Live Music: Rutter's Magnificat & Callas Grand Prix Winners

Moderator: ttommy

Live Music: Rutter's Magnificat & Callas Grand Prix Winners

Postby ttommy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:53 am

Performing to an almost full Carnegie Hall, yesterday, the New England Symphonic Ensemble under Peter Tiboris first featured the winners of the Maria Callas Grand Prix this year. Yun-Jeong Lee (soprano) and Jaesig Lee (tenor) both took center stage and performed popular arias from Donizetti, Mozart, Gounod and Rossini.

Unfortunatley, I wasn't able to take snapshots of both South Korean singers (shown above) partly because picture taking isn't allowed during performances and partly because we were thoroughly captivated, at one point, when Jaesig Lee sang Una Furtiva Lagrima, I *probably* shed a furtive tear ;( although, I was too self conscious and hopefully not noticed by Miss Y's mom and best friend Ludmilla who both were sitting beside me :oops:

Then we had Rutter conducting his piece Magnificat with what was perhaps a 200 man choir and mezzo-soprano Sarah Mattox. Magnificat is one of those pieces-- grand and seasonal, Rutter's intensity even inspiring the only weak musician in the same orchestra-- a lazy percussionist who was always behind the beat under Tiboris, regardless whether it was triangle or snare, he needlessly called attention to himself, I started channeling Hannibal Lecter :lol: But then, all is good, Magnificat allows one to forgive!

I've never sat in this tier before and sonically, the orchestra sounded especially warm. I imagine it was due to the resonating wood floor adding its coloration to the orchestra's direct sound heard from where I sat. It wasn't a bad thing, mind you, sonically we're talking more Sonus Faber than Wilson. But then, who ever listens to an orchestra and starts thinking in stereo terms? Am I really irritated by those guys coughing in the audience? Or is that just my annoyance trying to mask a furtive tear? Guess, we'll never know ;)

Thanks for reading!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Return to ttommy's corner