The Sulsultant Chronicles

Moderator: ttommy

Re: The Sulsultant Chronicles

Postby ttommy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:55 am

Dalawa ang gamit ko ngayon, Kit, Koetsu Rosewood Silver Platinum tsaka Zyx Universe. Salamat!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Tito. Great post.

Miss Y, that pork dish looks oh so scrumptuous. :clap: Good luck on the lessons. Does this mean you guys will soon be getting a Steinway soon. :devil:

Tito, what bookshelves are these?
keith
walastick

Postby JackD201 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:57 pm

May parating tayo ng ilang pares niyan di mo mamukaan? :D :D :D :D :D Then again......yeah idol, were those Standards, Signatures or Statements? Just curious.

Idol, is the Buta a slow braised dish? I've never tried it before. Hmmmm. I've never met a liempo I didn't like though :devil: In fact I've been dreaming of trying Salo since I read about it in one of the earlier Clancy novels. ' Wonder if there is a Belarus equivalent.

Happy Holidays to you and Ms. Y! Keep each other warm and toasty bro! :) :) :) :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:20 pm

JackD201 wrote:Idol, is the Buta a slow braised dish? I've never tried it before.

Is Shinjuku still around in Makati Ave and West Ave? If yes, they served my fave butakakuni in Manila. Had a few in Tokyo and Shinjuku's is competitive!

Tito,

Thanks for another addition to the cheap audiophile activities to get us through recession. Re-arranging the rig...takes time and effort but may provide infinite return given the zero investment.

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Postby KD » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Yes, Russ, Shinjuku (Makati Avenue) is still around. Butakakuni is as good as ever.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Keith, I have bad news for you... Jack's eyes are better! :D As for the Steinway, it'll have to wait unless I want to make room by selling the stereo ;(

Those are indeed LSAs although I didn't get to ask which model. While we did get to chit chat, the focus was on the table and how to take (better) care of it. Besides the room being too dark that I didn't get to visually scrutinize the rest of the gear, my client was a bit too excited and after the job was done, I felt that vibe that goes... shoo :x

Jack, salo is just meh, not as flavorful as the slow-braised buta kakuni. I suggest you check out Russell's suggestion, Shinjuku, if it's still open, serves a great butakakuni ramen. And Russ, yeah, this was the best upgrade in terms of cost ;) Thanks, guys, here's to a low calorie Christmas season! oops, puwede ba 'yon? :$
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:02 pm

ttommy wrote:And Russ, yeah, this was the best upgrade in terms of cost ;) Thanks, guys, here's to a low calorie Christmas season! oops, puwede ba 'yon? :$

Possible if you add one word: low net calories. My heart, lungs, and legs are good enough for back-to-back spinning classes now. Coupled with half an hour on some weights, that's a 2,000 calorie workout if my heart rate monitor is correct.

It's the healthiest appetizer ever. :D

KD, next time you're having butakakuni, take an extra order and eat for me. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby keith » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:09 am

ttommy wrote:Keith, I have bad news for you... Jack's eyes are better! :D As for the Steinway, it'll have to wait unless I want to make room by selling the stereo ;(

Tito, that's why I wear glasses. :D

Jack, Shinjuku tayo when you get back. ;)
keith
walastick

Postby dimfer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:55 am

Tony came down to the basement as I was browsing this thread last night, first thing she noticed were the red DMT 100's, "cute" daw. Then scrolling further, she noticed the "alikabok" on Mr D's place. aw.

Your new setup looks really good :rock:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 am

Keith and Jack, don't forget to order their gyoza as well ;)

dimfer wrote:Tony came down to the basement as I was browsing this thread last night, first thing she noticed were the red DMT 100's, "cute" daw. Then scrolling further, she noticed the "alikabok" on Mr D's place. aw.
Your new setup looks really good :rock:

Thanks, Ding, well Bob's selling the red demo model :geek: I'm sure I can get it for you at cost. Si Tonette di ba mahilig sa pula?
And while Mr D's place was really dark the stereo did look a bit neglected.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:09 am

I was talking to Clark Hertz (Stereo Mojo Canada) just before I left the shop this afternoon, he said he is also a fan of DMT 100's. He said he is seriously considering buying a pair, he heard them in one of the shows earlier this year and he really liked their sound. He mentioned about a pair being sold at Agon, which is Bob's pair
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 am

Visited Bob at Rhapsody Audio today to hear his latest toy, the Audio Machina Maestro speakers. The build quality on these speakers are superb-- precision machined aluminum that easily rivals that of that brand that proclaims itself the Best on Earth, period, at around the $50K ballpark. Sonically, there was little to no fault, the Maestros and Proclaim's DMT-100 belong to the same neutral/resolving camp and upon first listen it's hard to tell which one's playing.

A more direct comparison-- the AM's bass sounds more controlled and damped, the mids a little on the cooler side compared to Proclaim. In terms of frequency response alone, it's a toss up between both speakers. Considering Proclaim had raised their prices, I'd say the Maestros have stiff competition in this showroom, not that I'm unbiased, but I still prefer the DMTs because they disappear better and sound more musical. Where the AM would win out is if I had a smaller apartment and need to place the speaker snug to the front wall. It would be interesting to hear AM's other speaker-- the "Pure".

