Music album reviews/Taylor Swift is angry

Val Villanueva's special audio forum

Moderator: audiostar

Re: Some Enchanted Evening (Audiofile, Phil. Star, 08/29/10)

Postby kabubi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:41 pm

O.D. Yeo wrote:
audiostar wrote:
Dong, kailangan marinig namin yan boses mo. May itinatago ka palaImage

Rossano Brazzi ng Las Pinas!

oo nga, ano! :D :D :D :D :D
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Re: Music album reviews exclusive to WS

Postby Jon Agner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Si Ninong pala ang nasa limelight ngayon :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby audiostar » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:06 pm

The comedy act that won for Jo Stafford and her husband, Paul Weston a Grammy was the Jonathan and Darlene Edwards Show. It’s actually a parody of a bad lounge act. The act showed how the two can be very creative. It’s difficult singing out of tune on purpose. They have to know just how far they can stretch the bad notes; and he two have it down to perfection. Another two degrees more and it would be unbearable but they keep it just within the realms of perfection. Watch and listen and be amused:

audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby merlin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:16 pm

kabubi wrote:
O.D. Yeo wrote:
audiostar wrote:
Dong, kailangan marinig namin yan boses mo. May itinatago ka palaImage

Napasubo na tuloy ako kay MandyM. Ex-Repertory pala yung brother niya :o
merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:57 pm

merlin wrote:
kabubi wrote:
O.D. Yeo wrote:

Napasubo na tuloy ako kay MandyM. Ex-Repertory pala yung brother niya :o

so kelan ka mag-coconcert? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
kabubi wrote:
O.D. Yeo wrote:

so kelan ka mag-coconcert? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 pm

audiostar wrote:The comedy act that won for Jo Stafford and her husband, Paul Weston a Grammy was the Jonathan and Darlene Edwards Show. It’s actually a parody of a bad lounge act. The act showed how the two can be very creative. It’s difficult singing out of tune on purpose. They have to know just how far they can stretch the bad notes; and he two have it down to perfection. Another two degrees more and it would be unbearable but they keep it just within the realms of perfection. Watch and listen and be amused:

I remember this recording :o :o :o Didn't know that it was the Jo Stafford and Paul Weston all along :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should hear their rendition of "Staying Alive" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Can't help but laugh after that as I thought the singer would suddenly collapse after singing this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Re: Music album reviews/Taylor Swift is angry

Postby audiostar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Sunday Life
The Philippine Star

'Speak Now'
AUDIOFILE By Val A. Villanueva
Sunday, February 13, 2010

This is by far her most artistic album

While eagerly waiting for my reliable vinyl ‘pusher’ to deliver my order of Taylor Swift’s 'Speak Now' album in its vinyl format, I couldn’t help but listen to several tracks of the album from iTunes downloads. My computer’s aging Audigy sound card and its Cambridge Soundworks speakers may pale in comparison to my main analog system, but the way it reproduces music is decent enough for me to at least understand the genius of this stunningly beautiful girl that many say is just too good for her age.

In fact, it is Taylor’s youth and sweet face that magnetize a lot of appreciative people, me included, to her music. On second thought, how many artists, much older than she, can produce good materials the way she does? Consider this: in only about four years, this 20-year old has engraved her name on more stylish songs in different music genres than any other artist.

Remember the brouhaha caused by singer/rapper Kanye West when he tried to shamelessly take the limelight from Taylor during a recent MTV award ceremony? He got all the flak, and she emerged from it with great aplomb, revitalized and ready to dominate the music world.

'Speak Now' is Taylor’s third album and has been rated twice as good her 2008's 'Fearless'. All the 14 tracks of the album journal the optimism and imaginings of every starry-eyed small-town girl, and she wrote them all. She also co-produced the album with Nathan Chapman who also helped in Taylor’s first two albums. Taylor’s knack is in turning what would have been a melodramatic song in the hands of another singer-composer into a remarkable chart-topping hit.

And boy, Taylor is angry. The six-and-a-half minute fifth track “Dear John,” in my opinion, is the most sizzling and quite unbeatable. Blatantly confrontational, it’s the musical lament of a young girl in anguish over a devastating heartbreak: “Don’t you think I was too young to be messed with? The girl in the dress cried the whole way home I should have known."

The song has unearthed not only Taylor’s rage at how love and life can be full of pain, but also her ingenuity. I was expecting her all too recognizable country-pop mode, but she has created electric blues, with guitar-plucking strikingly similar to that of John Mayer’s who probably owns the style. Many are speculating even that the John in the title is Mayer himself, with whom Taylor has performed with and who, according to tattlers, was in a relationship with her early last year. Whoever this John is (and I'm quite sure is Mayer), he must have done something that viciously pained her deeply.

The Taylor in 'Speak Now' has metamorphosed into a wiser young adult, certainly a far cry from what she was when she made her first trip to Nashville at the age of 11, hoping to clinch a record deal by distributing demo tape of her singing with karaoke songs. Each label in town received a copy of her tape, but all of them rejected her.

