In search of the perfect yolk (and other experiments)

Moderator: ttommy

Re: In search of the perfect yolk (and other experiments)

Postby dimfer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:05 pm

jadis wrote:
kabubi wrote:
audiostar wrote:Chef na chef ang porma ni Ding :devil: burp...

arsonist kamo :lol:

:D when an alien predator jumps in, ding's flame thrower will be ready to zap them off the planet. :D

ding, great to see your family enjoy the now famous 'nyc hospitality' of tito and yelena.

Ka Buboy - nag-papraktis na, may gusto akong iihaw ng buhay :D

Phil - thanks. my wife surprised me ... she asked " you wanna go to NY?" who am I to say no 8)
Last edited by dimfer on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:19 pm

here, Ttommy is showing his WS disciple how to bite the nipple

the bruscetta... a sure way to wake up your appetite

the wild duck cooked on it's own oil (Tito can explain this better) is crispy and very tasty
from now on, I authorize my father-in-law to shoot the wild ducks that hang around the lake in my backyard :devil:

the master at work... if you will notice, relaks na relaks

showing me how it's done...

ooopps, I burned the stick of the first one

cooked to perfection

and of course, the untold part of every cooking session - cleaning the dishes and everything else

Tito, thanks again for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to be with us.

Ipinasyal ka na, binusog ka pa tapos hatid ka pa ng BMW, perfecto mundo
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Ding, I checked my pictures but we were taking the same shots of you playing with fire, it seemed :$ Anyway, here's one of you and Tonette--

jadis wrote:ding, great to see your family enjoy the now famous 'nyc hospitality' of tito and yelena.

Philip, just paying forward the same hospitality we've enjoyed from fellow WS brothers ;)

rtsyrtsy wrote:Joe's Shanghai! That was part of our restaurant hopping, right? I still remember ttommy's how to eat xiao long bao lesson..."just suck it like you would nippl...e he he he, wholesome nga pala WS. :sweat:

Russ, yes indeed, I don't remember whether we hit Fatty Crab, Joe's Shanghai, New Big Wong's in one night but I do remember having xiao lung bao with you. The technique-- first pickup the dumpling and nestle it in a soup spoon. Then, while watching lovingly, bath it in the accompanying sauce which I think is just a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and ginger. Then top the crown with some chili oil/paste and bite a hole on top, letting some of the chili fall into the crab and pork soup. Higop, ahh. When the soup has been consumed, then gobble the dumpling in one bite.

In hindsight, the several hours we spent together still felt a little short for us. Hopefully we can do this again sometime. Thanks Ding and Tonette for visiting!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Sat May 28, 2011 8:43 am

Fair warning, if you're on a diet, please look away now :geek:

Having the baby has been keeping us from going to the city to get my regular BBQ fix. I'd long wanted to get a smoker but considering NYC safety laws, we can't have charcoal or gas grills/smokers in our apartment balcony. After some research--

The most popular electric smoker on the Smoking Meats forums is the Masterbuilt (MES30). Both the Masterbuilt and the Bradley are similar in construction with the main difference being the Bradley uses its own pucks whereas with MES you can use plain ole wood chips. The biggest failure on MES seems to be the heating element (easily replaced, cheap) whereas with the Bradley, it's the advancing mechanism for the pucks.

In terms of design/build quality, both MES and Bradley are about the same.

On the other hand, the so-called "gold standard" for electric smokers is another brand altogether-- Cookshack. The Smokette would be my pick if it weren't so friggin expensive! Instead, I looked up two "clones"-- Smokin Tex and Smokin-It and have decided on the latter. Here's a spreadsheet showing the differences between similar models from the three brands.

Why I like the Cookshack-style electric smokers--

1. build quality (all stainless steel, and our balcony is open to the elements).
2. KISS design-- heating element under smoke box, can use any wood, no fancy WTF gimmicks e.g. see-through door

We got the Model #1, below, partially hidden from neighbor's views by my tube amp crates :lol:

Before using the smoker with meats, I seasoned it with two blocks of hickory wood. Each block weighs around 2.5oz--

After 3-4 hours, both blocks were reduced to charcoal/ashes--

Next, I chose a rub recipe, I have a few of these but since I like spicy, here goes--

These spareribs I just bought from our local Pathmark, I didn't have high expectations as I'd yet to "learn" this smoker. Rub applied, ribs sat in foil in the fridge overnight.

