Ask BOMALABS, & get no BS answers (Bomalabs- C'mon down)

Moderator: bb3

Postby bomalabs » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:06 pm

hein : likewise old pal, i'll be seeing you. it'll be great, after such a long time.
J Agner : rather than plain cabinets, maybe those of you who are showing up on monday for the transparent audio and genesis talks (i need RSVP's fellas!), can take a look at the walls of jr's rooms, the wood panelling in different sizes are a huge help in diffusing the sound. re the cabinets, anything that will disrupt the sound waves will help improve the sound. I'll show you what i mean on Monday.
ice: c'mon guy, the tv has to go. this is a hobby in which tough sacrifices have to be made. you want to have a great audio video sound, it looks like you got it. but put the tv somewhere else first even for a day and listen to what your audio system is capable of doing sans all that clutter. i am almost sure the sound will improve. you won't lose anything by trying to do that but a lot to gain if it works, and based on the picture posted it will work. the problem, it seems, lies in the fact that you want the best of both worlds. You can have the best of both worlds, Ice, but not in the same place.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:20 pm

thanks noct, i have a topic called Room Treatment Believe It, we can continue there...
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby noctilux » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:31 pm

GK,

I havent heard from the rest of the tuesday club about the function at JR's. Are we meeting there?

Noct/Raf
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:56 pm

vince, try mo sabitan ng hotdog pillow [yung medyo malambot specifically fiberfill filling] yung magkabilang side ng rack mo. see what happens ;) do play with the height where you would hang it.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:32 pm

GK,

would there be time slots? I would like to attend but I'll be only free after 6 pm.

Thanks
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby iceman90a » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:38 am

bomalabs wrote:
ice: c'mon guy, the tv has to go. this is a hobby in which tough sacrifices have to be made. you want to have a great audio video sound, it looks like you got it. but put the tv somewhere else first even for a day and listen to what your audio system is capable of doing sans all that clutter. i am almost sure the sound will improve. you won't lose anything by trying to do that but a lot to gain if it works, and based on the picture posted it will work. the problem, it seems, lies in the fact that you want the best of both worlds. You can have the best of both worlds, Ice, but not in the same place.

after bribing my brother with the promise of a steak lunch, he came over this morning and we did some major surgery..

i measured the room width, its 108 inches
distance from front wall to back of my chair is 118 inches
back of my chair to wall is 43 inches - unfortunately i cant move the chair back anymore because its against the stairway already

i now have the back of the spkrs 23 inches from the back wall and the center - 21 inches away from the side wall

more tips please :)

definite IMPROVEMENT... i know i know you told me so :D

thank you all :)
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bomalabs » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:39 pm

J Agner
Suggest you show up na lang when you can.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bomalabs » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:43 pm

ice,
are you ready for part 2? or do you want to enjoy this sound first?
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman90a » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:00 pm

bomalabs wrote:ice,
are you ready for part 2? or do you want to enjoy this sound first?

:D give me a week first Sir - to sort of figure things out for myself... then hit me with the haymaker :D

thanks!
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Help!

Postby vrion » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:22 am

Sir Gerry, SIr Noc and all gurus

I'd also like to request for your help in maximizing the performance of my rather very small listening room, it measures 9 x 12 x 7' .W x L x H (quite small :cry: ) 3 sides and floor are concrete, ceiling and one short side are painted plywood. I can do tweaks to the room with only budget as the limiting factor :) .

I'll try to post pic soon including my entry level set-up. (Ice, pre help me here -- pls give me pm on how to post pics :) )

Any suggestions are welcome. :)

thanks
vrion

Postby bomalabs » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:30 am

thats what im here for-- bring it on!
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hans adriane » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:40 pm

Hi Gk,

Sir is there an ideal distance of the speaker from the side wall?? thanks :)
Hans adriane
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:52 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:I think Bomalabs should have his own "BOMALABS' CORNER". :)

His vast experience, and no B.S. approach in the hobby can help every-all. :)

What do you think :?:

Pwede diba :?: :)

Since no moderator is willing to give Bomalabs his own Section :( , I have changed the title of this thread to a more appropriate heading. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby arnoldc » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:08 pm

mr. shoomi, the champion, no moderator can create a new section. it is only the *administrator* capable of doing that. not moi.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby qguy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:36 pm

Gerry,

Whats your position on Sub / Sat systems with different types of amps.. tube for Satellites and SS for subwoofers ?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby vrion » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:00 pm

bomalabs wrote:thats what im here for-- bring it on!

With some serious deep breaths, Im now posting my on-going project...

1. Last week i had my old stock room cleaned and painted, the size and materials were described in my previous post.

2. Made a rack based on TNT flex and inspired by Arnoldc's acrylic (thanks sir) though I used 3/4 plywood and galvanized threaded rod. (mas mura :D )

3. Transferred my entry level equipment and here it goes.... (ice.. thanks for the instructions..)

Description of equipment:

JVC TT - a cost effective one (meaning mura din :) ) used to play my old man's record
Yamaha CD Player (493?)
Scott 222D - currently playing
Tono 300B - at rest waiting for a preamp with PS
mission m73i speaker - stolen from my HT, sana mapalitan na :wink:
ecosse 2.3 speaker cable / ordinary IC
and an ordinary AVR

The sound when I tried last night is at par with my expectation though I want it clearer, with more body and seems I cant clearly locate the sound stage :? . My type of music, slow music and vocals, fast -- siguro hangang new wave lang... di masyadong mahilig sa rock..

I know a lot of improvements should be done to the room and off course with the equipment . Thus Im requesting for help how can I treat this set-up to maximize the performance...

SALAMAT po :D
vrion

Postby bomalabs » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:55 pm

Hans : depends on size of room. too close and they will bounce the sound right off them.
gguy : re subs on systems, i don't think they should be used on the same system. (not for them
vrion : bring the speakers in closer from the walls and toe them in about two inches more or less. Throw an area rug on the floor in fornt of the speakers. Try to dampen your walls behind and on the side walls. I suggest the AVR be placed on the floor, it may be the cause of some vibration. A rule of thumb guys, you willwant to isolate each and every piece of equipment from each other as much as possible. Reason for this us that each one vibrates at it's own level, so check out those tiny isolators-cones, dampers, etc. And remember to keep your cables as permanent as possible, meaning do not move them around all the time. Set them up. And leave them there. Let the signal path get used to their "passageway" and you will be surprised at how the sound improves as time goes by. Once the cables get used to their pathway, they "settle down and the "flow" gets used to it's path. Sound look voodoo to you? well, it works. More later, guys.
Happy tweaking!
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hans adriane » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:23 pm

bomalabs wrote:Hans : depends on size of room. too close and they will bounce the sound right off them.

Happy tweaking!

GK,

Thanks... btw just tried putting curtain behind my rack notice an improvement highs clearer and better soundstage will do some experiment more.. :)
Hans adriane
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vrion » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:56 am

Sir GK,

Thanks. I will do them and keep this thread posted. Another questions, is it worth trying to put the speakers at the long side of the wall?
vrion

Postby bomalabs » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:37 am

vrion,
thats a good rule of thumb to follow. equipment should be on long end of room always. and dont forget the rule of thirds as a starting point.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to TUESDAY CLUB