In 2006, she released her debut single 'Tim McGraw', then her self-titled debut album, which was subsequently certified multi-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and was nominated for the Best New Artist award at the 50th Grammy Awards. In November 2008, Taylor released her second album,'Fearless', and the recording earned for her four Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year, at the 52nd Grammy Awards. 'Fearless' and Taylor Swift finished 2008 at number-three and number-six, respectively, with sales of 2.1 and 1.5 million. 'Fearless' topped the Billboard 200 for 11 non-consecutive weeks; no other album has spent more time at No. 1 since 2000. Taylor was named Artist of the Year by Billboard Magazine in 2009. On October 25, 2010, she released her third album 'Speak Now' which sold 1,047,000 copies in its first week.

'Speak Now' is by far Taylor’s most unrestrained work, but it is also the most musically distinct, brilliant and, in my book, her best so far.

For comments or questions, please e-mail me at audioglow@yahoo.com or at vphl@hotmail.com. You can also visit http://www.wiredstate.com or you can tweet audiofiler at http://www.twitter.com for quick answers to your audio concerns.
audiostar

Postby Superman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Congrats!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby audiostar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Follow the song and try to digest the lyrics. I pity Taylor for dating a douchebag, but pray that she finds her true love among decent men. She's just too nice to be made a prey and devoured by a sexual predator.

Dear John

Long were the nights when my days once revolved around you
Counting my footsteps, praying the floor wont fall through
Again
And my mother accused me of losing my mind
But I swore I was fine

You paint me a blue sky
And go back and turn it to rain
And I lived in your chess game but you changed the rules everyday
Wonderin' which version of you I might get on the phone
Tonight
Well I stopped picking up and this song is to let you know why

Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone
Don't you think I was too young to be messed with?
The girl in the dress cried the whole way home
I should have known

Well maybe it's me and my blind optimism to blame
Maybe it's you and you're sick need to give love and take it away
And you'll add my name to your long list of traitors who don't understand
And I'll look back and regret how I ignored when they said run as fast as you can

Dear John, I see it all now, it was wrong
Don't you think 19's too young to be played by your dark twisted games
When I loved you so
I should have known

You are an expert at "sorry"
And keeping lines blurry
Never impressed by me acing your tests
All the girls that you've run dry have tired, lifeless eyes
Cause you burned them out
But I took your matches before fire could catch me
So don't look now
I'm shining like fireworks over your sad empty town...

I see it all now that you're gone
The girl in the dress wrote you a song
You should have known
You should have known

Don't you think I was too young?
You should have known...
audiostar

Postby spare_2_win » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Excellent review Sir Val! Indeed Miss Taylor here did outshine her two previous albums, with lyrics that reflects somewhat of her life experiences. It is also worth mentioning that this album is the fastest selling country-pop genre album for 2010, reaching multi-platinum in just a few months. And with no less than 3 major Grammy awards won, this album is one for the books. :clap:
spare_2_win
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 pm

asan na kaya un lp ko nyan....mukhang nasa sta.rosa na :@ :@ :@
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby spare_2_win » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:00 pm

TAS wrote:asan na kaya un lp ko nyan....mukhang nasa sta.rosa na :@ :@ :@

Hehe tuesday asa yo na pati cover. ;)
spare_2_win
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:13 pm

buti nalang yung copy ko nakuha ko na :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby audiostar » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 pm

spare_2_win wrote:Excellent review Sir Val! Indeed Miss Taylor here did outshine her two previous albums, with lyrics that reflects somewhat of her life experiences. It is also worth mentioning that this album is the fastest selling country-pop genre album for 2010, reaching multi-platinum in just a few months. And with no less than 3 major Grammy awards won, this album is one for the books. :clap:

True. Listening to her songs is just like reading her diary. O yung di pa nakakaorder, bili na agad. Marami pa si Caloy copies nito :devil: :lol: :lol:
audiostar

Postby Superman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Jon Agner wrote:buti nalang yung copy ko nakuha ko na :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Psssst, yung copy ko ha! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby jadis » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Very revealing and interesting article, Val. Taylor is one of the few artists to come out of my son's ipod that I truly can relate and comprehend. :lol: Very nice young voice and from the performance on Letterman's show she can emote and use her hand gestures to the max. Very feminine too. I haven't really took time out to listen to most of her music but in time I will. Very refreshing artist. And her multiple Grammys speak for itself. She IS a great star. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for this, Val!

I always read your pieces because the paths you explore are different from mine. For example, you seem to have realized a long-time frustration of mine of not having a proper horns and SET system. Ditto for analog where I'm a newbie (who hasn't listened to much analog of late).

Your writing thus makes me feel that I somehow still know what goes on had I taken a different path.

On Taylor Swift, we are on the same page. It was actually my 11 year old daughter and my college-age niece who introduced me to her. They told me that she actually made it a point to finish school despite all her musical talent and raging fame which all the more impressed me.

She is refreshingly honest, I guess we all were when we were 20 and I think we will all enjoy as she sings about her experiences in the coming years.
rtsyrtsy

Postby kabubi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 pm

ang husay ng pagkakasulat mo ng piyesang ito, brader.

it's one of those writeups that gives me the impression that it didnt take a long time to finish. the syntax is uncomplicated because it doesnt over-analyze things. and the words and sentences have an ebb and flow that is liquid in its quality.

i didnt like Taylor Swift. now, i do. kinda like Alanis Morisette, but not as angry and vengeful.

John Mayer sure has a habit of turning bodies from wonderland to wasteland, eh Val?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby carbondated » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Aha, the Taylor Swift fans are coming out of the woodwork! Thought it was just me! :D
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to audiostar's corner