** Woodworking and Tools **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

** Woodworking and Tools **

Postby timber715 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:10 pm

hi, I'm an avid hobbyist who is very much into woodworking and a tool nut. I'm looking for friends who is also into the craft. I have collected a good amount of tools and have done several things for our households use.
the most common things are boxes. can't seem to have enough of them, they are btw a great way to practice woodworking too. here is a simple splined box I made bec I have nothing to do.
cut the pieces to size and mitered the ends.
dry fitting.
cutting kamagong for spline material.
and gluing them in place...
cleaned them with a handplane until they are flush.
a little cleaning and sanding.
adding cherry stain.
and finishing with two coats of poly.[img]
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t130 ... G_2444.jpg[/img]
I hope I can have people posting their work here as well...
Last edited by timber715 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Re: woodworking and tools section...

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:48 pm

nice very nice. please post some more of your project.

i was into woodworking 20 years ago today mostly small furnitures. will find old pics of my work. been trying to get back since late last year but it seems i can hardly catch my breath with just a few sawing strokes.

my recent purchases include a compound miter saw, table saw, router, and a dremel for easy working. some dream machines hopefully coming soon - a mini lathe and some planing and polishing power tools.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby planarribbon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:06 pm

the master, mandy m woud, i think, have a lot to share re: this topic as well as the other master craftsmen of WS...
planarribbon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mandym » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:47 pm

You are GOOD!

A mitering job to aim for. Great workmanship!
Enviable Carpenter's table, Table Router, Table saw, etc. Easy on the cigs though!

I would have no second thoughts in having you build amp faceplates, plinths, etc. I think a lot of members will benefit from your work.

I hope you can get in touch with camotecue, he is also one woodmaster.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby timber715 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:42 am

thank you po for all those nice words. I do a little of this and that, and when I get good at something I try to practice some more. like this one. Intarsia as its called. made of 5 different woods and 44 pcs. altogether.
no, its not woodcarving (haven't tried my hand at it) but very close...
as for my tools, it is a long journey in buying the good stuff. good tools require a hefty amount of loot, and I usually find myself scrimping on food and luxury just so I can get the good ones...
oh, one of my most loved project is my second workbench...
Last edited by timber715 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 am

nice works timber.. you did nice t&g, so, your skill level is probably way past mine :geek:

a friend once told me that somebody who charges money for his craft must at least do a miter on his joints :lol: .. I admire woodworking hobbyists and spent lot's of hours watching Bob Villa on my younger days. I wish to get into this hobby when I retire and have more free time.

I am more of a carpenter than a woodworker.. most of my work are the patapal-tapal type :$

some of my projects
diy stand for my 240 gallon aquarium

my most ambitious project was building an aquarium/aquarium room before we moved to our newly built home in 2007.

my wife was not convinced that I could pull it off, we agreed that I will build it first and hire somebody if the result did not meet her standard

it's been running for three years now, thanks goodness hindi pa naman ipinatatanggal.

I built a 12' x 7' mezzanine floor in our garage, and finished the rest of the garage. Original plan was to cover the shelves (oi, levelado po lahat nang shelves na yan) pero inabot ng katamaran.

me and my wife finished the bottom part of our deck last summer. We installed soffit underneath the deck and finished the posts and trims. I was mad that I cannot do a miter cut on the 2x10 trims (brown part at the top and bottom of the posts) because my cutoff saw cannot handle it. I tried cutting 45 degree angle using a circular saw but since I can't do a straight line, we just did straight 90, my wife was the wood cutter pala. The bench on the right side once served as a diy audio rack.

diy arm pod made of cocobolo wood and 2" & 1" dia. brass rod. the diy plinth for the 401 is made of 2" rubber & 3" acrylic.

bottom part of my diffuser - I was too cheap to buy another one, went the diy route

I discovered a wholesaler of exotic hardwood from all over the world here in Edmonton who literally has millions of dollars worth of hardwood in a 20,000 sq. feet warehouse. He had shown me some beautiful cuts of narras and kamagong, very very expensive. His recommendation for audio related projects - cocobolo. A bitch to work with, but has a beautiful tone.

