Ask BOMALABS, & get no BS answers (Bomalabs- C'mon down)

Moderator: bb3

Postby red76 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:23 pm

zach wrote:gerry!!!! ayus!!! i havent heard from you in years!!! mabuhay N/A records!

N/A? I was hoping that some more interesting artists would be included in in that label. Sadly Lampano Alley is gone... Anyways, anyone know if Murder of Crows released an album? I heard some of their demos more than a year ago and I really like them. That lil drummer girl has the chops and can sing + write good tunes. Maybe somone can book groups like Woudji (N/A) or Majam (documento) for the next WS Audio fair? That is, if they still exist...

If that's you Gerry K.. Welcome to WS. I listened to your radio show when I was an impressionable kid way back in the early 90's. I remember you were interviewing this foreign dude that has a really cool collection of artists of non-watered down jazz and beyond (stuff that 88.3 wouldn't touch in their reg programming). I think he owns a fully balanced FM Acoustics or maybe Goldmund system if I'm not mistaken? All i clearly remember is the talk about a fully balanced system...
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jo2 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:23 pm

qguy wrote:Bomalabs,

How is the correct height of the singer achieved when "most" loudspeakers tweeters/mids are designed to be at the ear level of a seated listener ?

thanks

bomalabs wrote: let's talk audio, I think one of the more important aspects that should be taught to the newly born audiophiles (man are we glad you guys are here!) is depth of sound, layering, placement of musicians in their locations by your equipment, height of singer (baka pandak si Julie London.

This is one of the "difference" why other speakers cost more!

It creates music/sound in a magical way, sort of like breaking the LAWS of PHYSICS.

That 5%(?) difference is what some Lunatic audiophile/Music lover - including me - that makes you buy and upgrade to the next level.

IMHO, Not much of a difference but costly!

What's so special with that 5%(?) difference?

A lot....

not easy to design.....

expensive........

and lots of R & D. :wink:

And better sounding! :)

Is is worthy?

YES!
jo2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby KD » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:26 pm

hein wrote:Hoy Gerry K, hina-hunting ka ni Manny P. Ano ba yan?

Well, n years and x lawyers later, Manny P was unable to bring down Gerry's website. :lol: I think it's Manny P who should be hiding now.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:46 pm

anyone tried 50 inch stands ?..or putting the stands on floorstander to achieved correct height...and then tilt the loudspeaker downwards ...

50 inch stands "might" provide the correct SONIC image but would provide the wrong VISUAL image

another solution it to just imagine tha the singer is seated..hehehe

jo2 wrote:
qguy wrote:Bomalabs,

How is the correct height of the singer achieved when "most" loudspeakers tweeters/mids are designed to be at the ear level of a seated listener ?

thanks

bomalabs wrote: let's talk audio, I think one of the more important aspects that should be taught to the newly born audiophiles (man are we glad you guys are here!) is depth of sound, layering, placement of musicians in their locations by your equipment, height of singer (baka pandak si Julie London.

This is one of the "difference" why other speakers cost more!

It creates music/sound in a magical way, sort of like breaking the LAWS of PHYSICS.

That 5%(?) difference is what some Lunatic audiophile/Music lover - including me - that makes you buy and upgrade to the next level.

IMHO, Not much of a difference but costly!

What's so special with that 5%(?) difference?

A lot....

not easy to design.....

expensive........

and lots of R & D. :wink:

And better sounding! :)

Is is worthy?

YES!
qguy
Master
Master

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:48 pm

Gerry,

Still remember me? We corresponded via email about AV Rumours. Geez that's almost 8 years ago. Funny how time flies eh? Welcome to Wiredstate!
Hyperion

Postby zach » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:48 pm

red76 wrote: Maybe somone can book groups like Woudji (N/A) or Majam (documento) for the next WS Audio fair? That is, if they still exist...

sadly wudouji is no more. i ran into the bassist of majam at the ust conservatory of music when we did a music clinic last week. i think they are just waiting for some bookings. they are not that active nowadays. the bassist is a professor at the college of music :)
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zach » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:07 pm

oh and murder of crowes never pushed through with their album as well. their drummer ria is now with a band called Paramita :)
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bomalabs » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:33 pm

gguy,
i tuned my friend cesar's room last week.he has a classe system and enlightened audio for the front end. acoustats for speakers. his room is a dedicated listening room, with tube traps that i made ten years ago.
it was sounding OK but the vocalist was medyo mababa rin. So at first I very slightly toed in those giant speakers. (Tweaking is not a job for the impatient) and then Cesar pulled off his magic move. pulling out the tube trap from the bay window behind the system and kazaam! audio heaven. he is still enjoying the music. cesar is like that. one tweak that he likes and you can leave him to enjoy it for weeks till he calls again for another tweak, but thats only cause something is sounding bad. Oh to have his temperament. He is one of my best friends too. I hope this was a little help to you guys. It's the little things that cause the finer details to come out of a system, and you can learn about these by reading. Buy past issues of TAS, Stereophile Laura Dearborn, who I met in Vegas, has a book called Good Sound. This is a good buy and an easy read. Hey Hyperion email me naman.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby red76 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:50 pm

zach wrote:oh and murder of crowes never pushed through with their album as well. their drummer ria is now with a band called Paramita :)

