Ask BOMALABS, & get no BS answers (Bomalabs- C'mon down)

Moderator: bb3

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 am

since this thread is "Ask Bomalabs.."

here goes - pareng gerry, what have you been doing lately?

:D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:27 pm

I heard he is spinning the vinyl again. Always a good sign.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby egay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:40 pm

vintage_dog wrote:is Bomalabs Gerry K? Gerry was at the fair and I'm glad to see you well, buddy!

man, i was about to shout 8) the same!!
is he?

well, i agree there seems to be more Chesky CDs now than before, so it must be him :o ... and BTW, i just got me some new ones, too!

Geh, if that's you, i still treasure those Chesky LPs i got from you before you checked-out of notice ... back in '98 was it?

how's pldt.com? :P

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:40 am

vintage_dog wrote:since this thread is "Ask Bomalabs.."

here goes - pareng gerry, what have you been doing lately?

:D

Bomalabs was here (insert Gerry lookalike graffiti here)

Great having you over at the Lair. To think I only found out you were Bomalabs when setup2 told me after you had gone home :shock: :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dante » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:51 pm

Nice meeting you last night, Gerry. Sayang, I didn't know you were THE Gerry K. until just after you left. We could have chatted up a storm about my firm's "encounters" with you over pldt.com. :lol: Cheers, my man! And hope to bump into you again one of these days.
dante
cool dude

good sound

Postby bomalabs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:10 pm

Thanks all for the friendly greetings. i was telling KD last week that I gifted myself with a clearaudio TT, arm and cart. thanks to my old friend george for all the assistance and for giving us a shot at great product. last Christmas and by coincidence, the old gang-The Tuesday Club, has started getting together again, finding both old and new friends. it's amazing how well the Wired State community has kept the Pinoy audiophile in tune with the rest of the world and how well Francis and the rest of the club members are doing attracting more people into the hobby. Getting to hear jack's systems last night reminded me of the early days, when we would squeeze into a couple of cars and "visit" (audition) set-ups.

At any rate, the Tuesday club is planning a series of events for the first half of this year and hope to be able to be of some help to the members of the Pinoy audiophile community by holding various seminars and lectures on the various aspects of our hobby. We hope to be of help to as many as we can. again, thanks Francis for succeeding in getting the Herculean job of getting pinoys together without their having to be in a foreign country. Aww c'mon!! that’s just a joke, guys. Isn't it?

More to come...
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Re: good sound

Postby bb3 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:54 pm

bomalabs wrote:. . . early days, when we would squeeze into a couple of cars and "visit" (audition) set-ups.

like the Voca?

sorry couldn't resist that one. :wink:
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

what are manufacturer's basis for final release of product?

Postby bomalabs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:17 pm

This is in reply to bb3's "Voca" aside. Voca is a local amplifier manufacturer. He asked the Tuesday Club over to his place in Mayon, Q.C. to come over and give his stuff an audition. Inasmuch as the Club was notorious then (as they are now) for trying to hear NO equipment when listening to audio reproduction gear, we felt that anyone brave enough to let this wild bunch of audio fanatics tell him how awful, (or maybe slightly good) his gear was deserved a listen. He had put together a solid state system and that early on wanted to make it in the industry. I have heard that he is still around. That should make for an interesting tale.
Anyway, the point of this all was his presentation. He had a young girl with a karaoke mike singing to minus one songs, to my best recollection. After her performance, Voca equipment went for a go at it. Let's just say that I am amazed that he is still around.

But I credit him for having the guts to have a live singer there and then risking his reputation and business by asking people to compare the quality of the equipment compared to the young girls voice.

You know what? The only other company I have had the luck to have a plant visit were the Wilson's in Utah. Maybe not many people know, but Sheryll Wilson is an opera singer. And also, aside from being involved with the family business, is the final test for the Wilson speaker line. imagine a huge room with a grand piano almost at the end of one quarter of the room. At that time, the huge Grand Slamm speakers were at the other end. You will imagine then a professional pianist accompanying Sheryll Wilson live on several cuts from the better classical performances. After that, a recording also of Sheryll (she has released a few CD's already) on the
same speakers. Simply mind blowing.

