whats a good ipod headphone?

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Re: whats a good ipod headphone?

Postby z50j » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:00 pm

a good pair of iPod headphones are the Senn PX100
a great pair of iPod headphones are the PortaPro
the perfect pair of iPod headphones are the iGrados

all portable, less than 3k and foldable(except the iGrados)
z50j

Postby dogears » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:09 pm

welcome to WS zj05, please post your gear|setup here . Thanks!
dogears
Master
Master

Postby bass_nut » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:51 am

when mobile (casual walk, not jogging) i am leaning more on a recent discovery

KOSS KSC75 + FiiO E3 + iPod 120Gb classic inside a smallish belt bag
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby AlecX5 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:12 am

reorx wrote:Ive seen UE superfi 3 and super fi 5 in Powermac Greenbelt...pero sobra taga..i think the superfi5 was priced at 14k :fubar: . In Powermac Greenbelt, I also saw etymotic er6i for sale pero matagal na, more than a year ago. Pero these were at least a year ago, so i think they didnt replenish stocks of ety and UE...just Shure, Bose and Skullcandies :x

Come to think of it, Shure is available in a lot of stores, but i rarely see Etymotic and UE offerings in local stores.
Yeah. I noticed that, too. Shure seems to be more available than UE locally, which got me curious. I got to sample both, and personally, the UE (Triple.fi 10, to be precise) could've gone with a design that doesn't stick out of the ears too much, but I think the color is really catchy. Maybe it's trying to maximize visibility? I dunno. Funny thing is, Shure (SE530, to make a fair comparison) went the opposite direction with a design and color that's understated. I seriously dig the shape, though. :rock: I'm not sure (no pun intended) if there's a connection, but both earsets seem to clue us in on what they have in store aurally. UE is audacious with its sound quality as it is visually gaudy, while Shure puts emphasis in moderation, even in the audio spectrum. I guess people weren't ready for UE at the time, so they went with something less futuristic(?) Just my observation, so it doesn't really count. :rofl:
Last edited by AlecX5 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlecX5
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AlecX5 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:35 am

The Bose TriPort In-Ear Headphones were really nice in the beginning, until they started to slip off repeatedly and irritate the skin on my ears. It was the first time I got to use silicone buds that resembled some sort of prosthetic device. Cool shape, but then again, it didn't do much for fit. Speaking of fit, noise kept leaking into my music, so it wasn't meant to isolate sound. Should've paid more attention to the ads. :lol: Okay, so maybe I was a bit too hard on Bose. It really has good sound quality if you ever manage to have a little peace & quiet. Love the base, too. :rock:
AlecX5
Citizen
Citizen

Postby bono vox » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 am

bro, i want you to try the new bose qc15, for me, it's perfect for ipod.
bono vox
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Vinylhead » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm

i swear by my koss porta pros. the best bang for the buck headphones, period. the fact that these cans have remained the same after 25 years is testament to the superior sound quality and styling that people have loved about the porta pro. I could listen to my ipod for hours. di nakakapagod and comfortable to the ears. downside lang is because of its open speaker design, the sound leaking out may bother the person near you.
Vinylhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 pm

The Apple headphones that come with the ipod work best for me. Sound quality is good and I can still hear ambient noise.
dante
cool dude

Postby keith » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Etymotic HF-3 - so far the best in ear I've owned.
keith
walastick

Postby arnoldc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Like full sized-speakers, it depends on how you "wear" it. The JVC FX-33 "Marshmallows" is unbeatable in value for money, but if you have more money to spend, the Crossroads Woody 1 is another great option.

I take it that you mean in-ear monitors.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby AlecX5 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:27 pm

AlecX5 wrote:
reorx wrote:Ive seen UE superfi 3 and super fi 5 in Powermac Greenbelt...pero sobra taga..i think the superfi5 was priced at 14k :fubar: . In Powermac Greenbelt, I also saw etymotic er6i for sale pero matagal na, more than a year ago. Pero these were at least a year ago, so i think they didnt replenish stocks of ety and UE...just Shure, Bose and Skullcandies :x

