Ask BOMALABS, & get no BS answers (Bomalabs- C'mon down)

Moderator: bb3

Ask BOMALABS, & get no BS answers (Bomalabs- C'mon down)

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:40 am

Heard you are just lurking. :) C'mon and join the fun. :)

Members would be more than happy to know your experience in the hobby. :)

Bomalabs was one of the the big boys of the Tuesday Club. :o

He was also the Editor-in-Chief of the premier Audio Magazing published locally (Audio Video Rumors). :o

He is also a personal friend of Harry Pearson (HP). :o

What more can I say...........

Want to learn the next level of Hi-End :?: Bomalabs is D'Man :!: :)
Last edited by m_shoe_maker on Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby bb3 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:01 am

He is also a personal friend of Harry Pearson (HP).

he is the only pinoy i know who regularly gets in touch with HP eversince they met at the NY high end audio fair in the 90's.
classmate, kwento mo naman yung storya behind HP's shots at the back cover of TAS.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:30 am

We were together in New York during that '96 HiFi Show at Waldorf-Astoria. We had a great time with JR, Ronald Canoy, remember? MSM, if you noticed the red colored box set of BILL EVANS -Complete Riverside Recording in my collection. He brought it in and I saw it at JR's. Plucked it but haven't played it to date. (I have almost all of Bill Evan's LPs that are duplicates of what is in the box set.) Noctilux drools over it each time he notices it :)

Yup, come on down!
:D :D :D
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:41 am

paano naman kaming mga hindi in-the-loop? we have no idea who you guys are talking about :???
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Re: Bomalabs - C'mon down!

Postby RU9 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:44 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:Heard you are just lurking. :) C'mon and join the fun. :)

He was also the Editor-in-Chief of the premier Audio Magazing published locally (Audio Video Rumors). :o

Mabuhay ang Pilipino pero hindi lahat!

Bomalabs,
I remember you told me before that the public should be educated on audio because they tend to buy those miniboxes with deceiving PMPO
ratings. I believe this venue is a start.

I saw a lot of Chesky records in Manila last week which you distributed before. Are you in the business again?

Regards.

Louie
RU9
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jjm » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:42 am

bomalabs ba?
jjm

Postby KD » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:35 am

Before bomalabs introduced me to audio, I was using BOSE. What more can I say?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby ihatejazz » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:22 am

KD wrote:Before bomalabs introduced me to audio, I was using BOSE. What more can I say?

You should have stuck it out with the Bose. Natuto ka pa tuloy ng direct to disk, half speed, etc. Pinagastos ka pa tuloy :x
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:12 pm

is Bomalabs Gerry K? Gerry was at the fair and I'm glad to see you well, buddy!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bb3 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:14 pm

i forgot to mention that he was also invited by HP to seacliff. and our friend was able to see the fabled 3 rooms of HP. maliit daw. bedrooms of wooden victorian houses in the east coast. . . but let him be the one to tell you about it nalang.
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:32 pm

ihatejazz wrote:Natuto ka pa tuloy ng direct to disk, half speed, etc. Pinagastos ka pa tuloy :x

You, sir, are directly responsible for that. :lol: Ginawa mo akong piranha!
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby bomalabs » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:36 pm

