak fairway, unlike Highlands. Yup, I'll be using the golf balls that you guys have been loosing when playing :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah, kung ganun, marami-rami na pala akong na-contribute sa golf game mo! :D
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 am

plasticman wrote:

Yup, Midlands muna, at least malawak fairway, unlike Highlands. Yup, I'll be using the golf balls that you guys have been loosing when playing :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc,

Your Loss is my Gain :D :D :D :D Mawawala nga lang ulit yung mga golf balls na yun ;( ;( ;( ;(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 am

I'm a weekend golfer. Not serious. I don't even play a good game.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
plasticman wrote:

Doc,

Your Loss is my Gain :D :D :D :D Mawawala nga lang ulit yung mga golf balls na yun ;( ;( ;( ;(

Yes, we never really buy golf balls, we just rent them. :D
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby onedown » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:10 am

jon,

saw a streamer announcing that there's a sale at pro gear makati cinema square. store is above pizza hut pala, and not chow king.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby zenaudio » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 pm

A US Open to Remember

It was a week -- and more. The weather made sure the final round would spill over to a Monday.

It is a US Open to remember because one might forget it otherwise. One might remember the greens being flooded and swept. Or that the rounds spilled over into each other.

There was the Mickelson factor, riding on a wave of emotion due to his wife's approaching battle with cancer. And there was Tiger Woods who was almost a non-factor. Neither was able to conjure enough magic to transform this Open into another chapter in their legends in the making. One may remember Ricky Barnes and how he disintegrated in the last round. Put all of this together and this could still be one of the most forgettable US Opens.

But that would be unfair to Lucas Glover, the first man since 2005 to win the Open after not making the cut in previous tries. His story may not be as dramatic, but he did write a story that is heartwarming as it is personal. It is the story of someone who was seen to be full of promise when he turned pro but never got to show it. Someone who had so much frustration with himself and his game that he finally decided to take a total break from golf towards the end of 2008 to do some soul-searching. This is the part that almost any golfer can relate to.

According to Lucas himself, it was his change of attitude that allowed him to keep hanging in there, that made him keep his cool as he putted for birdie on the 16th and par on the 17th that practically sealed the tournament for him. When he used a 6 iron to tee off on the 18th that was a real show of wise restraint that many golfers can learn from. In the end, it was being kinder to himself -- and believing in his late coach's words that he is good enough -- that made him overcome.

It is a US Open that is worth remembering if only for the story, simple it may be, of Lucas Glover, that could also be our own.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Thank You, Tom Watson

I feel sad that Tom Watson lost in The Open. He embodied the hope of eternal youth. That age didn't matter, that one can win golf majors at 59. His win would have given us all a belief in our unfading powers.

It almost happened, and for more than one moment it was in the realm of the probable. And for that I thank Tom Watson. Because he dared to prove what we all want to believe in.

One day someone will do it. Because Tom Watson showed that it could be done.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stereophile » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:10 am

Nes- I stayed up till the wee hours of the morning watching what could have been the greatest sports story ever told. When Watson missed the par put to win The Open, I knew it was over. You are right. For those 4 days, he gave us hope. I bow my head for his efforts.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby randybarba » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:29 am

Doc Lito, myself and Shuddles88 (Jun Vivar) will have a round of golf this Wed. (Aug. 19) at Villamor. It will be sort of a despedida round for Jun who will be migrating to Canada at the end of the month. Tee off is at 6:30 am. Elmo has expressed his desire to join. Other golfers might also want to play. Its been a while since we had a wiredstate golf get-together. The more the merrier. :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:22 pm

I haven't played golf since 2006. I am scheduled to play two rounds in the coming week, both are too good to miss. The first one is at Northern Bear courtesy of a supplier, syempre diretso na ito sa steak dinner :devil: I played this course on it's sophomore season, one of the most beautiful course I'd been to.

the second one is a fundraising tournament by a Filipino club, I am looking forward to joining my golf buddies again :* at Millwods Golf Course, our former home course for three years

no pressure on me this time, may alibi na 'pag nagkalat. basta maka break lang ng 100 ng walang mulligan,footwedge & gimme ayus na 8)
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby shuddles88 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks for organizing Doc Randy!

I'm sure we will have a great time despite whatever our actual golf scores may in the end suggest....!

Other WS golfers(Gaucho, MartyE ,Conspicuous, Zenaudio, etc) , hope you can find the time to play and join the fun.

jun vivar
shuddles88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:25 am

taken last Thursday. too bad this course only got 1" of rain this year and the county officials won't let them use municipal water. The greens were in great shape but the fairways were pretty dry. Sad to see this Jack Nicklaus course in such a bad shape, definitely not worth the full fee of $ 135.00 per round. It made to Canada's top ten a few years ago.

got paired with this 72 year who outdrove me by 50 yds in one hole in the Filipino tournament :$ man, I love his tempo. Thanks God, I beat him.

glad to see old friends again. The tournament was won by one of my former playing buddies - he parred the course (again).

oopps, may uwi pa si dimfer :tmi:

hindi ako halos nakatulog sa sakit ng balakang last Thursday night, malamang ngayon ganun na naman... but heck, I had fun
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stereophile » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Ding- Congrats on winning Division C! :clap: :clap: :clap:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby randybarba » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Hey, mucho congrats Ding :) . Next time division B naman :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

shuddles88 wrote:Thanks for organizing Doc Randy!

I'm sure we will have a great time despite whatever our actual golf scores may in the end suggest....!

Other WS golfers(Gaucho, MartyE ,Conspicuous, Zenaudio, etc) , hope you can find the time to play and join the fun.

jun vivar

Sorry couldn't join this as I was in Cebu last week. :(
Hope you had a good time and maybe can post some pics.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 pm

thanks Doc Lito & Doc Randy. mahirap manalo sa "B", usually low 80's or high "70" dyan, "C" is 20 handicap and above :$ - pang "C" muna ako, tagal na hindi lumaro.

my game yesterday surprised me a bit because I played terrible last Thursday. Knowing my body was so stiff (arthritis), I decided not to attack the hole from 150 yds and up. Luckily my driver and wedge worked, I didn't lose a single ball :rock: Driver, 5 iron, pitch and putt ang strategy ko even on 385 yd par four.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:01 am

Congrats, Ding, on the trophy, new dvd player, and a good game strategy executed well! 8)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:25 am

thanks Nes. I took advantage of two things - familiarity of the course (probably played over 200 rounds here as a member for 3 seasons) and playing with somebody with similar skill level. I enjoy playing in golf tournaments once in a while kasi you have to play the game more seriously, walang mulligans or gimme's and you pretty much have to play the game like the pro's do (you fight your own demons) - a good way of assessing your real skill level. My problem with previous tournaments is - having to play with my friends who are class "A" and long hitters. Kahit pa kaibigan mo at hindi sila kalaban directly, it puts a lot of pressure in your game kung outdriven ka palagi ng 100 yds and having an extra stroke before you reach the green. Since I was late in regestering, I had to play in the last flight. Nagulat pa yung iba when I showed up at the clubhouse after the round. Then biglang tinawag as winner ng class "C" :$. I wasn't expecting anything because I only played two rounds in early 2006 and completely stayed away from the game. I was quite worried to get humiliated by being at the bottom.

Well, the trophy is nice and the dvd player is a bonus, pambawi ng entry fee.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amonv » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:30 pm

amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 pm

From the Woods Christmas Family Portrait... :D
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)