The Sulsultant Chronicles

Moderator: ttommy

The Sulsultant Chronicles

Postby ttommy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Listening to music aside, the second most joyful indulgence in this hobby for me, after aquiring a new toy, is the simple pleasure of sulsul-ting. Loosely translated, the art of the sulsul combines subtle wheel-goading, oftentimes done online behind the scenes, with well-timed, virtual pokes in that hypersensitive area between the sulsul-tee's ribs and spare tire :)

Over the past couple years, I've done my fair share and aside from one experience where I convinced a buddy to take on a product and fronted the moolah, for the most part, sulsulting is good/clean fun. Manny, Tube Newbie, rtsyrtsy and a few other friends outside this forum have all been subject, one way or another and, despite the usual objections ;), I assure you, dear reader, their eventual happiness is my honest goal.

Today I visited Bob Visintainer of Rhapsody Audio for a "special occasion." An industry veteran, Bob has been the poster boy for Avant Garde and Goldmund for some time that some of my fondest memories, early on in this hobby, were of drooling at that AG Trio/Basshorns ad in Stereophile. The Goldmund copy wasn't too shabby either, although Bob had consolidated gear seen in that ad, sans AG, into his huge (by Manhattan standards) showroom. Having said that, we used these Goldmund amps capable of pushing kilowatts into low ohmage together with an MBL front end.

Bob, if you recall, sold me those RPG Variscreens and the Lipinski L707s and he's made me oh so happy I decided to return the favor :) Since our last meeting, he's also added Avid to his linecard, and here he's cuing an Accutus fitted with the Mofi cart driving a Sim Audio phonostage.

The hookup? Well, that's my bruddah Dan Herrington standing behind Bob and Proclaim is in the house!

While, quite obviously, those Goldmund behemoths loom over the inferno-red DMT-100s, the sharp-eyed might notice other speakers lining the walls: Studio Electric, Lipinski, MBL and (above) Hyperion. Bob's had the Proclaims to audition the whole week so the occasion wasn't a demo but rather a deal. Rhapsody Audio has decided to carry the line...

and budding manufacturer Dan gets a breath of fresh air. Driven by the Goldmund amps in that space, the Proclaims give very little away in terms of soundstage size, width and depth to the goliath pair. In some ways, it seems as if Bob were heading here all along-- the Proclaims combine the shape of Studio Electric, a similar dispersion character as MBL, the impact and projection of that huge Goldmund, with the accuracy of Lipinskis.

To quote a line from that famous movie, I have a good feeling this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Afterwards, Bob, Daniel and I head off to dinner at Righteous Urban Barbeque (RUB), one of my favorite places for sulsul-inspired gorging.

Not to miss talking about food, we had burnt ends, ham, hot links, corn bread and other sides and the talk was pure fun. And before we knew it, the day had turned dark and my sulsulting gig was done. I'm truly happy for both guys, Dan has his foothold in NY, Bob has his killer app.

As for me, it's a longer train ride home now and, in between pages of Bernard Cromwell's The Winter King, I kept thinking, damn, that inferno red looked hot! :lol:

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by ttommy on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Ttommy,

Ni hao from sunny Singapore.

Now it can be said...I listen to your audio sulsulting advice to get to your food recommendations. :D

Audio is a cheap price to pay for the culinary heaven you can take people to!
rtsyrtsy

Re: The Sulsultant Chronicles

Postby dimfer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:11 pm

ttommy wrote:As for me, it's a longer train ride home now and, in between pages of Bernard Cromwell's The Winter King, I kept thinking, damn, that inferno red looked hot! :lol:

Thanks for reading!

yep, that red's hot. is that the room on the fifth picture, the stuff looks familiar, his website ?

pwede bang black yung left channel, red sa right channel ? :oops:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Sulsultant Chronicles

Postby ttommy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:27 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Ni hao from sunny Singapore.

So, did you get to try them toys? ;)

Now it can be said...I listen to your audio sulsulting advice to get to your food recommendations. :D

Hey, we've been to RUB already! :? Next time let's visit Hill Country or that new Ramen joint, Ippudo where they have an exquisite Buta No Kakuni.