The next day, after 3.5 hours of smoking using just 1 hickory block we have a nice bark.

A closer look-- as expected, there's no pink smoke ring and while I won't say this is the best rib I've ever had, it surely ranks among the best! Definitely exceeded my expectations. Having tasted a lot of BBQ with that pink smoke ring, I'm not sure if I can taste the difference between an electric, gas or charcoal smoker. But for the convenience, man, an electric is hard to beat!

Can't wait to do brisket! :*
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Sat May 28, 2011 10:55 am

WOW! Congrats Tito! Nakakagutom tuloy!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby keith » Sat May 28, 2011 12:33 pm

thanks for sharing Tito. Time for lunch. :D
keith
walastick

Postby ttommy » Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks, Jen and keith :) Today I did some brisket-

Even got to fake a little bit of pink "smoke ring" by adding a small lump of charcoal beside the wood--

Hill Country in NYC makes two types of brisket, "moist" and "lean." Moist is my favorite and is still better than what I made but if I didn't know and you served me this brisket and told me it was the lean brisket from that restaurant, I'd believe ya!

ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:47 pm

I can't wait to see Pubby chowing down on pulled pork sandwiches! :D :D :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby audiostar » Sun May 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Geez tito, you never fail to whet my appetite :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby darvin2138 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking for this kind of "Racks" Hickory style grilling and you just made my life easy. I don't need to search the net and evaluate all the products available because you prepared everything.... :clap: :clap: :clap: Now, the only problem is shipping here in Manila...kasya kaya sa balikbayan box ang isa? ;) Thanks again Tito.
darvin2138
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 pm

A big boo for lean brisket.

A big hurray for moist!
rtsyrtsy

Postby ttommy » Mon May 30, 2011 3:32 am

Thanks, Jack and Val, but teka teka... a sulsulting opportunity! :devil:

darvin2138 wrote:Thanks for posting this. I'm looking for this kind of "Racks" Hickory style grilling and you just made my life easy. I don't need to search the net and evaluate all the products available because you prepared everything.... :clap: :clap: :clap: Now, the only problem is shipping here in Manila...kasya kaya sa balikbayan box ang isa? ;) Thanks again Tito.

The outside dimensions of the Model #1 are 14.75 x 18.75 x 21.25". Figure in another 2.5" for the styrofoam and cardboard of the original packaging and I think there's a good chance it'll fit a medium sized balikbayan box.

Regarding Racks, I believe they cook ribs by "grilling," i.e. over a direct flame, as opposed to "smoking." In the US South, whenever they say barbeque, they mean, cooking low and slow over indirect heat whereas everywhere else, BBQ usually means grilling. Smokers are also either charcoal-, gas- or electric-based and using our hobby, audio, as an example, one can think of the first two as "analog" and electric as "digital" in the sense that there's more maintenance involved with charcoal and gas smokers but arguably you get better taste. If I lived in a house with a backyard, I definitely would go analog :) But then again, I see the benefits of having electric BBQ even in the midst of our usual winter snowstorms :wasntme:

rtsyrtsy wrote:A big boo for lean brisket.
A big hurray for moist!

Haha, Russ, Hill Country's moist brisket is indeed kick-ass and I'm not sure I can duplicate it exactly with this smoker. But I'll keep trying ;)
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:47 am

Dear Chief Sulsultant,

When do you go for cold smoked vs hot smoked? A friend of mine owns a Deli and he told me if I needed hot smoking puwede akong umangkas, libre pa hehehehe. How's about cold smoking?

SP01 Sulsultant
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ttommy » Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 am

JackD201 wrote:Dear Chief Sulsultant,

When do you go for cold smoked vs hot smoked? A friend of mine owns a Deli and he told me if I needed hot smoking puwede akong umangkas, libre pa hehehehe. How's about cold smoking?