Come to think of it, Shure is available in a lot of stores, but i rarely see Etymotic and UE offerings in local stores.
Yeah. I noticed that, too. Shure seems to be more available than UE locally, which got me curious. I got to sample both, and personally, the UE (Triple.fi 10, to be precise) could've gone with a design that doesn't stick out of the ears too much, but I think the color is really catchy. Maybe it's trying to maximize visibility? I dunno. Funny thing is, Shure (SE530, to make a fair comparison) went the opposite direction with a design and color that's understated. I seriously dig the shape, though. :rock: I'm not sure (no pun intended) if there's a connection, but both earsets seem to clue us in on what they have in store aurally. UE is audacious with its sound quality as it is visually gaudy, while Shure puts emphasis in moderation, even in the audio spectrum. I guess people weren't ready for UE at the time, so they went with something less futuristic(?) Just my observation, so it doesn't really count. :rofl:

Boy, was I wrong on this one. :geek: I'm not as updated as I thought I was. :lol: Nowadays, the UEs are more visible in The Power Mac Store than the Shures. :emo:
AlecX5
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vynilmaster » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:11 am

Im not trying to be smart but have you tried using a DAC from your ipod to your amp? you'll be amazed. :)
vynilmaster
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stingRAY » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:41 pm

z50j wrote:a good pair of iPod headphones are the Senn PX100
a great pair of iPod headphones are the PortaPro
the perfect pair of iPod headphones are the iGrados

all portable, less than 3k and foldable(except the iGrados)

hi guys, bit new here.. i've been lurking for days looking for the best headphones that I could use for my ipod. i'd really want to try out the grado's. iGrado's are similar to sr60's from what i've read but sr80's are better from sr60's though from what i've read. would you recommend the sr80's for ipods? :^)
stingRAY

Postby arnoldc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 pm

You should learn to take posted opinions to be subjective. 'di porke may nag post ng preference nya it will work for you. Like I never liked the first two.

Driving the SR60/SR80 amp-less will work if you listen at low volumes. I owned the SR80i before.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby stingRAY » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:44 pm

arnoldc wrote:You should learn to take posted opinions to be subjective. 'di porke may nag post ng preference nya it will work for you. Like I never liked the first two.

Driving the SR60/SR80 amp-less will work if you listen at low volumes. I owned the SR80i before.

hi arnold! thanks! i agree.. i wanna audition them myself and see what will suit me. for now, since i dont have the time yet i just wanna read and read how people find these headphones.. how did you find your sr80i?
stingRAY

Postby arnoldc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Great! Audition is the key. My then SR80i was driven by an AMB Labs Mini³ and inspite of that still did not offer soundstaging, nor depth. I did post a 'rolling review' of that as I was breaking it in in the old headphiles forum, but the forum is now dead and there's a new one. It is good for rock, has the typical in-your-face midrange, but the i is a bit more refined. I hate the cord.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby stingRAY » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:21 pm

arnoldc wrote:Great! Audition is the key. My then SR80i was driven by an AMB Labs Mini³ and inspite of that still did not offer soundstaging, nor depth. I did post a 'rolling review' of that as I was breaking it in in the old headphiles forum, but the forum is now dead and there's a new one. It is good for rock, has the typical in-your-face midrange, but the i is a bit more refined. I hate the cord.

thanks again arnold! for starters i could learn a lot from here.. :) i think it would be best first to audition so that i can compare and see what could satisfy me..
stingRAY

Postby bass_nut » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 am

~US$55.00 inclusive of California taxes

iPod classic 120GB (with iTunes lossless files) + Sony MDR-PQ3 =-> decent and enjoyable SQ

YMMV

correction: after checking our receipts, this model cost only US$19.00 !! :clap:
Last edited by bass_nut on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby JoeyGS » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:22 am

Hi doc,

How is this compared to the Koss KCC-75?

Regards,
JoeyGS

bass_nut wrote:~US$55.00 inclusive of California taxes

iPod classic 120GB (with iTunes lossless files) + Sony MDR-PQ3 =-> decent and enjoyable SQ

YMMV
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bass_nut » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:07 am

JoeyGS wrote:Hi doc,

How is this compared to the Koss KCC-75?

Regards,
JoeyGS

bass_nut wrote:[~US$55.00] US$19.00, inclusive of California taxes

YMMV

brother Joey, SQ-wise, they are almost on the same level though KSC-75 has slightly softer LF which we usually prefer. for mobile/outdoor listening, i would still use the koss ksc-75 due to absence of the headband. ;)
bass_nut
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Head-Fi