** WINES **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

** WINES **

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 am

am opening this thread for our resident wine connoisseurs - jovy, mickey, erik, tonyboy, joey, joel, and all others to share tips and tricks on how to invest and enjoy wines...

perhaps, you guys can share what wines you have acquired lately and which ones you enjoy the most...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oldfogey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:15 am

Just my two centavos worth. Investing in collectible wines is fraught with risk, as they can spoil if not properly stored. Best, IMO, to buy what you can drink in a reasonable amount of time unless you have a wine fridge, or even better, a temperature/humidity controlled cellar.

I've found many reasonably priced wines at the various branches of Santi's Deli, Terry's, Wine Depot. Bacchus has nice, if more upscale, wines.

As far as favorites go, I'll leave that to Mickey, Tonyboy, Joel, and Eric, the hardcore oenophiles! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Oldfogey

Postby detubo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:57 am

i recently tried a bottle of cocodrilio from premier wine. its a cabernet sauvingon from argentina. what got me curious was that its distributed by paul hobbs (very expensive US wine maker). price is quite good at about P1k a bottle for a wine of this quality. my present favorite ( i have other favorites but i also can't afford them). bold like a rich bordeaux (the real winos will crucify me for this comment). alcohol a bit high. strong presence of dried plum. delicious!
detubo
Master
Master

Postby mickey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:16 pm

Buying wines for investment can be interesting. The price of good vintages can go up by 20% a year maybe more.

But I am a follower of the guy who wrote this:

1. Create a cellar, suitable for storing wine with a critical mass of wine.
2. Treat your wines well, keeping them cool and quiet.
3. Open your wines at their optimum or before.
4. Make sure you have enough wines of adequate variations.
5. Stick to opening wines at their prime. (very difficult!!!)
6. Maintain records of the wines you have and those you have opened.
7. Share your treasures with others.
8. Die with an empty cellar!
mickey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:24 pm

detubo wrote:i recently tried a bottle of cocodrilio from premier wine. its a cabernet sauvingon from argentina. what got me curious was that its distributed by paul hobbs (very expensive US wine maker). price is quite good at about P1k a bottle for a wine of this quality. my present favorite ( i have other favorites but i also can't afford them). bold like a rich bordeaux (the real winos will crucify me for this comment). alcohol a bit high. strong presence of dried plum. delicious!

Yes, indeed. Argentinean wines are a revelation. I bought several boxes of Lagarde's cabarnet and merlot during my 2003 trip to Agrentina. It was love at first sip. I think Ralph is selling it here locally.
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby kabubi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm

not exctly a wine connoisseur but i really enjoyed the Wolftrap that Lester Harvey brought during that last party at Hyper's. that was a great wine for it's price.

Lester, a Kiwi, is an analog enthusiast who has been conducting business in the Philippines for the last 30 years. he has a vinly library of 5,000 something records that is to die for, and which Master Rene can attest to.

he also deals in wines and has a great range of selections from the Australia-New Zealand-S. Africa vineyards. who knows, he may give great discounts to analog enthusiasts :D

Lester Harvey is Managing Director of Zen Asia and aside from wine, deals in wood as well. Tel 816-0317/0318; 813-7877; 759-6351.

cheers!
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Re: WINES - enjoying them or investing in them

Postby Wye-FI » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:21 pm

vintage_dog wrote:am opening this thread for our resident wine connoisseurs - jovy, mickey, erik, tonyboy, joey, joel, and all others to share tips and tricks on how to invest and enjoy wines...

perhaps, you guys can share what wines you have acquired lately and which ones you enjoy the most...

