The Sulsultant Chronicles

Moderator: ttommy

Re: The Sulsultant Chronicles

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:06 pm

What's an esmi?

27cm lang pala yung gyuto. Eh pinagbawal na nga yung mga Japanese swordsmiths to make samurais papagawa pa ako ng 270cm!

Ding,

Oo nga tama ka sa flatlands. Look at these:

Northern Manitoba:

Pero OK lang, heto ang sasakyan namin:

Miss Y will drive. Magkakalong kami ni Tito. :puke:

I laughed so loud with your mancanilla that 4 of my officemates came to my room asking what I was up to. :clap:
rtsyrtsy

Postby dimfer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 pm

I laughed so loud with your mancanilla that 4 of my officemates came to my room asking what I was up to

we even tried curing my pain due to blocked kidney with it, unfortunately it's powers also has a limitation.

saan ako sasakay dyan sa kotse mo, I hope the trunk is big enough
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:40 am

For most of the past two months, this is how I spent my summer vacation--

My younger sister in Texas came down with pneumonia and became septic. Emma was in critical condition and spent 16 days on a respirator. My elder sister Rose flew in from Vancouver, Washington, whereas Miss Y and I flew in from New York. We three practically lived in the ICU of Cyfair Medical Center in Houston throughout this ordeal. But let me say right now that everything ended well. Emma is well on her way to full recovery and has relocated to live with Rose in Oregon. I'm considering moving there as well, perhaps in a few years.

Back to our adventure, through the good graces of friends in Houston, we were lent a house that was on the market and unoccupied. Given a lack of things to do while waiting for Emma to recover, we turned to food-- cooking and eating.

Besides, when you find yourself in a new house, try out the kitchen first ;) Notwithstanding the swimming pool downstairs and a pool table upstairs, it's the dual GE oven that I was curious about. Sure, this foccacia master I'm making isn't legit because it's not using "biga" but what the heck, this is the hacked version.

This being Texas after all, we had to check out the BBQ joints. Initially, we met with failure and discovered an irony-- Pho that's better than what we have in New York whereas BBQ in New York that's better than Houston! My favorite RUB sets the gold standard for burnt ends (of brisket) and it took some time to find a BBQ joint that's as good. Below we have Harris County Smokehouse for some ribs, chicken, brisket, sausage plus a few sides... and all but the sausage taste inferior to RUBs offerings.

Since we were in "gun country," I couldn't help but visit the Shiloh Shooting Range to check out a Nighthawk 1911. I'd owned one of the first Les Baer's back home and had read that Heinie's Nighthawk was approaching it in quality. Unfortunately, when we got there I had a monster migraine perhaps due to fatigue/lack of sleep that I didn't get to do much except take a couple pictures.

Sorry, forgot to tell Miss Y about Cooper's #1 before taking this shot--

But I absolutely enjoyed the quality of this gun. If I lived in Texas, I probably would trade in one cartridge for one of these new T3s ;) In comparison, my old LB Premier II, was the best 1911 I've ever held but I haven't owned as much as some collectors I know. I've tried Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Wilson, STI and LB's tolerances/machining are arguably the best in the industry, certainly much higher some of the marquee brands at the time (over 10 years ago). Unlike most large volume manufacturers who cast, and some who mill then forge/heat treat, IIRC, LB heat heat treats then mills. Tuned it was expected to get 2" groups from 50 yards, on a bench, although I've never gone better than 5" at 25 yards :lol:. I tried to acquire the HRT but supposedly they sold it to law enforcement only although back home there certainly are workarounds.

Like my LB, this Nighthawk was also a Series 70, so has the best trigger action, imo, with almost no creep. Back home, the only reason I didn't really get as confident on my LB compared to my Para P12 was that on the range, using reloads, once in a while it'd smokestack. BUT this only happened with the cheap reloads never with standard ammo. That said, I couldn't practice with expensive hydrashocks, lol, so eventually I lost confidence with the Premier and preferred the Para P12, which ate anything.

Our luck with BBQ finally started to change when we discovered Carls--

For most of these establishments, the drill is similar-- you choose the number of meats to go on your plate for a fixed price, choose the sides, and you're good to go.

Carl's had the best BBQ chicken and hot links of all the joints we tried... and we tried a few ;) In fact, throughout these pictures you'll also see how I slowly gained 10 pounds, half of which I've already lost since coming back to NY :lol:

If we were too tired to cook, this was our staple-- Carl's BBQ chicken and hot links.

We even had those links for breakfast, along my Thai fried rice.

Also made some pork and chive dumplings--

Which turned out pretty well--

Also found some Filipino food from a local restaurant--

But, arguably, the best dish we found (aside from the steaks at Texas Roadhouse) is this curried catfish on a bed of taro leaves. Think curry + catfish + "laing"--

Before we knew it, Emma was ready for a change of scenery--

Hello Vancouver! Rose's neighborhood is very picturesque, certainly more colorful than Brooklyn.

A nice front- and back-yard is something folks outside NY for granted. Besides, as I grow older, the hustle bustle in the big city often gets tiring.

