** WINES **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

Re: WINES - enjoying them or investing in them

Postby denlopez » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am

hoi polloi wrote:
zenaudio wrote:Conspicuous would be the expert. ;)
Is this, from a chemistry perspective, simply due to the fact that some of the alcohol has evaporated? ;)

Anyway, I'm more of a white wine than a red wine guy. The best wines I've tasted are fresh wines off a vineyard in Austria and one served over lunch in a restaurant in Italy. No brands, just made by the house.

i don't think alcohol evaporation occurs at all even after long periods, not even after a whole night of dinking, but i'm not really sure :^) .

i've read that wine's improvement through 'breathing' is because the introduction of oxygen loosens up or softens the tannins, especially in older wines. which is why to further aid the wine in breathing, we swirl our wine glasses. i've even been advised to sip in such a way that you also suck in a stream of tiny air bubbles (more oxygen :) ) along with the wine. :o ...which i do :o :o :o

Young tannic (closed) wines would also benefit from some decanting time. You're right in allowing some air interaction with the wine. You might want to try decanting an Old World wine (say French, Spanish or Italian) and drink over a period of several hours (good practice for self-control), and just see how it evolves. Allowing some air in your mouth as you sip and "swirl" the wine would also release some of its characteristics.
denlopez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby denlopez » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:12 am

zenaudio wrote:
hoi polloi wrote:
i think the term is 'aerate'. but halls is right, there's a specific timeframe to air the wines depending on age, region, blend, and other factors i don't really understand :P . but if you overdo it, you sort of oxidize your wine, then it's gonna be one 'aeretated' wine. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i used to think this was typical winespeak that didn't apply to hoi polloi tastebuds. but then i had 2 glasses of the same wine poured at the same time but drank 1 after the other (of course :geek: ), about 20 minutes apart. i found the 2nd glass more... agreeable. the difference was striking, as if they were 2 different wines. i didn't realize it could be that important.

Conspicuous would be the expert. ;)
Is this, from a chemistry perspective, simply due to the fact that some of the alcohol has evaporated? ;)

Anyway, I'm more of a white wine than a red wine guy. The best wines I've tasted are fresh wines off a vineyard in Austria and one served over lunch in a restaurant in Italy. No brands, just made by the house.

Wines coming from the "garagiste" or "garage wine makers" can be quite interesting, if not outright good! I personally like Italian Pinot Grigio's especially during summertime. It's light and refreshing. And it goes very well with seafood and salads.
denlopez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby krisces » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:55 am

Guys,

As a fellow audiophile I am inviting everyone to our newly opened wine-bar-resto...DECANTER!

Below is a teaser of the place and a link to our multiply site for more info.

The newest wine*bar*resto in Quezon City

DECANTER
wine*bar*resto

A cozy place for relaxation, wine drinking and dining.
Perfect for a seasoned connoisseur, a weekend warrior, a neophyte oenophile
or anyone else who would want an intimate moment
with a glass of wine that's easy on the pocket!

15 wine bottles priced below 500 pesos!
Wine bottles as low as 355 pesos!
Over 150 wine varieties
Free outdoor and basement parking
Available for private parties, with a 70 seater seating capacity

10% discount TO ALL WIREDSTATE MEMBERS on all food and wine this month of July '09 and other freebies! (Just inform the Decanter Staff)

DRINK ALL-YOU-CAN-DRINK Wine or Beer for only P395, Mondays thru Thursdays, 6pm to 9pm this month of July '09!

Hope to see you all there!

Visit our site for more details, maps and pictures! http://www.decanter.multiply.com

Store hours: Daily 5pm to 12mn

Address: G/F Creekside Square Bldg., #74 Tomas Morato QC

For Reservations please call: 02-726-9166/ Cel # 0922-499-1333
krisces

Postby dante » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:03 am

Congrats Krisces! Looks like you have a nice place there! Could you post a menu and wine list for our reference? ;)
dante
cool dude

Postby krisces » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:33 pm

dante wrote:Congrats Krisces! Looks like you have a nice place there! Could you post a menu and wine list for our reference? ;)

Thanks dante for the encouraging comment. I will just post a link for the menu and wine list since it might eat a lot of space here if i will post it in this thread.