Latest on the audio end at home was a bit of spring cleaning... moved the rack over to the left of the room so there's less visible wire clutter. Otherwise, no upgrades! :D

ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Sulsultant Major,

Have you tried experimenting on line conditioning and power cords for your massage chair? :D The system looks great as usual bro! I didn't get to hear the AMs at CES. I'll check them out next year.

By the way, as a frustrated chef I've been silently following your quest for the ultimate knife. ;) ;) ;)

Sulsultant Minor
JackD201
Immortal

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed May 27, 2009 2:50 pm

JackD201 wrote:Have you tried experimenting on line conditioning and power cords for your massage chair? :D

I volunteer to be the Vibration Control device for that massage chair. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby JackD201 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Puwede! Pero dapat "Pagode" na "Pagode" ka :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Jon Agner » Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Hmmmm..... how would a power cord and vibration control device affect the operation of that massage chair? :?: :?: :?: will the cycle be more precise and that the pressure points will be in the right spot? :?: :?: :?:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby keith » Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Hmmmm..... how would a power cord and vibration control device affect the operation of that massage chair? :?: :?: :?: will the cycle be more precise and that the pressure points will be in the right spot? :?: :?: :?:

Maybe less noise and hum during massage? :?:
keith
walastick

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Hmmmm..... how would a power cord and vibration control device affect the operation of that massage chair? :?: :?: :?:

The review would read "it was like a layer of dead skin was taken off between my back and the masseuse's hands."
rtsyrtsy

Postby ttommy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 pm

JackD201 wrote:Puwede! Pero dapat "Pagode" na "Pagode" ka :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

good one :D

Have you tried experimenting on line conditioning and power cords for your massage chair? :D

No but I did try a Zu power cord on our immersion circulator :lol: as I needed a short power cord. Also, inspired by setup6's friend "Max", we went for an "open kitchen" look ;) I'm loving this makeover!

If you watch the video, you'll see the Zu PC sticking out on the back of the circulator and attached to the Wiremold power strip... which it blew up! Then, you'll see the PC changed to a regular Volex which I ran to a different outlet. As it turned out, the live/hot connector between the incoming cable and the power receptacles inside the Wiremold was arcing and burned out. Wasn't the Zu's fault after all :)

By the way, as a frustrated chef I've been silently following your quest for the ultimate knife. ;) ;) ;)

There isn't an ultimate knife... although for you I can recommend a few mizu-honyakis ;) There are great ones though. The trick is to have representatives from the top manufacturers-- Nenohi, Suisin, Masamoto, Sakai Takayuki, Konosuke, Aritsugu, etc. I have another one upcoming that'll be kept unused :$

Btw, forgot to show this--- hanged out at the Morrison Hotel gallery with Bob and his buddy Rick Edwards. Bob had a guy come over to audition the purple Proclaims (he ended up deciding to buy them). Got invited to that exhibit/show featuring My Morning Jacket but miss Y came down sick. Cool place, nice folks. Although I was mistaken in the video when I said those photographs by Ed Kramer were shot there.

ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 pm

We had Chester over for dinner today! He's been to our apartment before and we'd had good audio fun then but, this time, instead of 80% listening and 20% eating, we switched it around. Chester is a world-class gourmand, having shot and published cookbooks as well as the who's who of the culinary world. For our efforts, miss Y and I decided to tag team, as we planned a main course we hadn't executed before.

Before Chester arrived, I started the second rising of my artisan bread and timed it in the oven. Also made the master dough for the our cuttlefish-ink infused semolina fettucini. First thing we did, knowing Ches was hungry, was appetizers-- the loaf I just baked, with an olive oil/balsamic dip along with some Spanish chorizos. In the background below, you'll see the black fettucini that miss Y had just cut and was drying. What you won't see is when I lifted the chopping board to put it back into the kitchen, I neglected to remove the knife first so it jumped and cut me deeply on the base of my thumb. Rule number 1 with knives-- no idiots allowed :lol: But to be fair, I've been sharpening with my waterstones a lot recently and never been cut. Running a kitchen and hosting, however, is another story... too many things going on.

Here's a closer look at the bread or at least it's stunt double, since I didn't take a picture of the actual one we ate :lol:

While we were cooking, Ches did a bit of listening. We only listened to LPs-- Sonny Rollins, Hilton Ruiz, John Scofield, Ana Caram, Strunz and Farah... in hindsight, no classical, hmm.

In the kitchen our tag team duties were skewed heavily towards miss Y. My only responsibility was the duck breast sous-vide whereas she had to make the sauce which she did by first rendering fat from another duck breast, along with garlic, onions, tomatoes, some arrabiata sauce and a teaspoon of the cuttlefish ink, then cooked a small piece of foie gras for our main course-- 2 ways duck breast (sous-vide/torch seared vs baked/pan-seared) over foie-gras and homemade nero de sepia fettucini.

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words :)

During the meal we had switched to CD, Chester digging the Waterlily recording of Bela Fleck, VM Bhatt and Jie Bing Chen (Tabula Rasa), followed by Erkan Ogur's Hic. The highlight for our guest, below, was miss Y's durian gelato dessert. Unlike the pasta where Ches went back for seconds and thirds, with this ice cream, he went back for maybe fifths and sixths. :clap:

Before he left, we made Chester "pabaon," another batch of the same pasta (he says) he'll share with his brother :lol: All-in-all, a fun-filled, super enjoyable (at one point even action-filled bloody :lol:) dinner with one of my best Wiredstate friends.

Thanks for reading!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to ttommy's corner