Trodt GM-70 "Sikatuna" Monoblock Amplifiers

Moderator: ttommy

Trodt GM-70 "Sikatuna" Monoblock Amplifiers

Postby ttommy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:12 am

Every adventure begins with an expectation, a script, and a commitment as the story writes its own trajectory. Sometimes this arc runs close to script and expectations are satisfied. Other times, the ride spins, bets are doubled-down and expectations are contorted to wherever the ride takes you. This is that type of story.

A few years ago, I met Mang Rod of Trodt Audio. As much as I respect anyone who builds and stands behind their product, with Mang Rod I felt a extra sense of aspiring towards something that I truly admired. In a difficult and fickle audiophile market, it takes a good deal of fortitude to commit to a livelihood as a manufacturer. Think about it. On one end we have mass-market and affordable Asian products, on the other end, we have first-world players with easy access to all types of resources. If the audio industry were a limitless ocean, Trodt Audio, what type of fish are you?

One branch of our story started last June when Patrick (ESaudio) posted about Mang Rod's latest 4-chassis GM70 over at Audiocircle. Watching from the sidelines, the discussion quickly turned to its availability in the US. Even then, I had no plans of stepping in and assuming any responsibility. But another branch of this story was that a couple years earlier, I'd recommended the brand to Ding (dimfer), who eventually imported Trodt's 6C33C-B amplifier into Canada. Knowing Ding had experienced carrier mishandling, I grew increasingly concerned: the Trodt GM-70 was a "first generation" product, what if the importer didn't have the patience to work through early developmental/supply-chain issues?

Eventually we decided to test market just one Trodt GM-70 in the US. Mang Rod started his build, this time combining both power supply and amplification into one chassis so we' only needed to ship two monoblocks; Patrick ran logistics and communications between us both; and I decided that my contribution during this time shall be to build Trodt's website. Fast forward three months to early September, when one refrigerator-sized wooden crate landed in my office.

My main challenge is that I have no plans of becoming an audio dealer! In my day job, I help advice a VC on startup tech investments and, in some cases, build or develop these opportunities myself. Since late last year I'd been planning a project that eventually became Gearsomniac, a site that makes it easy to market something like the Trodt GM-70. While putting up these amps on Audiogon surely generates more eyeballs, I'd also like to test out my other pet project :geek: And hopefully early next year we'll know better about how the market takes to these amps and any product development/supply-chain issues that we'll see about finding a proper distributor.

One of those product issues was developing a faceplate as I wanted the amps to have a distinct look. For the past month and a half, we went through various stages of sourcing, design, mockup, manufacture and assembly and, now, we have the final result. A few days ago, I emailed Patrick asking him to christen it with a Filipino name and he came back with Sikatuna which was perfect!

Without much further ado, fellow Wiredstaters, it is my honor to present the parallel SET Trodt GM-70 Sikatuna amplifiers!

Thank you Mang Rod, Patrick, Ding and rest of Trodt customers and admirers for helping Mang Rod on that road. Wherever he's aspiring to, here's wishing he gets there!

Thanks for reading.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Trodt GM-70 "Sikatuna" Monoblock Amplifiers

Postby randybarba » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:56 am

Wow. World class amps by trodt audio! Congrats to mang rod. Been wanting to try out these gm70 amps for some time now. Must find time to visit mang rod soon. Thanks for sharing Tito :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:33 am

nice to see the Trodt GM70 Sikatuna in the harem of a certified amp whore 8)

I've heard an iteration of that amp during my last visit to Manila, and had been lusting for them since. I am hoping to land them in the Canadian shore before the end of the year.. you did an excellent job on the faceplate - I like the color combination... parang Mustang Laguna Seca..
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 am

Gary Koh of Genesis Technologies often says that to make a small fortune in High-End audio, you have to start with a BIG one.

Mang Rod has a big fortune when it comes to supportive friends and customers :clap: Here's to his and your success guys!!!!!!!!! :rock:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby joejet » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Amazing!! Way to go Trodt Audio!! I hope your creation makes it there where the main players are..

I'm really impressed.
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Chuckyboy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:07 pm

World Class product by a home grown talent - Congrats Mang Rod, this is well deserved.

Thanks to ttommy and Esaudio for championing not just Mang Rod's creations but Pinoy pride as well :clap:
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:12 am

Haha, Ding, true on the certifiable part but if you watched the video through, you can see someone waiting for me to be done so he could take over the harem :D Anyway, thanks guys, and here's hoping we can see other "datus" from MR in the future! :geek:
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am

Someday, someday...

For now, I'll have to be happy with a Class A/B solid state integrated.
rtsyrtsy

Postby ESaudio » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:34 pm

In behalf of Mang Rod, my hats off to Tito and Ding for their unqualified support and to the WS Family where it all started.

Thank guys! 8)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dieya! » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:22 am

:rock: :rock: :rock:
dieya!
Citizen
Citizen

Postby boombastig » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:45 am

Isang masigabong palakpakan sa inyo mga kampon ng Trodt Audio. . . Tito, Ding at Pattorney! We, the certified fanatics of Trodt Audio, thank you for supporting our audio genius and guru. I always knew Mang Rod has the talent to become an "international" artist and craftsman, and efforts such as these definitely expedite that process!

Of course I am proud to have one of them, driving my custom-built speakers which is actually a collaboration of two audio geniuses. . .Anthony and Mang Rod! Hehehe....
boombastig
Citizen
Citizen

Postby georgepogi69 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:37 pm

guys, i posted Mang Rod/ttomy's info on our local hifi forum here in Singapore, http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index ... c=104002.0 , i'm a FAN!!!!... :) :clap: :clap:

hope this helps....
georgepogi69
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 am

Thanks again Trodt owners and fans, and for helping spread the word, George! Btw, in that Singaporean hifi forum, there's a question regarding where MR sources his iron-- if I'm not mistaken he winds his trannies himself!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:43 am

A proud owner of Trodt Gm70 DAGOHOY SET amp

with hardwood frame courtesy of Larry! 8)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:57 pm

hello Rajah Macamay,

is this Dagohoy amp going to a Filipino customer or was this ordered abroad?
thanx!

ESaudio wrote:A proud owner of Trodt Gm70 DAGOHOY SET amp

Image8)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby ESaudio » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Sultan kabubi!

lokal bersyon lang si Dagohoy na kabayan ni Datu Sikatuna! :lol:

kabubi wrote:hello Rajah Macamay,

is this Dagohoy amp going to a Filipino customer or was this ordered abroad?
thanx!

ESaudio wrote:A proud owner of Trodt Gm70 DAGOHOY SET amp

Image8)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:12 am

who is the lucky owner of this amp?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby lovejbl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:39 pm

kabubi wrote:who is the lucky owner of this amp?

sino kaya?
lovejbl
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:22 pm

lovejbl wrote:
kabubi wrote:who is the lucky owner of this amp?

sino kaya?

Truly a privilege to own and enjoy one! :D
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:08 pm

ganda naman nyang GM70 na yan :tmi:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next