You will surely enjoy the ambiance there as jane monheit, salena jones, diana krall, etc. serenades you while you and your special someone or friends wine and dine there.

Also am planning to bring in the near future my TT there so that customers can bring their lp's and listen to it while sipping a glass of wine.

Hope to see all of you.... :D
krisces

Postby denlopez » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:20 pm

krisces wrote:Guys,

As a fellow audiophile I am inviting everyone to our newly opened wine-bar-resto...DECANTER!

Below is a teaser of the place and a link to our multiply site for more info.

The newest wine*bar*resto in Quezon City

DECANTER
wine*bar*resto

A cozy place for relaxation, wine drinking and dining.
Perfect for a seasoned connoisseur, a weekend warrior, a neophyte oenophile
or anyone else who would want an intimate moment
with a glass of wine that's easy on the pocket!

15 wine bottles priced below 500 pesos!
Wine bottles as low as 355 pesos!
Over 150 wine varieties
Free outdoor and basement parking
Available for private parties, with a 70 seater seating capacity

10% discount TO ALL WIREDSTATE MEMBERS on all food and wine this month of July '09 and other freebies! (Just inform the Decanter Staff)

DRINK ALL-YOU-CAN-DRINK Wine or Beer for only P395, Mondays thru Thursdays, 6pm to 9pm this month of July '09!

Hope to see you all there!

Visit our site for more details, maps and pictures! http://www.decanter.multiply.com

Congratulations on your new business venture. Looking at the photos, the wine list should very interesting. Looking forward to your posting of the complete wine list and menu. There's really nothing better than good wine with good music (with good company of course)!

Store hours: Daily 5pm to 12mn

Address: G/F Creekside Square Bldg., #74 Tomas Morato QC

For Reservations please call: 02-726-9166/ Cel # 0922-499-1333
denlopez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby krisces » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Guys,

Just sharing an article about decanter wine bar......

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?pag ... uly14_2009
krisces

Postby nbc » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Any recommendations on good and reasonably priced Pinot Noirs and Pinot Gris'?

thanks!!!

nbc
nbc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:30 pm

nbc wrote:Any recommendations on good and reasonably priced Pinot Noirs and Pinot Gris'?

thanks!!!

nbc

Try Yellow Tail Pinot Noir. Very good value Australian wine carried by S&R and Rustan's. Less than P500 per bottle, if I remember correctly.
dante
cool dude

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:34 pm

dante wrote:
nbc wrote:Any recommendations on good and reasonably priced Pinot Noirs and Pinot Gris'?

thanks!!!

nbc

Try Yellow Tail Pinot Noir. Very good value Australian wine carried by S&R and Rustan's. Less than P500 per bottle, if I remember correctly.

PhP 425 to be exact :) I always keep a few bottles of Yellow tail at home :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby hoi polloi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:41 pm

thanks!!!

nbc

on the pinot gris, you'd probably have more success finding a pinot grigio. yes they're one and the same. italian pinot grigio is easily the most popular and best selling of the pinot gris variety. some are also available in s&r. ;)
hoi polloi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 pm

in my opinion the best way to enjoy yamazaki 12 year old single malt
1. pour a shot in a scotch glass
2. drop 1-ice cube and swirl around for 5 to 10 seconds then remove immediatly after
3. sip and enjoy the view :rock:
detubo
Master
Master

Postby nbc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks, Gents. Will give the Yellowtail Pinots a try. Although I remember I wasnt too happy with the Yellowtail Shiraz before. Maybe the Pinots will be more to my liking. :)
nbc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby denlopez » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:21 am

thanks!!!

nbc

Good Pinot Noirs are usually a little more difficult to find in the below 1K range. You might want to explore the Selaks Pinot Noir in Terry Selection. I tried some years ago and they were okay to drink. This comes from New Zealand which is famous for some excellent Pinot Noirs.I'm not sure though if the price is still below 1K.

