Bridge over troubled system

Val Villanueva's special audio forum

Moderator: audiostar

Postby TonyC » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:34 pm

Congrats to tjadermar for being mentioned at Val's column....mabuhay mga diyers natin!!

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?ar ... goryId=449
TonyC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby radiohead » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Congrats Cal!
radiohead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Congrats Cal! I use cal's IC's and speaker cables and they are definitely bang for the buck! Bili bili na at baka magtaas ang presyo nito!;-)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Sunday Life
The Philippine Star

The missing link
AUDIOFILE By Val A. Villanueva
Sunday,October 02, 2011

One of the few pairs of XLR cables that Cal custom-built for my system

We’ve been deluged with questions from readers regarding our last column which discussed the importance of line buffers in maintaining the integrity of electronic signals in high-fidelity audio.

“What about interconnects and speaker cables?” they ask.

Some want to know: “Do we really need quality cables? Are the exorbitant prices of high-end interconnects and speaker wires justified?’”

We absolutely need high-quality cables to bridge different electronic components in the audio chain to ensure zero losses in analog signals between audio equipment, but I believe that mind boggling prices of these accessories do not guarantee to-die-for sonic. Cables between components are called interconnects, while speaker wires carry the signal between amplifiers and speakers. The tag price of these so-called ‘high-end’ cables for audiophiles can be unbelievably staggering, with some being more expensive than the total price of the stereo system itself; but I’m not in a position to say that such may be unreasonable. Manufacturers may have their own reasons for stipulating such prices – could be rocket science, extensive research, intricate construction geometries and unusual provisions such as silver and oxygen-free copper – so let’s just leave it at that.

Audio signals traverse different stages before they are reproduced as music to be audibly heard from the loudspeakers. Pre-amplifiers translate (decode and attenuate) electronic signals coming from music sources such as CD players and turntables, pass this on to the amplifiers which in turn re-translate and amplify these signals into music. Cables bridging these components should be then extremely capable of handling the loads of these signals, affirming that nothing is lost in the translation.

Cables carrying analog signals are most vulnerable to errors and, most often, bad cables become the missing link to the enjoyment of quality music. S/PDIF and HDMI cables, which use error-correction technology, are resistant to signal degradation. However, these cables carry digital signals and are not that useful for audiophiles who still embrace the analog technology.

There are three main elements that make up cables and interconnects: the signal conductors, the dielectric, and the terminations. Conductors transmit the audio signal; the dielectric is a shielding material between and around the conductors; and the terminations connects them to audio equipment. Fused together, these elements become a physical structure which is called the cable’s geometry which somehow affects the sonic character of the system to which they are connected.

Choosing cables and interconnects should be considered as the final or finishing touches to one’s stereo system. Just like building a house, it should be the last addition to perk up the house’s interiors. Ideally, they are supposed to be the last tweak which should propel your system on to the right path.

But which among the myriad of brands should one settle for? The first and most important thing to do is to try them on your system. Most dealers allow their products to be auditioned; take advantage of this. Choose the brand that most suits your music preference. Remember, it is only you who can decide which brand fits your music taste.

All my cables, except the speaker wires and power plugs, are DIYed. I have tried different branded interconnects, and finally settled on the interconnects that were custom-built for me by Cal Cano, known in the audiophile community as Tjaderman, a big fan of Jazz artist C. T’Jader.
Building audio cables is not actually his day job. It is more of a hobby and a passion which began when he started trying out different cables and realized that the sound character of his system changes with every brand. He then learned to distinguish by instinct which brand, construction and materials gave him the most satisfaction.

He then built his own and had his creation tried by audiophile friends. One by one, they started placing orders, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was one of those who tried and liked what I heard. His cables do not add coloration to the sound; they are perfectly neutral.
Cal prefers solid wires over stranded, because the former “exhibit a more linear frequency response, aside from providing faster presentation, especially in music with transient passages.”

“A single-core silver plated structure in which the straying current is not theoretically generated, allows a signal transmission extremely faithful to the original source without the incidental impurities in sound and distortion,” Cal explained.

So, never thumb your nose at local DIYers. In my experience, their creations help me find the missing link in my fully evolved sound system.