Thanx for the info Zach. :) Was it a big shift of musical stylings from Crows to Paramita (zen buddhism ala J. Cage)? I guess Majam would be a very good candidate to book for the next WS Fair since their looking for gigs... It's not the type of 'jazz' u hear at hotel gigs.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zach » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:36 am

ey red, d naman ganun kalayo. she still sings for her new band.
ye dito on majam
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jjm » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:04 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:No more BS. :lol: Its now time move-up to the next level and learn from the main-man. :)

Last time I saw Gerry Kaimo was when he received the webby awards for PLDT.com at New World Hotel. :D
jjm

my first query

Postby XLR_silver » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:30 am

sir bomalabs,

beginners like me who are fairly new in this hobby are honored by your presence in this forum. we'll be very happy to learn even just a fraction of the vast knowledge and experience you have in this hobby.

anyway, the first couple of things i'd like to ask pertain to DIY and Single-ended Triode based systems.

On DIY:
there has been a noticeable rise in the number of audio enthusiasts who have decided to take the DIY route. what are your opinions about DIY? Do you recommend that beginners take or avoid this route?

On SET amps:
What is your opinion of Class A operation in amplifiers? Whose single-ended triode amp based systems (low powered amps matched with efficient speakers) do you like best? What are the system components, if ever?
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:25 am

Gerry and I knew each other way back the early 90s. The early PAS days.
I had been to his place to listen and vice-versa. We share passion for
music, in stereo. We were contributors of the early PAS journals, and
he became editor of AV Rumors of JR in which I also contributed. I was
also part of the 88.3 gig ( I got invited twice to guest on the program ).
And it was in this period that Gerry would go to those NYC trips as
DX mentioned, to visit HP. That was an audiophile's dream. As readers'
of TAS, there's nothing like to meet the real guy (or whatever). :)

It was also Gerry who invited me to grace the Tuesday club meetings
and I felt good that he sees me for what I truly am, not a political
nor biased entity, but as a pure and dedicated audiophile.
Good to see you around, Gerry. I myself just stepped in a few weeks
ago. And I'm having fun....

PS: I really loved your group's idea to bring in software. That was
what we lacked desperately. Too much hardware and no software.
I had a dream to put up an audiophile LP and CD store in one of
the malls then, but plans never pushed through. Something like
YK Audio in HK, all good softwares...but alas, we seem to have
no lucrative market here, on a business standpoint.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:38 pm

jadis wrote:Gerry and I knew each other way back the early 90s. The early PAS days.
I had been to his place to listen and vice-versa. We share passion for
music, in stereo. We were contributors of the early PAS journals, and
he became editor of AV Rumors of JR in which I also contributed. I was
also part of the 88.3 gig ( I got invited twice to guest on the program ).
And it was in this period that Gerry would go to those NYC trips as
DX mentioned, to visit HP. That was an audiophile's dream. As readers'
of TAS, there's nothing like to meet the real guy (or whatever). :)

It was also Gerry who invited me to grace the Tuesday club meetings
and I felt good that he sees me for what I truly am, not a political
nor biased entity, but as a pure and dedicated audiophile.
Good to see you around, Gerry. I myself just stepped in a few weeks
ago. And I'm having fun....

PS: I really loved your group's idea to bring in software. That was
what we lacked desperately. Too much hardware and no software.
I had a dream to put up an audiophile LP and CD store in one of
the malls then, but plans never pushed through. Something like
YK Audio in HK, all good softwares...but alas, we seem to have
no lucrative market here, on a business standpoint.

Audio Gods touch base. Is this Greece and Troy? :D :D :D
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:15 pm

ihatejazz wrote:Audio Gods touch base. Is this Greece and Troy? :D :D :D

Who will be the King of Kings :?: :lol: :D :lol: :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:34 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
ihatejazz wrote:Audio Gods touch base. Is this Greece and Troy? :D :D :D

Who will be the King of Kings :?: :lol: :D :lol: :D

certainly NOT the Gorgon and Medusa in Clash of the Titans. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Spectral » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:34 pm

BoMALABS!!!!! kamusta ka diyan CHONG!!!! Hahahah..... I heard BB is also lurking around. Back from the grave ba???? See ya Soon GK. Hi also to JJM, I see more and more old timers here. thank god more sensible people are appearing.
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:38 pm

Spectral,

so you know JJM? pakibulong lang sa akin identity nya...i know who you are na, spectral
old chap.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Spectral » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:46 pm

Greetings Jadis,

Its been long time, good to see you here at the forums. I will just PM you JJM's identity. hehe. Maybe this is a good time to schedule a listening session, if you have tranferred already, I havent yet seen it. Glad to hear from you.

Spectral
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:16 pm

Spectral wrote:BoMALABS!!!!! kamusta ka diyan CHONG!!!! Hahahah..... I heard BB is also lurking around. Back from the grave ba???? See ya Soon GK. Hi also to JJM, I see more and more old timers here. thank god more sensible people are appearing.

Its about time :!: :lol:

:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

PreviousNext

Return to TUESDAY CLUB