Ask BOMALABS, & get no BS answers (Bomalabs- C'mon down)

Moderator: bb3

Postby hein » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:14 pm

Vrion, you seem eager to replace the Mission m73i. Wats wrong with the sound kaya ? Its liitle sister m71 is said to be a good BUDGET speaker. But I have yet to testdrive a pair. Please enlighten us. Thanks.
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vrion » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:29 pm

hein wrote:Vrion, you seem eager to replace the Mission m73i. Wats wrong with the sound kaya ? Its liitle sister m71 is said to be a good BUDGET speaker. But I have yet to testdrive a pair. Please enlighten us. Thanks.

No problem with the sounds. First reason, it was just "stolen" from the HT set-up and perfectly matched with the M7C2 center speaker and has to be returned soon, or else bagsak ang WAF :D ... Second, want to try different speakers with higher sensitivity for the 300B, though M73i is rated at 90db...
vrion

Postby bomalabs » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:20 pm

hey guys, i was informed that this thread is open for business again. so in case in case you need my help just give me a shout. thanks.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:48 pm

hey gerry, this thread has always been "open for business" :-)

in addition to querries posted here, there are also other topics of interest in the other threads/forums at WS which will benefit from your experience and wisdom :-)

thanks for your help and support
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bomalabs » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:13 am

hi vintage dog, i failed to explain that i was out of circulation for a while and not able to access this site. i am much grateful to you for all the support you have given to philippine audio in general. you have given it the shot in the arm it has long needed and for that alone should be recognized as everyone knows how hard it is to bring together more than three filipinos in one room, let alone about a thousand. thanks again for tweaking the filpino community and having the patience to deal with all sorts of different characters. mabuhay ka, francis.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman90a » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:39 pm

Sir GK - what are your thoughts on speaker cables? I've gone from non-believer to the converted - back to dubious :)

i've always tried the cheaper alternatives, electrical wire - cat5, magnet wire and am now back to my relatively cheap IXOS 6007 :)

what should we listen for when trying cables out?
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:12 am

ice, "patch cable" ba yung cat5 mo, i.e. the stranded version?
dogears
Master
Master

Postby iceman90a » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:22 am

dogears wrote:ice, "patch cable" ba yung cat5 mo, i.e. the stranded version?

nope just the regular single strand :)
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:12 pm

try to get some patch cables and give it a try... o kaya bili ka na lang. magkano ba yung ixos mo? i'm not sure if the patch cable would be cheaper than your ixos :D

anyway, i was able to salvage more than a meter of patch cable [forget where from] and used 4 for each channel [2 for each signal], the diff from my cable talk and qed could easily be perceived. haven't tried against more expensive cables though.

sorry for the OT post :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby bomalabs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:38 pm

iceman,
i believe that cables, speaker or interconnect, are as important as any component. when it comes to listenening, look for all the usual changes you would expect from a component. soundstage, depth, they should remove any coloration and reveal the true nature of your other components, etc. borrow a set and let me know what you hear. there is also a way of setting up speaker cables and interconnects. they are directional and some should be floated i.e. raised above the ground.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman90a » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:57 pm

my most recent AB comparison of speaker wires were AP Oval12 and Ecosse 2.3, on my 300b and a pair of single driver spkrs - the ecosse had weightier bass, which i preferred over the AP's - as to other differences or similarities, i cant put them in words but i liked the ecosse more :)

in this example, i found out that the sound i preferred came from cheaper (of the 2) cables, which is why i'm hesitant about going for more expensive ones :)

please tell more about how to set-up the cables, which should be floated... etc

thanks!
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bomalabs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:02 pm