I also tried an Pinot Gris from Alsace that was brought by a friend from Santi's. It was pretty good, and went very well with food. I believe this is in the 800 pesos range.
denlopez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby nbc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks... will try Santis. :)

Where is Terry Selection located? (I assume thats the name of the place.)
nbc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:20 am

Terry's is at the basement of the Podium. Or if you are Makati based, then at Kerrivin Plaza near BMW at Pasong Tamo Extension. Very near Kerrivin is Le Sommelier - they carry excellent French wines and I've bought some pinots from them that were excellent. A bit pricey but well worth it. Look for Jerome Phillipon (not sure of the spelling). He owns the place and will allow wine tasting before you buy.
dante
cool dude

Postby denlopez » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:36 am

You might also be interested in trying some French Rhone wines that I tried recently. These are the Gabriel Meffre "Les Pierres Brissees" 2007 Cotes du Rhone at Php 465.00; Gabriel Meffre "Laurus" Viognier 2007 VdP D'Oc at Php 575.00(white);and the "Los 3 Bandidos" Grenache VdP D'Oc 2006 at Php 435.00. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wines relative to the price. Rhone wines are usually a blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault grapes. I know the distributor (He also distributes the Corte Riva wines from Napa, and some South African wines that are very good too!) He doesn't have a retail outlet (wine shop), but I can give you a contact number if you're interested.
denlopez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby nbc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 am

dante wrote:Terry's is at the basement of the Podium. Or if you are Makati based, then at Kerrivin Plaza near BMW at Pasong Tamo Extension. Very near Kerrivin is Le Sommelier - they carry excellent French wines and I've bought some pinots from them that were excellent. A bit pricey but well worth it. Look for Jerome Phillipon (not sure of the spelling). He owns the place and will allow wine tasting before you buy.

Thanks. I live very near Podium, so, will check them out. However, will also visit Le Sommelier... dont mind driving to Makati. Am here for two weeks, so, its kinda nice to go around. :)
nbc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby nbc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:47 am

denlopez wrote:You might also be interested in trying some French Rhone wines that I tried recently. These are the Gabriel Meffre "Les Pierres Brissees" 2007 Cotes du Rhone at Php 465.00; Gabriel Meffre "Laurus" Viognier 2007 VdP D'Oc at Php 575.00(white);and the "Los 3 Bandidos" Grenache VdP D'Oc 2006 at Php 435.00. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wines relative to the price. Rhone wines are usually a blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault grapes. I know the distributor (He also distributes the Corte Riva wines from Napa, and some South African wines that are very good too!) He doesn't have a retail outlet (wine shop), but I can give you a contact number if you're interested.

Bro,

Yes, very interested. :)

thanks,

nbc
nbc
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 am

nbc wrote:
denlopez wrote:You might also be interested in trying some French Rhone wines that I tried recently. These are the Gabriel Meffre "Les Pierres Brissees" 2007 Cotes du Rhone at Php 465.00; Gabriel Meffre "Laurus" Viognier 2007 VdP D'Oc at Php 575.00(white);and the "Los 3 Bandidos" Grenache VdP D'Oc 2006 at Php 435.00. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wines relative to the price. Rhone wines are usually a blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault grapes. I know the distributor (He also distributes the Corte Riva wines from Napa, and some South African wines that are very good too!) He doesn't have a retail outlet (wine shop), but I can give you a contact number if you're interested.

Bro,

Yes, very interested. :)

thanks,

nbc

Me too. Please PM me contact details also. I'm not too familiar with French Rhone wines but of course very much willing to try well recommended ones.
dante
cool dude

PreviousNext

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)