Apparently, VOCA was on the right track. Now if only his gear could catch a glimpse of audio nirvana...
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:57 am

Hi Gerry,

Sorry, I likewise didn't know you were bomalabs until reading this thread. Didn't get a chance to say bye to you that night. Hope you had fun. :D
keith
walastick

new buddies

Postby bomalabs » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 pm

hi keith,
my apologies for that evening. had a early gig and did a french exit na lang.
didnt want to make gulo the other guys na. it's really refreshing to meet fellow audiophiles. hope to see you again soon.

gerry
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hein » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:41 am

MR. BOMALABS, if this isn't AUDIO NIRVANA, I don't know what is!!! If I present these guys with 72 virgins, Ill most probably get the same reaction!
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Happy audiophiles

Postby bomalabs » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:52 am

when i first saw the group, i was going to ask what year the wine was, it looked much appreciated.

what actually is the piece of equipment that is the subject of your group picture?
-breathalyzer?
-police scanner for drunk drivers to monitor the roads home?
-the audio answer to the holy grail?

will await your sober reply...
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Happy audiophiles

Postby egay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:37 am

bomalabs wrote:when i first saw the group, i was going to ask what year the wine was, it looked much appreciated.

what actually is the piece of equipment that is the subject of your group picture?
-breathalyzer?
-police scanner for drunk drivers to monitor the roads home?
-the audio answer to the holy grail?

will await your sober reply...

Geh, these guys have never been more sober than this, especially with that "breath analyzer" they're wild about :P

how's it goin' good buddy?
when i saw lots of new cuts from Chesky in the racks of M1, etc.., i had a strange feeling... you know, like when someone gets too close to your ears and whispers something unintelligible but you didn't mind?!

so now you're back :!: and thanks for the opening salvo of the Tuesday Club :idea:; i think this Tube 101 session will be helpful to a lot of WS-guys&gals (&others??) as we are about to learn (or un-learn) things... like fresh air.

Regards, Mr GK!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

hi egay

Postby bomalabs » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:56 pm

Thanks for the support of the Tuesday Club's attempt at helping the community. If this works out, the next one will be bigger and better. Hope to see a lot of you at the Academy on Wednesday.

And keep the photos coming!!

Gerry
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

What LP is on your turntable now?

Postby bomalabs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:35 pm

I am curious to know what today's audiophiles are listening to. Could some guys kindly post five of their favorite albums? I want to see how different it is now from the early days.

C'mon, it does not have to be a rated "audiophile" LP. It's what you listen to. It's what you enjoy. Let us know.

Thanks
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:38 pm

these threads will give you an idea on what folks here are listening to...

What's Spinning (Analog) or

What are you listening (Music) - there are over 3,600 entries here
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

what's spinning

Postby bomalabs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:11 pm

Thanks Francis!
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

what are manufacturer's basis for final release of product?

Postby bomalabs » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:24 pm

This is in reply to bb3's "Voca" aside. Voca is a local amplifier manufacturer. He asked the Tuesday Club over to his place in Mayon, Q.C. to come over and give his stuff an audition. Inasmuch as the Club was notorious then (as they are now) for trying to hear NO equipment when listening to audio reproduction gear, we felt that anyone brave enough to let this wild bunch of audio fanatics tell him how awful, (or maybe slightly good) his gear was deserved a listen. He had put together a solid state system and that early on wanted to make it in the industry. I have heard that he is still around. That should make for an interesting tale.
Anyway, the point of this all was his presentation. He had a young girl with a karaoke mike singing to minus one songs, to my best recollection. After her performance, Voca equipment went for a go at it. Let's just say that I am amazed that he is still around.

But I credit him for having the guts to have a live singer there and then risking his reputation and business by asking people to compare the quality of the equipment compared to the young girls voice.

You know what? The only other company I have had the luck to have a plant visit were the Wilson's in Utah. Maybe not many people know, but Sheryll Wilson is an opera singer. And also, aside from being involved with the family business, is the final test for the Wilson speaker line. imagine a huge room with a grand piano almost at the end of one quarter of the room. At that time, the huge Grand Slamm speakers were at the other end. You will imagine then a professional pianist accompanying Sheryll Wilson live on several cuts from the better classical performances. After that, a recording also of Sheryll (she has released a few CD's already) on the
same speakers. Simply mind blowing.

Apparently, VOCA was on the right track. Now if only his gear could catch a glimpse of audio nirvana...
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:25 am

Strange.

What's with the recycled post above? Is it a technical problem? I knew I'd read it before so I scrolled up and it's the same post word for word as one made Jan.25.
JackD201
Immortal

re-post?

Postby bomalabs » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:58 am

Got an alert notice for your post, Jack, but nothing about the re-posting of the Voca story. Weird.
bomalabs
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to TUESDAY CLUB