Silence is golden

Val Villanueva's special audio forum

Moderator: audiostar

Re: Silence is golden

Postby endrik35 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Guys, since the floor of my music room is made of wood, i fabricated an isolation platform for my sub. Since I don't have the moolah unlike my BIGTIME classmate Gilbert(PHILPATH) :envy: , I have decided that the DIY route is much cheaper instead of buying the auralex or voodoo brands. What I did was to use two granite slabs with dynamat xtreme(had success with dynamat on the inner and outer panels of my car's front doors as sound deadeners) in between. I used Macdon's black diamond racing cone clones made of compacted fiberglass underneath the 2 slabs. I replaced the rubber footings of my sub into 3 plumb bobs(60 pesos each from a chinese hardware). What I noticed is tightening of the bass, no boom with good cohesion between my BS and my sub. I'm happy with the result so I'm sharing a pic of the isolation platform I made. :)

endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiostar » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Very creative doc! Thanks for sharing :-)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Tjaderman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:26 pm

qguy wrote:Twin 15 inch , Seriously I am getting goose bumps just thinking about it !!!

Just the reading word Rythmiks , gives me goose bumps! Seriously, been to Sir Val's place and all i can say is those subs got RHYTHMik!! :rock: :rock:
Tjaderman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby philpath » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:52 pm

endrik35 wrote:Guys, since the floor of my music room is made of wood, i fabricated an isolation platform for my sub. Since I don't have the moolah unlike my BIGTIME classmate Gilbert(PHILPATH) :envy: , I have decided that the DIY route is much cheaper instead of buying the auralex or voodoo brands. What I did was to use two granite slabs with dynamat xtreme(had success with dynamat on the inner and outer panels of my car's front doors as sound deadeners) in between. I used Macdon's black diamond racing cone clones made of compacted fiberglass underneath the 2 slabs. I replaced the rubber footings of my sub into 3 plumb bobs(60 pesos each from a chinese hardware). What I noticed is tightening of the bass, no boom with good cohesion between my BS and my sub. I'm happy with the result so I'm sharing a pic of the isolation platform I made. :)

Attaboy!!! Congrats on the DIY route classmate. I know that this mod of yours for your subwoofer actually works and sounds great! HOWEVER, the never ending search for audio truth and fidelity continues AKA "UPGRADE". :) :) :) Three cheers for the "UPGRADE KING" Doc Endrick!!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby soundpurist » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 pm

Next to speaker placement, isolation is perhaps the less expensive tweak one can do. I had the vpi TNT resting on a box filled with sand placed on top of a 24 inch sand filled metal stand with metal spikes underneath.I thought it was good enough to isolate the TT from unwanted resonance, however a stump of the feet on the capeted concerete floor or a tap at the stand or the box would still produce annoying audible thuds. I replaced the sand with compact fiber glass (yellow colored acoustic element) and the problem was solved.
I also use powerful subs for audio, and the challenge is far more complicated with regards the analog source. While it's nice at the sweet spot, no matter the adjustments in frequency cut off and output level in the crossovers and the positioning of the subs, the LF energy pressure reverberation at the backseat would freak anyone's ears. In reviewing everything in the analog front end, I noticed that the phonostage has a 2hz filter in each channel, and was set ON. I shut it off and problem solved, I thought. But it resurfaced when I hit the higher volume (starting from 9'oclock position ). It was such a frustrating experience and no one to blame but me and my desire to have enough real bass, and I got more than what I can handle. ;( Finally, I realized it could be the cartridge picking up the powerful LF in the room like a sensitive microphone and amplified into the chain. I placed an acoustic pannel besides the TT to prevent unwanted frequencies getting into it and the cartridge. Thanks, it works. :)
soundpurist
Citizen
Citizen

Postby philpath » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:17 pm

Congrats Doc Tristan. Sana isinama din ako!!! Kahit saling pusa lang! :) :) :)
philpath
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:25 pm

isa lang masasabi ko dito.....

SVELTE

:devil: :devil: :devil:
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby plasticman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 pm

TAS wrote:isa lang masasabi ko dito.....

SVELTE

That's under consideration too!

Just trying if i can get away w/ stuff i have avlble.

Less gastos!!!
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiostar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:03 pm

plasticman wrote:
TAS wrote:isa lang masasabi ko dito.....

SVELTE

That's under consideration too!