Add the fact that it doesn't get colder here compared to NY and I must say the idea of relocating is very tempting.

One downside, if it ain't your thing, is the rainy weather. Here we're going for breakfast--

What impressed me most in the Vancouver/Oregon area is the quality of produce. Veggies taste like they came straight from the earth to your plate. And I'm not a veggie guy! Seafood is quite good too.

If we do move, I probably would consider Portland first, still want to be in the city. Portland does have a nice feel, kinda like a laid back San Francisco. Dunno, will revisit this subject in a year or so.

In the meantime, check out how my chin had folded unto itself during my stay :lol: All's well that ends with good food, right?

Finally, Emma out of danger and I'm ready to return to NY.

Last night, we had a guest, Chester, second time this year--

Ches had mentioned a desire for prime rib a while ago so he got his wish-- a 4.6 lb standing rib roast which we demolished.

This being an audio forum after all-- we also did some listening. Note that I had moved the rack back to the center since I hardly sit in that nearfield spot anymore. Same old, no upgrades, just music ;)

Thanks for reading!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:43 am

Nice story Sir Ttommy! Pero nakakagutom(buti ka pa). Parang food channel! :) Avant garde speakers ba yung nasa last pic? Nakakatulo laway, same as the prime ribs you've posted ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bogart » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:25 am

Tito, good to hear that your sister is now feeling much better!!! :) :) :)
Bogart
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks Eps, much appreciated. And endrik35, those speakers are made by Proclaim Audio, lesser known but hadn't made me think of upgrading, which is good ;) Then again, I'd been listening much more casually recently, when we were in Houston, the house we lived in didn't have cable TV and our only source of musical entertainment was this lowly all-in-one RCA radio.

Truth be told, despite its 1.5" single driver, haha, I enjoyed listening to music as much as any system--

Two musical discoveries during the time, heard John Adams' piece -- Gnarly Buttons performed by the Cincinnati Orchestra on NPR and it blew me away. If there was a soundtrack to our experience, that piece was it. Then, there's my good friend Cecile Tamura's son, Cy, whom I'm proud to have helped mentor growing up, who sent me this piece-- Wall of Water, which he composed/performed/recorded almost single-handedly. Amazing kid, Cy. I'm quite sure he'll get somewhere with either his music, or his main course (Physics!) someday.

Admittedly, after the drought of not having listened to my stereo over a month, I'm starting to get feelings of audio gear lust again :$ .... but eh, it'll pass. System matches my listening mode now, pang background music lang habang nagluluto :geek:
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 pm

more than the food (and the guns), news of your sister getting better is the piece-de-resistance of your latest story :) :) :)
as always, it is nice to hear from you, Tito.

PS. Chester looks good. perhaps he has lost weight in the right places. or is it the glasses?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby pigdog » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:06 pm

I am as always grateful for Tito and Miss Y's hospitality! that Prime rib is surely to die for! and tito is becoming a force majeur in cooking! a wonderful evening indeed Tito! should you and miss y find yourself in my neck of the woods then surely we will have a feast Hong kong style!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby troporobo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm a Portland native - thanks for the photos of my former habitat! It is a great city, with all the compromises in your favor IMNSHO. I'll be going back there (as well as Seattle and Vancouver) for the holidays, first time in over 3 years, and am really looking forward to the seafood and microbrew ales. If you ever decide you want some inside advice, get in touch.
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 am

Thanks, kuya buboy, Chester did lose some weight in the right places :)
Ches, we'll definitely take you up on that if we get a chance to visit HK.
troporobo, thanks for the offer, I'll get in touch should we decide to move ;)
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:16 pm

It's been almost a year since Chester visited, but tonight I had the pleasure of having dinner with him at Purple Yam in Brooklyn.

We got special attention from the owners, Amy Besa and Chef Romy Dorotan, whose cookbook I'll keep promoting :)

Anyhoo, Ches and I had Amy's spring roll and a sublime edamame and tofu dumpling for starters, squid stuffed with ifugao black rice and a memorable lamb curry for entrees, and finishing up with figs and jackfruit ice cream and kalamansi merangue. Amy and Chester have scheduled another get together next week, where Amy invited another chef friend, Grace Young (Breath of a Wok) who might use Chester to do research about the cuisine of the Chinese diaspora.

It was a pleasure dining with Chester again... come to think of it, everytime we meet, it revolves around food! Ches, in our past lives we must've been restauranteur-partners :lol: Finally, congrats on staying trim, I hope tonights dinner wasn't too damaging for your diet ;)
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Congrats Ches! Welcome back, Tito! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby dante » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Your chronicles are always a good read, Tito. I'm glad your sister bounced back from her recent illness quickly enough for you to still enjoy the sights and flavors of Texas and Oregon.

Please give my regards to Miss Y. Her admirer in molecular bio, my daughter, decided to go to med school, so there won't be any lab work in her immediate future for now.

Cheers!
dante
cool dude

Postby ttommy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks, Jen and Dante. And Dante, congrats on your daughter pursuing a medical degree!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:36 pm

wow, looking slim si Chester ah!
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to ttommy's corner