I have most of the basic tools but one thing I would like to have in the future is a lathe.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camotecue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 am

some woodworking equipment that comes very handy

camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timber715 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:30 am

dimfer,
Is Edmonton in Canada? Your works are great, the shelves and aquarium stand came out very clean and impressive. the deck is very nice and the mezzanine looks good (can you send it over? lol) as I do lack space... having a good source is another thing that is difficult, though when available is cheaper here, but a good selection and source of wood with a higher price is way much better than a cheap price and no source. Cocobolo, I wish that is available here. unfortunately haven't seen some, kahit hard maple nga lang eh, wala pa rin. but anyway, please continue to post of your work here so we can share with others the learning process and skill that goes with the craft and the joy of fulfillment upon completion(no matter how it looks :lol: )
Last edited by timber715 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timber715 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 am

camotecue wrote:some woodworking equipment that comes very handy

of course they do, hahaha. are those green machines Grizzlies? nice heavy duty tools you got. I do have a few of my own. but they are not a industrial as your, hehehe. I live in a condo kasi and no place for fixed and heavy machines. I used to have a router table that was fixed, but made one portable and sold the other.
and that is as fixed as it should get here. is that you in the picture sir? where is your shop? ganda ang laki ng space...
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timber715 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 am

space is something that I have little, hence the tools and things I do tend to depend on them, here is an overshot of my workspace... operational lang yan pag walang labada :lol: ;( ;)
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby timber715 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 am

dimfer wrote:nice works timber.. you did nice t&g, so, your skill level is probably way past mine :geek:

were you referring to the workbench top? anyway it is a solid top glued together without T&G, just laminated together with glue and lots of clamps. lots of work getting it flat with a no.7 handplane...
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 am

absolutely top-class! welcome to WS
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby timber715 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:27 am

vintage_dog wrote:absolutely top-class! welcome to WS

thank you sir... I try my best... :emo:
timber715
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Killer Mike » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am

Very impressive work. Only a few are gifted with such art :rock: :rock: :rock:
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby alexg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:33 am

timber715 wrote:thank you po for all those nice words. I do a little of this and that, and when I get good at something I try to practice some more. like this one. Intarsia as its called. made of 5 different woods and 44 pcs. altogether.
no, its not woodcarving (haven't tried my hand at it) but very close...
as for my tools, it is a long journey in buying the good stuff. good tools require a hefty amount of loot, and I usually find myself scrimping on food and luxury just so I can get the good ones...
oh, one of my most loved project is my second workbench...

Nice miter saw, I have the same model.
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alexg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am

timber715 wrote:hi, I'm an avid hobbyist who is very much into woodworking and a tool nut. I'm looking for friends who is also into the craft. I have collected a good amount of tools and have done several things for our households use.
the most common things are boxes. can't seem to have enough of them, they are btw a great way to practice woodworking too. here is a simple splined box I made bec I have nothing to do.
and gluing them in place...
cleaned them with a handplane until they are flush.

I hope I can have people posting their work here as well...

How did you cut the slots for the spline?
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby redline_xp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:51 am

Welcome to WS Timber. Nice wood works :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ding,
Ganda talaga ng fish tank mo :D
redline_xp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:53 am

Hi!

What wood is your workbench made of?? Excellent craftsmanship! That workbench can be a turntable rack! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby dimfer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 pm

timber715 wrote:dimfer,
Is Edmonton in Canada? Your works are great, the shelves and aquarium stand came out very clean and impressive. the deck is very nice and the mezzanine looks good (can you send it over? lol) as I do lack space... having a good source is another thing that is difficult, though when available is cheaper here, but a good selection and source of wood with a higher price is way much better than a cheap price and no source. Cocobolo, I wish that is available here. unfortunately haven't seen some, kahit hard maple nga lang eh, wala pa rin. but anyway, please continue to post of your work here so we can share with others the learning process and skill that goes with the craft and the joy of fulfillment upon completion(no matter how it looks :lol: )

yes, Edmonton is in Western Canada. good you did not mention my garage wall in the things you described as clean and impressive because mudding was not as simple as I thought :(

I was lucky to walk into the hardwood warehouse during a quiet time of the day, I was able to chat with the owner quite a bit. He boasted having the biggest selection of hardwood on this side of the planet and I believe him. Having said that, the guy said he is very careful in buying hardwood from Asia and he doesn't buy any wood from China at all because he believes in the ethical practice of wood harvesting. Napalunok ako nang malaki when he billed me $50 for a 1"x4"x36" piece of cocobolo. The guy showed me how to listen for a good tone on a piece of wood and he said cocobolo is one of the best sounding wood for turntable plinth and musical instrument, kaya pala favorite ito ng Teres. The guy also encouraged me to educate myself on the hazards of woodworking because the dust of some wood can be toxic, inhilation and exposure may not kill you now but will surely cause problems after a while (cancer, etc)... dust musk I guess is an indespensible tool for a responsible woodworker.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

redline_xp wrote:Ding,
Ganda talaga ng fish tank mo :D

halata kang mag-iisda rin, nakaka-appreciate ng aquarium eh :D musta na ang aro mo, malaki na ba?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)