Just trying if i can get away w/ stuff i have avlble.

Less gastos!!!

With what your system has achieved sonically all that you need are good quality lps. Fine tune pa natin subs mo as they slowly break in :-)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:44 am

Sharing some pics I took from last week's visit to Doc Tristan's very serene abode down south. As luck would have it, I was asked by Pat Morita to join him (and again, experience his Evel Knievel drving along SLEX) en route to Doc's place for my first listen to the new toys he procured recently. And indeed they are great sounding toys! A very well-tuned and aesthetically warm looking room in multi-amp configuration nicely set up by the troika of Pat, Val and JAA. Doc played a few 'new music' to me and the surprise LP of night was THE END by Black Eyed Peas, with the cut Imma Be almost pulling out Ponytail Pat to the dance floor. I guess it brings back memories of nights at Classmate and Heartbeat. :lol: Great rhythm, great beat, and great balance. Thanks for the session, Doc. :)

And this music video track that rocked the house that night. 8) :rock:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby randybarba » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for posting pics Phil. Was finally able to listen to Tristan's set-up last week and I'm convinced that 2 subs will be the way to go for me in the future.It wasn't actually how low the notes went nor the gapang factor but the clear, musical quality of how the bass notes played that got me. Congrats to Tristan for achieving his musical nirvana :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:50 pm

randybarba wrote:Thanks for posting pics Phil. Was finally able to listen to Tristan's set-up last week and I'm convinced that 2 subs will be the way to go for me in the future.It wasn't actually how low the notes went nor the gapang factor but the clear, musical quality of how the bass notes played that got me. Congrats to Tristan for achieving his musical nirvana :)

My pleasure, Doc Randy. And I agree with you exactly on your observations. The subs really cleaned up the entire sonic spectrum which translated to a very articulate musical presentation. There 'soundness' in the sound. :) Btw, I forgot to mention that Doc T is one fantastic dancer. :rock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby kabubi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:57 pm

jadis wrote:
randybarba wrote:Thanks for posting pics Phil. Was finally able to listen to Tristan's set-up last week and I'm convinced that 2 subs will be the way to go for me in the future.It wasn't actually how low the notes went nor the gapang factor but the clear, musical quality of how the bass notes played that got me. Congrats to Tristan for achieving his musical nirvana :)

My pleasure, Doc Randy. And I agree with you exactly on your observations. The subs really cleaned up the entire sonic spectrum which translated to a very articulate musical presentation. There 'soundness' in the sound. :) Btw, I forgot to mention that Doc T is one fantastic dancer. :rock:

Phil,

does this mean you will be incorporating a pair of Rhythmiks with your faithful Maggies? ;)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:18 pm

kabubi wrote:
jadis wrote:

Phil,

does this mean you will be incorporating a pair of Rhythmiks with your faithful Maggies? ;)

Bubs,

That is not utterly unthinkable in the near term. It is actually utterly thinkable, that is the scary part! :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby plasticman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks sir Jadis for the pics and the favorable review! Pero sa totoo lang, mas masaya ata si Pat Morita kesa sa akin tuwing may natutuwa sa bass quality nung system eh ;)

Doc randy and jadis,
Kabitan na natin yang systems nyo ng rhythmiks! Turuan ko na lang kayo ng required dance moves that go with the music :rofl:
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 pm

plasticman wrote: Pero sa totoo lang, mas masaya ata si Pat Morita kesa sa akin tuwing may natutuwa sa bass quality nung system eh ;)

Tama ang observation mo dyan, Doc. Head and toe (Cart and Sub) pa nga ang hawak ni Pat, kaya super happy siya. :lol:

plasticman wrote:Doc randy and jadis,
Kabitan na natin yang systems nyo ng rhythmiks! Turuan ko na lang kayo ng required dance moves that go with the music :rofl:

Doc, di ko kaya ang ganoon na dance moves mo, kahit ilan pa ang rhythmiks ko. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby randybarba » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:45 pm

plasticman wrote:Thanks sir Jadis for the pics and the favorable review! Pero sa totoo lang, mas masaya ata si Pat Morita kesa sa akin tuwing may natutuwa sa bass quality nung system eh ;)

Doc randy and jadis,

Konting ipon muna tristan. Medyo palabas lahat ngayon. Wala na pasyente :lol:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to audiostar's corner