Tube Newbie wrote:yep, that red's hot.

Teka teka, ano nga ba 'yung favorite color ni misis? :twisted:

is that the room on the fifth picture, the stuff looks familiar, his website ?

Yup, that's the room--

Puwede siguro kung "His and Hers" 'yan. ;)
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 pm

wow, such an accomplishment for the young DMT-100. Dan should be proud. His speakers look good in front of those Epilogues.

Teka teka, ano nga ba 'yung favorite color ni misis

I've given up audio hobby, I am into ballroom dancing now :oops:

congrats, another feather on your sulsulting cap.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Tito RED is indeed the COLOR!!!!

Ding, anong give up give up? Nakita mo lang pula iwas ka na ;) :lol:

Tito great news about what you did for Dan. We really wanted to pick up PAW but the local amp profile didn't quite click so we went with ASS (damn that doesn't look good :lol: ) . We will gladly put PAW on our client available options list though and we'd be glad to be just one of Dan's agents as opposed to sole distributor. We can't guarantee volume and as such would put him at a disadvantage. Besides the bespoke nature of the product itself lends against keeping inventory (As is the case with our 7s,9s and 11s). We have the same non-exclusive arrangement with some other companies not fully represented here. Do let us know what Dan thinks.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dimfer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Ding, anong give up give up?

wala e, nasutsutan ng asawa.

audio encouraged me to do nothing... I am hoping ballroom dancing will melt away the spare tire.

btw, Tito, how big is this room, approximately.. are the other rooms in the website in the same location? The pictures are awesome.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby keith » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Tommy,

Thank heaven you aren't here as you probably would be my second sulsultant, Jack being sulsultant #1. But all I can say is ...

IT'S ALL GOOD!!! :twisted:
keith
walastick

Postby ttommy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 am

Thank heaven you aren't here as you probably would be my second sulsultant, Jack being sulsultant #1.

Keith, actually sulsultant ka rin sa'kin without knowing it :lol: I showed pictures of The Secret Lair to miss Y and she was very impressed saying-- "see, it's possible to have a beautiful looking home with a stereo but without the clutter..." sabay turo sa CD player on the floor. Nakonsyensya tuloy ako, and figured out how to work the loaner Naim CD5i into the rack :lol:

I've given up audio hobby, I am into ballroom dancing now :oops:

Aba, then bagay sa ballroom dancing ang ball-type speakers ;)

Tito RED is indeed the COLOR!!!!

Yeah, pero kay Ding na 'yan. Bagay sa 'yo, puti :lol:

Tito great news about what you did for Dan. We really wanted to pick up PAW but the local amp profile didn't quite click so we went with ASS (damn that doesn't look good :lol: ).

PAWing ASS? Sounds bastos nga :lol: Before CES Dan was using Gamut and he thought the Carys at the show were better. Then he heard them with the Goldmunds and swung back to thinking solid-state might be the way to go. Pero uunahan na kita, 'ala pang $ para sa 1.2Ref or 2.2 :evil: In all honesty, I can't think of anything better to use.

We will gladly put PAW on our client available options list though and we'd be glad to be just one of Dan's agents as opposed to sole distributor. We can't guarantee volume and as such would put him at a disadvantage. Besides the bespoke nature of the product itself lends against keeping inventory (As is the case with our 7s,9s and 11s). We have the same non-exclusive arrangement with some other companies not fully represented here. Do let us know what Dan thinks.