SP01 Sulsultant

Kung SP01 kayo, then Baranggay Tanod lang po ang iyong lingkod :lol: Anyway, according to this good book on Charcuterie, cold smoking is below 100 deg F. So, we have smoked salmon, some sausages... and while electric smokers like the Smokin' It and Smokin' Tex do have a "cold smoke" plate -- basically an insulating shield you put in between the heating element and the food being smoked-- Bradley offers a better approach, via an adaptor between the smoke generator and the box--

ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby darvin2138 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:51 pm

ttommy wrote:Thanks, Jack and Val, but teka teka... a sulsulting opportunity! :devil:

darvin2138 wrote:Thanks for posting this. I'm looking for this kind of "Racks" Hickory style grilling and you just made my life easy. I don't need to search the net and evaluate all the products available because you prepared everything.... :clap: :clap: :clap: Now, the only problem is shipping here in Manila...kasya kaya sa balikbayan box ang isa? ;) Thanks again Tito.

The outside dimensions of the Model #1 are 14.75 x 18.75 x 21.25". Figure in another 2.5" for the styrofoam and cardboard of the original packaging and I think there's a good chance it'll fit a medium sized balikbayan box.

Regarding Racks, I believe they cook ribs by "grilling," i.e. over a direct flame, as opposed to "smoking." In the US South, whenever they say barbeque, they mean, cooking low and slow over indirect heat whereas everywhere else, BBQ usually means grilling. Smokers are also either charcoal-, gas- or electric-based and using our hobby, audio, as an example, one can think of the first two as "analog" and electric as "digital" in the sense that there's more maintenance involved with charcoal and gas smokers but arguably you get better taste. If I lived in a house with a backyard, I definitely would go analog :) But then again, I see the benefits of having electric BBQ even in the midst of our usual winter snowstorms :wasntme:

rtsyrtsy wrote:A big boo for lean brisket.
A big hurray for moist!

Haha, Russ, Hill Country's moist brisket is indeed kick-ass and I'm not sure I can duplicate it exactly with this smoker. But I'll keep trying ;)

That's good it will fit in a BB...Oh 3 sizes pala available na BB? I thought one size lang sila.. :) Now, I need to find Door to Door service in CA or NJ and not in New York...expensive kasi dyan eh.. :)

Thanks for the info about Racks, I thought they using smoke griller for their ribs.......I prefer "digital" because we don't have a backyard and I already using Analog for Audio.. :D
darvin2138
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:42 am

Good luck Darvin, and oh, Russell, I was successful with "moist" this time ;)

The above came from the point/flat I set aside and wet aged for 2 weeks. But I think what did the trick was to cook at a lower temperature, instead of 225 deg F, I did 200 deg and it took ~13 hours.

ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:59 am

Oh what a beautiful morning.

I kissed my girls as they went off for school. I got Twitted that the Mavs were crowned NBA champs (and Herr Dirk's MVP). And now I read a ttommy foodie post.

If only someone up there would cut down the temperature here in Dubai from 40 to 20 degrees Centigrade, then truly as the song goes, "heaven is a place on earth."

13 hours. I can wake up before my pre-dawn bicycle rides and have moist brisket for dinner! I may not have followed your Japanese chef knives lead (OK, I got 1 Global after setup6's endorsement) but this smoker lead may be irresistable. I've only seen charcoal Webbers here though but I must say, I didn't really look hard enough.

How's fatherhood treating you? I hope mom and baby are doing great! I pity all the chefs whose restaurants your kid will eat in. Let's hope they don't have the LeBron James syndromw as response to pressure. :devil:
rtsyrtsy

Postby ttommy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:13 hours. I can wake up before my pre-dawn bicycle rides and have moist brisket for dinner! I may not have followed your Japanese chef knives lead (OK, I got 1 Global after setup6's endorsement) but this smoker lead may be irresistable. I've only seen charcoal Webbers here though but I must say, I didn't really look hard enough.

Considering the learning curve and required hourly tending in the Dubai outdoor heat, I'd recommend an electric smoker instead. One other thing to check is how the meat is cut. For example, I've noticed a nearby halal butcher doesn't follow the standard American 8 primal cuts (scroll down). Likewise, our Chinese grocery's St Louis ribs aren't quite cut right. Just do some homework with your nearby butcher/grocers so you won't be surprised when the time comes.

How's fatherhood treating you? I hope mom and baby are doing great! I pity all the chefs whose restaurants your kid will eat in. Let's hope they don't have the LeBron James syndromw as response to pressure. :devil:

Baby is growing fine, thanks for asking. Soon enough he'll be helping peel potatos from a high chair :lol:
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to ttommy's corner