For comments or questions, please e-mail me at audioglow@yahoo.com or at vphl@hotmail.com. You can also visit http://www.wiredstate.com or you can tweet audiofiler at http://www.twitter.com for quick answers to your audio concerns.
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Re: Bridge over troubled system

Postby joseph02 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 pm

Congrats Cal! Am a satisfied user of his creations: from IC's to speaker cables and jumper wires. :D
joseph02
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Here's a sample of Cal's braided jumper cable. Marked improvement over the oem jumper. Gwapo pa! :rock:

endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tjaderman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm equally happy knowing that you are all enjoying the effects of my DIY interconnects in your system!

Thanks, Guys! CHEERS!!!
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you Val for sharing your experience on Cal's DIY cables and I would guess that Cal is proud to have his cables as part of your audio system.

And for Cal.... great job for contributing to the audio community and most importantly for allowing our fellow hobbyist to experience high quality sound thru your cables without hurting the pocket. I am sure a lot of our audio colleagues who really cannot afford imported and high priced cables are into this hobby enjoying hifi music owing to your high quality cables.

Cheers amigos.

BTW..... Val, padinig ha :clap:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tjaderman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:20 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Thank you Val for sharing your experience on Cal's DIY cables and I would guess that Cal is proud to have his cables as part of your audio system.

And for Cal.... great job for contributing to the audio community and most importantly for allowing our fellow hobbyist to experience high quality sound thru your cables without hurting the pocket. I am sure a lot of our audio colleagues who really cannot afford imported and high priced cables are into this hobby enjoying hifi music owing to your high quality cables.

Cheers amigos.

BTW..... Val, padinig ha :clap:

Your guess is very true! :D :D .... That was the main objective, to have hi-end sound for a low end cost!

Sama ako pagpunta mo kay Val!

Gracias, Amigo!
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Dodie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Congrats sir cal! ;) ganda nung jumper cable? Pwede ba request ng color? :)
Dodie
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:38 pm

Oo ba.... wait lang natin advise from Val.

O ayan Val, Cal needs to hear what his cables did to your system.

Tjaderman wrote:
Your guess is very true! :D :D .... That was the main objective, to have hi-end sound for a low end cost!

Sama ako pagpunta mo kay Val!

Gracias, Amigo!
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby yucca » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 pm

i remember that night when cal handed over that very first cable to val, " be careful with that diy cable, it's dangerous!"
congrats to both val and cal. i'm sure there are still plenty of diy gems around (laguna) just waiting to be discovered.

" There is a paradise of improvement awaiting us if we search hard enough for it. "
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Pajd » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 am

Congrats bro Cal! :rock:
Pajd
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 am

The proof is in the hearing. So let's set a date for a session soon!
audiostar

Postby northwardnimbus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

:dance: i have CAL interconnects and speaker cables too! :dance:
northwardnimbus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:03 am

Just a word of caution so as not to raise too much expectations from newbies: the whole, as they say is greater than the sum of its parts. Cal's cables are part of the the chain that make up my whole system. Each part contibutes its share as a team in making my system what it is now. Cal's cables happen to match well with the other members of the team. What Cal's cable did was smoothen the edges of my system's sonic. It's just prudent for everyone who's interested in Cal's cables to try them out first :-)
audiostar

Postby Tjaderman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 am

audiostar wrote:Just a word of caution so as not to raise too much expectations from newbies: the whole, as they say is greater than the sum of its parts. Cal's cables are part of the the chain that make up my whole system. Each part contibutes its share as a team in making my system what it is now. Cal's cables happen to match well with the other members of the team. What Cal's cable did was smoothen the edges of my system's sonic. It's just prudent for everyone who's interested in Cal's cables to try them out first :-)

+1....and also always consider your sonic preference!
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tjaderman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:35 pm

yucca wrote:i remember that night when cal handed over that very first cable to val, " be careful with that diy cable, it's dangerous!"
congrats to both val and cal. i'm sure there are still plenty of diy gems around (laguna) just waiting to be discovered.

" There is a paradise of improvement awaiting us if we search hard enough for it. "

Post it away, Ed! Show them your hotrodded MF buffer!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Actually, they are hotrodded MF DAC, MF INt amp, Denon CD Player, BBE, anit-jitter (brand?), etc. etc. etc. :devil: :clap:

Tjaderman wrote:
yucca wrote:i remember that night when cal handed over that very first cable to val, " be careful with that diy cable, it's dangerous!"

Post it away, Ed! Show them your hotrodded MF buffer!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Actually, they are hotrodded MF DAC, MF INt amp, Denon CD Player, BBE, anit-jitter (brand?), etc. etc. etc. :devil: :clap:

Tjaderman wrote:

Ano pa ini-intay mo Ed :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
audiostar

Next

Return to audiostar's corner