I'll speak to him about it but if I'm not mistaken he'll require a demo unit. That said, there's something in the works as he's ramped up his manufacturing and can now produce 2 pairs a week (as opposed to mine, which took ~6 weeks).
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:47 pm

ttommy wrote:Keith, actually sulsultant ka rin sa'kin without knowing it :lol: I showed pictures of The Secret Lair to miss Y and she was very impressed saying-- "see, it's possible to have a beautiful looking home with a stereo but without the clutter..." sabay turo sa CD player on the floor. Nakonsyensya tuloy ako, and figured out how to work the loaner Naim CD5i into the rack :lol:

Tito,

That's funny. Pictures of your system always look neat. Btw, thank you miss Y for the compliment. 8) However, let it be known that it is the wifey who always keeps me in check. That's why Jack still can't "sulsult" (ok ba? hindi pa rin OT) me into getting a turntable. :lol: I'm telling you Jack, work on my better half. :roll:
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:21 pm

tito sabihin mo kay JC kailangan na baguhin website ng HWS. Ayan 50% off na kaagad sa 2.2 :lol:

Keith, takot ako baka sauli kandila :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby keith » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 pm

JackD201 wrote:tito sabihin mo kay JC kailangan na baguhin website ng HWS. Ayan 50% off na kaagad sa 2.2 :lol:

Keith, takot ako baka sauli kandila :lol:

bwahahaha

... is Sepang on?
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:54 pm

High Noon Tom :shock:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ttommy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:21 am

JackD201 wrote:tito sabihin mo kay JC kailangan na baguhin website ng HWS. Ayan 50% off na kaagad sa 2.2 :lol:

That previous deal came with free 1 year maintenance/support. So 50% off the 2.2 would mean indentured servitude! :lol:
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:14 am

Rhapsody Audio hosted a "preview" NY Audiocircle "rave" today and a few of my buddies came-- Martin, Chris, Shek (L-R) and Budy (standing). We'll have a bigger event this June, hopefully with 20+ attendees.

Missed a picture of the sources last time--

Joey also showed up, and I told Bob if it weren't for him, I would've missed Proclaim's room at the HE2007 show (and Bob probably woud've missed taking them on). Bob said, "yeah, I was there, didn't see the room too!" Props, sir Joey!

Despite the guys blasting away in the showroom, here's Gio having his own fun and wouldn't let go the violin. I also handed him an acoustic guitar but he didn't take to it as much as the violin :) Joey, maybe you could bring him to meet setup1 when you go to PA, baka ma-inspire!

Then tonight I got a call from Chester, he's already in town! :)
Last edited by ttommy on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Sat May 31, 2008 10:46 am

Sulsultant gets a Gig

Sorry folks, I had to pull this article on request.
Last edited by ttommy on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat May 31, 2008 11:47 am

How about I send Miss Y stunning photos of Dubai so you scoot over here and tweak my system? :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby dimfer » Sat May 31, 2008 1:12 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:How about I send Miss Y stunning photos of Dubai so you scoot over here and tweak my system? :D

ahem, ahem.. masyado kayong masekreto. Is that the ticket to get Tito to pay you a visit, an awesome turntable?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat May 31, 2008 8:39 pm

Tube Newbie wrote:ahem, ahem.. masyado kayong masekreto. Is that the ticket to get Tito to pay you a visit, an awesome turntable?

Nah, the secret to getting Tito over is getting Miss Y over. :D

A few servings of butter prawn masala with garlic naan, kofta kebab, and aromatic biryanis would certainly help!
rtsyrtsy

Postby ttommy » Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Tube Newbie wrote:ahem, ahem.. masyado kayong masekreto. Is that the ticket to get Tito to pay you a visit, an awesome turntable?

This year I've been fortunate enough to play around with a few good decks-- Amazon Model Two with a Moerch DP-6, diagnosing a Benz; setting up and swapping Shelter 9000 and Harmony carts on a Vyger Baltic and Simon Yorke S-9; diagnosing Bob's Avid Acutus Reference fitted with a Mofi, then a Zyx Uni; then, finally, * above. Hmm, ano pa kaya'ng puwedeng tirahin? :roll:

Nah, the secret to getting Tito over is getting Miss Y over. :D

Oh, she'd like it, especially if you could package in a job offer at that Biotech venture you've mentioned :lol:

A few servings of butter prawn masala with garlic naan, kofta kebab, and aromatic biryanis would certainly help!

May laban ba kay Hossein? :P Otherwise, uwi na lang ako sa Pinas.
Last edited by ttommy on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to ttommy's corner