DCO.... this thread is for you, ilabas mo na yung mga tinatago mong Wine Tricks.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Wye-FI on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wye-FI
Citizen
Citizen

Postby DCO » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:25 pm

DCO.... this thread is for you, ilabas mo na yung mga tinatago mong Wine Tricks.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Here in BAguio people will just ask if you have red wine then after is the price! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats it!
:(
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 pm

DCO wrote:
DCO.... this thread is for you, ilabas mo na yung mga tinatago mong Wine Tricks.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Here in BAguio people will just ask if you have red wine then after is the price! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats it!
:(

DCO, walandyo nakabili na ako ng sparkling wine ah sa CJH Comm :(
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby manilaman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:04 pm

You drink'em, then you piss'em!!!

I love good wine, specially when I am taught which the good ones are. I normally don't get a hangover with good wine. And only find out it must have been good coz I won't afford it after seeing the price! I have been lucky to have friends who know, coz I don't!!

JackD & Keith know....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eventually, i'll learn.
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:20 pm

manilaman wrote:You drink'em, then you piss'em!!!

I love good wine, specially when I am taught which the good ones are. I normally don't get a hangover with good wine. And only find out it must have been good coz I won't afford it after seeing the price! I have been lucky to have friends who know, coz I don't!!

Eventually, i'll learn.

In the wine cellar of YATS resto in Clark near Holiday Inn they have one bottle that cost a Million Php :shock:

I am sure some other resto has wines more expensive than this :? :)

I just want to be a plain audiophile if this are the case :wink:
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby keith » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:51 pm

manilaman wrote:You drink'em, then you piss'em!!!

Eventually, i'll learn.

D, I don't claim to "know." :oops: I have tried some pricey wines and "know" they are good only after the fact.

Now our other "friend" REALLY knows. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Yes that he does! He also gives the very best descriptions of taste, color and texture. Medjo X-rated lang nga! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for me I'm more into spirits and not wines. Aside from beer I prefer 40 proof and up :twisted: Notwithstanding I have tried a few that were special unfortunately their written down in the wifey's travel journals. I guess I REALLy enjoyed 'em because there's little I remember of those evenings except my wife, the food that came with it and nothing else!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby manilaman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm

J, K,

If I brought his "stash" to Citigold, they'd give me prime rates!!! With the value of that collection, I could well afford your speakers J!!!! May sukli na, sumakay ka pa!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

D
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Tell me about it. That was the most nakakasindak wine collection I've ever seen. Kaya lang hindi taste :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's just at well, sayang lang sa primitive taste buds ko yung stash niya ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:52 pm

for the uninitiated, please recommend some great (best-buy) wines available locally...and who sells them.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby manilaman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:58 pm

vintage_dog wrote:for the uninitiated, please recommend some great (best-buy) wines available locally...and who sells them.

F,

Pang shop-wise lang ako or wine depot around the alabang area. But if you are really into good stuff, I can hook you up Alex Lichaytoo of Bahccus International. He's known to carry awesome tasting and pricey wines!! That again is NOT of experience BUT i just heard from friends. :)

D
Last edited by manilaman on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby CCC » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:00 pm

vintage_dog wrote:please recommend some great (best-buy) wines available locally...and who sells them.

I suppose there are "best-buys" across the board. Maybe categorizing them price-wise and a very short description would help. Say,

1K below
1k-3K
3-10K
10K above
CCC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:07 pm

manilaman wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:for the uninitiated, please recommend some great (best-buy) wines available locally...and who sells them.

F,

Pang shop-wise lang ako or wine depot around the alabang area. But if you are really into good stuff, I can hook you up Alex Lichaytoo of Bahccus International. He's know to carry awesome tasting and pricey wines!! That again is NOT of experience BUT i just heard from friends. :)

D

am not into wines myself mr D...i only get to taste the better ones when i hang around with friends who enjoy them with good food too (am after the food) :-) anyways, am sure folks here can share what they believe are the best-buys, ie. they taste much better than what their price would suggest...

F
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby keith » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:21 pm

manilaman wrote:J, K,

If I brought his "stash" to Citigold, they'd give me prime rates!!! With the value of that collection, I could well afford your speakers J!!!! May sukli na, sumakay ka pa!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
keith
walastick

Next

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)