RU9 I think Chesky has a differnt distributor know. Sadly they are not bringing in the LP's If there is a strong enough demand, I can talk to Chesky about that. ihatejazz, naughty boy that you are please play those Riversides in this lifetime. It's always a pleasure travelling and being with you. You are one of the nicest people I know. Let me salute Francise for this marvelous contribution to Philippine Audio (francis, you now have to think of how to spread this to the provinces. possible because of the Internet) just don't run for Senator in 2010. We need you here. Your son really expanded his dreams. Congrats for all your work.
As I was telling m shoemaker, the new guys/girls should be introduced by exposing them to seminars and more seminars, then after they have "graduated from these seminars tubes101 solid state101 they can be invited to a more broad look at the high end. what we want to avoid is getting people to spend a hugh amount of money and not know what it is they have spent it on. You get my drift. re those dreadful audiophile cd's there is so much great music out there, yet we are somehow boxed in by the westerners proanouncements towards what is a good recording. discexchange, before he was discexchange and the Tuesday Club found lots of music Imported- Tower of Power -"Sparkling in the Sand" Local- "New Minstrels LP - "Buhat" are spectacular audiophile gems. We also discovered Roy Orbison and Julie London on Rhino Records. These are carried by Warner now I think. I'm happy to be here and now that I have been forced out of the closet, will be more than happy to help in any way I can. I have owned three Jadis systems, caused the Audio Research recall of a bad Amplifier, basically fought for the rights of the audiophile. I hope the truth about the PAS and the cause of the Tuesday Clubs departure is stated correctly and honestly or we will go to Boy Abunda and make sumbong. tee hee I',ve had the pleasure of having met many of the bigwigs in the industry and one of the most most memorable times of my life was driving down from Sundance UT to the Wilson residence
in Dave Wilson's F355 at around 120MPH. It being a mountain road, hardly any cops or radar. Dave would sing a crescendo as the Ferrari's engine would roar at 8000-9000 rpm. Beautiful music indeed on the Utah mountain roads. What does that have to do with audio you ask? Nothing, at first glance, but if you hear the engine of the Ferrari and the pitch at a certain rpm, its like an opera singer at a certain point. And Dave found that. What a guy. What a guy. It's plate reads PRANCER. Back to audio, another gentle fellow is AJ van den Hul. He even has his son practicing how to wind cartridges at 8 years of age.
OK before I bore you guys to death, let's talk audio, I think one of the more important aspects that should be taught to the newly born audiophiles (man are we glad you guys are here!) is depth of sound, layering, placement of musicians in their locations by your equipment, height of singer (baka pandak si Julie London),
music coming out of your speakers sa sides. If you are not getting this, then the art of tweaking. we can teach you this. but i strongly suggest to the council of elders, that the new members be given a crash course of hifi101 before tweaking comes in, so that at least they will be aware of what they will actually be doing and more importantly, what their eqiupment will be doing. I also maintain that one can, maybe start with a modest system and slowly update their gears, this is the best way to appreciate what is happening to their eqiupment and appreciate what is going on. Money is not the object, having/owning all the right "audiophile" cd's is not the point. Like I said we can name a lot of cd's (check out HP's recommended CD list) that you will find you personally enjoy (sadly we don't all like the music of the aforesaid "audiophile" cd, but they are not a requirement. Find your own great CD and list it here. Maybe you have a gem of you gem and can share it with us. We don't just follow around here, you know. We lead.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby KD » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:06 pm

There you have it, folks. Post Number 1 from the Main Man.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby dinolara » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:32 pm

Sir,

Pardon my ignorance, are you Mr. Kaimo of PLDT.com? You're also the one hosting the audiophile series at city lights every monday, years ago?

Dino :)
dinolara
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:46 pm

No more BS. :lol: Its now time move-up to the next level and learn from the main-man. :)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby KD » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:47 pm

A salute to dinolara. (bow)

I was waiting for someone to mention the Audiophile Jazz radio show. So you listened, too? Did you not notice they turned off the equalizers?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby zach » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:45 pm

gerry!!!! ayus!!! i havent heard from you in years!!! mabuhay N/A records!
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby qguy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:01 pm

Bomalabs,

How is the correct height of the singer achieved when "most" loudspeakers tweeters/mids are designed to be at the ear level of a seated listener ?

thanks

bomalabs wrote: let's talk audio, I think one of the more important aspects that should be taught to the newly born audiophiles (man are we glad you guys are here!) is depth of sound, layering, placement of musicians in their locations by your equipment, height of singer (baka pandak si Julie London.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:18 pm

Bomalabs,

Thanks for providing us newbies some insights 'bout audio. I would really wish that somebody can explain and demonstrate what you've just said (O ikaw nalang kaya???). Perhaps on the next Audio Show?

Cheers :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby hein » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:18 pm

Hoy Gerry K, hina-hunting ka ni Manny P. Ano ba yan?
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to TUESDAY CLUB