Silence is golden

Val Villanueva's special audio forum

Moderator: audiostar

Re: Silence is golden

Postby O.D. Yeo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:38 pm

JAA wrote:
plasticman wrote:Malas naman kasi eh. Of all the rooms in the house, the only one that had acceptable dimensions for a music room was also the only one that had suspended wooden floors!

Compromise :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another very informative and focused article, Val . . . as usual!
I would think that, other than the usual room dimensions, an attic music room must also offer some unique challenges (and maybe benefits too). Aside from the occasional bukols for the forgetful in the audience, I imagine that the behavior of reflected sound can be a challenge. And much more pag sinabayan pa ng "heavy rains and thunderstorms caused by the ITCZ".
But then the attic room seems to have worked well for Doc Lito and others.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby plasticman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:34 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:
JAA wrote:
plasticman wrote:Malas naman kasi eh. Of all the rooms in the house, the only one that had acceptable dimensions for a music room was also the only one that had suspended wooden floors!

I would think that, other than the usual room dimensions, an attic music room must also offer some unique challenges (and maybe benefits too). Aside from the occasional bukols for the forgetful in the audience, I imagine that the behavior of reflected sound can be a challenge. And much more pag sinabayan pa ng "heavy rains and thunderstorms caused by the ITCZ".

The sloping ceilings of the attic room was benificial for me, same as doc lito, in terms of minimal standing waves and reflections. The long sections in the front and the back of thr room where the ceilings slopes gradually down to almost the floor also prevents any bass boom as they somehow act as natural bass traps.

The is another good sized attic room with minimal and gentler ceiling slopes and solid/non-suspended flooring. I initially put the system there since i figured the solid flooring is a big advantage. However, the bass there was booomy and the mids was muddy. And this was when i was only using 1.25 watts/ch to drive the behomoth altecs!

When i finally measured the room i found the culprit. It was almost a perfect square!

I have no problems even if it's raining hard outside. The asphalt shingle roofing and thick insulation inside the ceiling dampens the noise. I usually only discover that it is raining when i pull up the shades and look out the window.
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Tjaderman wrote:As always, fun and very Informative article, Val! :clap: Wow! Dual Rythmiks! :rock: :rock: Same model as yours, Val? Congratz, Doc Tristan!

Yes Cal, same model :-)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby randybarba » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Nice article pareng Val. I fully agree with isolation devices having a major impact on the overall sound of your system. In my case, I tried the Voodoo Iso-pods under my amps, phonostage and pre-amp all with varying degrees of improvement, with the most significant change being the ones under the Mac amp. I noticed tighter bass, more pinpoint imaging/separation of instruments, more focused vocals and more extended highs. Galing! :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby plasticman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi doc randy!

I'm using voodoo iso-pods too under the granite slab on which the spiked TT sits. Very effective in drastically reducing the effect of footfalls from reaching the cartridge!
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:23 pm

audiostar wrote:Image

Wow! Phoenix! 8) 8)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby amonv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 pm

plasticman wrote:
audiostar wrote:JAA installing Tristan's 'other new baby": ;)

Oist! Hindi ko pa "new baby" yan!

Although it is undeniably better in my system than the previous cartridge, my head is still spinning in trying to figure out where to pull the money to pay for that!!!!

congrats doc ... on your new cart :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm just few minutes away :call: :call: :call: . Now, I have an extra listening room.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

buti na lang di pwede sa arm ko yung cart :tmi: :tmi: :tmi:
amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amonv » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:59 pm

CONGRATULATIONS VAL!!! very nice and informative article.. I have to isolate my TT too... :) :) :)
amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:54 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:
JAA wrote:

Hi Billy,

I may get into trouble with some purists here, but i do believe that having a multi-amp system partly solves room acoustic problems. This audio philosophy gives you full and total control of your system. The fun starts when you begin tweaking the sound of your system suit to your listening environment. With the help of the active crossover, you can choose the frequency cutoff, the slope and the sound pressure level of each driver until you have fully ‘tuned’ your system to conform to your room acoustic :)
audiostar

Postby audiostar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 pm

plasticman wrote:Hi doc randy!

I'm using voodoo iso-pods too under the granite slab on which the spiked TT sits. Very effective in drastically reducing the effect of footfalls from reaching the cartridge!

Pareng Randy, I'm also using voodoo isopods under my phono stage and under its separate power supply :)
audiostar

Postby audiostar » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:01 pm

amonv wrote:CONGRATULATIONS VAL!!! very nice and informative article.. I have to isolate my TT too... :) :) :)

BANAT NA :devil: :devil: :devil:
audiostar

Postby plasticman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:29 pm

narayan wrote:Congrats to val and doc tristan :clap: bullet day madidinig ko din yang enhanced set-up mo ;)

Sir Narayan,

U and the payatas boys are more than welcome to come over for a session.

Just say when!!!
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:36 am

plasticman wrote:
narayan wrote:Congrats to val and doc tristan :clap: bullet day madidinig ko din yang enhanced set-up mo ;)

Sir Narayan,

Just say when!!!

kapitbahay, sabit ako pag punta nila :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby plasticman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 am

vintage_dog wrote:
plasticman wrote:

Sir Narayan,

Just say when!!!

kapitbahay, sabit ako pag punta nila :)

Sure boss VD!

Better yet, mauna ka na!
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Chuckyboy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 am

plasticman wrote:

Although it is undeniably better in my system than the previous cartridge, my head is still spinning in trying to figure out where to pull the money to pay for that!!!!

This cart is the cherry on top - VERY Nice addition to a very nice system. Congrats Doc :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

Chuckyboy wrote:
plasticman wrote:

This cart is the cherry on top - VERY Nice addition to a very nice system. Congrats Doc :clap: :clap: :clap:

+1. This could very well be your last cart upgrade :-)
audiostar

Postby Superman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 am

Sama naman ako! How about sa long weekend??
Superman
Master Showman

Postby plasticman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Superman wrote:Sama naman ako! How about sa long weekend??

I'm sure mahahanapan natin ng oras yan sa padating na long weekend. I just have to finalize my clinic schedule which I have to prioritize para makakuha ng pambayad ng lahat ng hapgrades na 'to! :(
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Congratulations to Val and JAA for another job well done. Sayang lang guwapo na kayo, Doc Tristan can not repay you in kind using his medical expertise :D

I already loved Tristan's sound in his old place, I can't imagine what it sounds like now!

Val, I wrote something here about the value of isolation being the final frontier or something like that. A lot of people still think it is voodoo even some audiophile friends abroad who've invested mind boggling amounts of money on their systems. Well, yun nga. When a system can do really low bass this gets into every component and every component develops hash and grit when their parts get vibrating. Yet another great article from you my friend.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby AUDIO8 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Maybe it's doc tristan SECOND to the last upgrade MAY ORPHEUS pa :tmi: :tmi: :tmi: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AUDIO8
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to audiostar's corner