iceman,
you are a lucky man if you find that a cheaper set of cables pleases you more. if this is the case, then stay with them for as long as they make you you happy. just be sure they are true to the sound. about setting up cables, what i have learned is that the more they are moved around, the muddier they sound. in other words, once you set them up, you should leave them alone! this has been long the subject of many a discussion with cable makers from all over the world. the cable should be set to "nest" on the floor and not moved around every time you move a component. this is because the flow of electrodes has gotten the "groove" of it's setting. when you move it around, you subject it to disruption, hence, it has to settle once again, and the sound gets all muddled all over again. this calls for another round of setting up and waiting for the cables to settle down. with regards to floating, try to float speaker cables first and let me know.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:11 am

ice, pahiram na rin ng ecosse pag me time :P
dogears
Master
Master

Postby iceman90a » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:07 pm

iceman90a wrote:my most recent AB comparison of speaker wires were AP Oval12 and Ecosse 2.3, on my 300b and a pair of single driver spkrs - the ecosse had weightier bass, which i preferred over the AP's - as to other differences or similarities, i cant put them in words but i liked the ecosse more :)

in this example, i found out that the sound i preferred came from cheaper (of the 2) cables, which is why i'm hesitant about going for more expensive ones :)

please tell more about how to set-up the cables, which should be floated... etc

thanks!

just an update on my speaker cable hunt :)

I borrowed the Ecosse to try at home - too much bass, they got a little boomy so they didnt stay

last saturday I got to compare XLO Pro with AP Clear ovals at home - and I preferred the AP sound this time... smooth mids and highs, bass is tight :)

I also tried floating the cables, dont know if I did it right - I used twist wire to secure some parts to the rack so that none of it touches the ground - couldn't hear any difference :oops:
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bomalabs » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:00 pm

iceman,
i suggest you replace the twist wires with plastic ties instead. the metal in the twist wire is not good. with regards to not hearing an effect of this tweak, you have to remember that the culmination of all your tweaking efforts willl make a sound difference, and you will hear a difference with a combination of all the little tweaks, all of which will make a difference. just keep going at it. have you expereimented with toeing your speakers in? and how far are they from the rear wall? that may need some work. if you are still not happy with the sound. let me know how your speakers are set up and what kind of sound you are getting.and what kind of sound you want so we can figure out where you want to go.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby marty_e » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:45 pm

Hi Mr Bomlabs, are you still giving away alignment protractors?
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:29 pm

Bomalabs exposes poor audio recording practices by Chavit and RJ

IF there’s such a thing as a "smoking tape," this is not the one. This one’s a dud.

Chavit Singson and rocker RJ Jacinto could have done a better job by getting professional advice from one of the music pirates at Makati Cinema Square, sound experts whom we talked to say. The alleged phone call, all of 41 seconds where Estrada supposedly plots the assassination of Pres. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, is "such an amateur job that the pirates are considering suing them," quips Gerry Kaimo, an audiophile and independent record producer.

We know this CD is spurious and are only making the "Chavit X-Tapes" downloadable from this blog for your weekend entertainment pleasure. We like to second Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago’s proposal that all those who have wiretapped tapes have only until July 31 to make them available to the public. Please let us know ASAP so we can get more bandwidth and make it easier for our readers to download them.

Full article click here.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby Lordfoo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:23 am

Hi.

To any speaker DIY expert, I need to re-glue the surrounds of a Cerwin Vega D9 speaker. The speaker is in very good condition except that the surrounds (which are not the original surrounds) have come unglued.

Please advise what brand of glue available locally would be best for this situation.

regards,
Lordfoo

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:44 am

Lordfoo wrote:Hi.

To any speaker DIY expert, I need to re-glue the surrounds of a Cerwin Vega D9 speaker. The speaker is in very good condition except that the surrounds (which are not the original surrounds) have come unglued.

Please advise what brand of glue available locally would be best for this situation.

regards,

Hi, not Bomalabs but normally in this situation I use the silicon gasket maker normally used in engines.

Hope this helps.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Lordfoo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:38 pm

thanks, It just so happened that there's some leftover from my car's repair last month. Its the black kind.
Lordfoo

PreviousNext

Return to TUESDAY CLUB