portable cd players

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:08 am

meron bang squidward? :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby onedown » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:54 am

jaiyneg wrote:anyone knows where to buy vintage working sony (or denon) pcdp circa 1990-1996? Im hunting for any of the listed models:
# Sony D303
# Sony D211
# Sony D311
# Sony D515
# Sony D231
# Sony D777

and denon pcdp
dcp 100
dcp150

thanks!

i haven't heard any of them, but from what i read, they sound really good both from the head out and line out. back then, i think manufacturers were more concerned about the sound, and not battery life, weight, and shock protection.

my current pdcp is a circa early to mid 90s model, albeit bought as NOS about two years ago. sounds a lot better than the present pdcps.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:59 am

hehe, korek ka diyan jon. itong d121 ko - di pa ata tapos isang cd, ubos na bagong 2xAA baterya :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:16 am

dogears, i don't really like breaking out bad news, but i think it might be a sign that your d121 is about to die. i had the same experience with my old pdcd [a technics]. when it was new, a set of alkaline battery was good for at least three cds. but as the pdcd grew older, lumakas yung kain ng battery. finally, just before my technics died, hindi na abot ng isang cd yung battery.
Last edited by onedown on Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:22 am

hmn... matagal na [years] itong ganun eh :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:42 am

hmmm. yung technics ko naman, gradual yung paglakas ng kain ng battery.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:50 pm

in another forum, one headphone user claimed that there was a degradation in the quality of sound when he enabled the anti-skip protection feature of his pcdp. anyone here had the same experience?

sorry, i can't remember the other details such as in which forum, as well as the associated gear.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:06 pm

onedown wrote:in another forum, one headphone user claimed that there was a degradation in the quality of sound when he enabled the anti-skip protection feature of his pcdp. anyone here had the same experience?

sorry, i can't remember the other details such as in which forum, as well as the associated gear.

Wow, that headphone user must have golden ears in order to hear the difference :o
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby onedown » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:39 pm

Jon Agner, the guy did say that the difference was very slight, and it didn't stop him from enjoying the music.

anyway, some portables can play music without skipping because the data from the disc is stored in a buffer memory before it sends the data to the output. so even though the disc is jolted, music is played uninterrupted because the data actually came from the buffer memory. according to that guy, his theory was that the music stored in the buffer memory is slightly compressed.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby sputnik » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:37 pm

want to fiddle with your busted pdcps? :D

saw this .....

brain in a jar wrote:How to Fix Your CD Player
Every year countless CD players get junked because of one simple and easily-fixed problem: they fail to "find" CDs placed in them or they skip. Both of these faults are commonly caused by a misaligned read head.

In this article I provide details of a simple method which I have successfully applied to a number of ailing CD players. I hope that some of you will find it useful and that it will reduce the number of these devices that end up in the trash.

To start with, make sure that your CD player is suffering from the problem that this method is designed to fix. This method is designed to fix a misaligned CD read head. The common symptoms of this problem are:

1. You place a CD in the player, and it spins for a bit but never finds the list of tracks on the CD and returns some kind of error. This problem may occur regularly or intermittently.

2. CDs tend to skip frequently, even if they are clean and in good condition.

So if this sounds like your problem, then this method is for you. You should however bear the following in mind: only attempt to fix the CD player if the fault occurs frequently and is really annoying; i.e. if you are thinking of throwing the CD player away. To carry out the repair you will have to open the case. This will certainly render void any warranty the device might have, so if your player is still under warranty, don't open it. Simply return it to the retailer. Finally, for your safety and that of your equipment be sure to disconnect your CD player and remove any batteries at least a half hour before you start work. Finally, although I have had consistent success with this method, everything you do is at your own risk and is your own responsibility. I provide no guarantee of any nature regarding this method.

Your first job is to open up the case of your CD player. This will be more or less difficult depending on the type of device. If you are lucky and have a Hi-Fi separate type device then it will be pretty simple; if you have a mini or midi-system with a built in CD player this could be trickier. Fixing portable CD players (e.g. a Discman) is probably only for the uber-patient as it is likely to be very fiddly. The main thing required here is patience and a methodical approach. As you remove screws put them somewhere safe; line them up in the order in which you removed them, or make notes of what goes where. You may reach a point where you think you have taken all the screws out but you still can't get into the case. Here, patience is still the key. Check under stickers for hidden screws or clips. Try and work out where the case is held together. Use the minimum force possible at all times.

Now, assuming you have managed to get into the case successfully, and have got access to the CD player we can continue. By now you will probably be able to see the CD tray (the bit that holds the disk) and also some kind of arm which hovers over the disk when the tray is closed. There will usually be a small motor for moving the lens over the disk, and attached to this or nearby there is typically a small circuit board.

On this board, or in any case rather close to the read head there can usually be found a small potentiometer (sometimes referred to as a pot). This will usually be a small square component with a plastic disk on top, and this disk will have a slot which is designed to take a small flat head screwdriver. This is what we will be adjusting.

However, before doing this it is advisable to use an indelible marker pen (magic marker) to mark the current position of the Potentiometer, so that it can be returned to its original position if necessary. With this done then we are ready to start fixing your CD player.

This is essentially a trial and error process. You make a small adjustment to the position of the potentiometer, then try the CD player and see if it is improved. In my experience generally only small adjustments (less than plus/minus 30 degrees of rotation) are usually necessary.

Depending on how comfortable you are working with electrical devices there are different ways of going through this trial and error process. If you are unsure of yourself or particularly safety conscious then will probably want to put the case back on the CD player each time you test it because you will probably have to plug it in to do this. However, as you have probably guessed it is not necessary to put all the screws back in.

If you are a little more comfortable with electrical devices, e.g. you're the kind of person who never puts the sides on the case of their PC, then you may want to do the testing without putting the case back on the CD player. Obviously, this requires a good deal more caution, but it also makes the whole process quicker. While the device is plugged in, be sure to touch only the player's play and stop/eject buttons, unplugging the device again before making any adjustments. Be sure to keep hands and tools away from the player's power supply unit (PSU)/transformer (if you don't know how to identify this then you had better close the case between tries). Also be aware that the PSU can store power for some time, so it is advisable to leave the unit unplugged for a while between attempts, and not to touch the PSU.

After a few attempts it should be possible to find a position of the potentiometer (the little adjustable thing with the slot in the top) where the CD player recognises disks again and plays them without skipping. If, this is the case, then congratulations, you've fixed your CD player. Simply put the case back on and you are ready to rock.

source > http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/24/45212/6874

na try nyo na to :?
sputnik
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Sputnik:

Ganyan ata ang basic procedure ng brother ko pag naga-align ng mga mistrack na CD player :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby sputnik » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:56 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Sputnik:

Ganyan ata ang basic procedure ng brother ko pag naga-align ng mga mistrack na CD player :)

hmm, kulkulin ko kaya yung lumang sony pcdp namin kina erpat :roll:
wag na lang :D baka biglang magbasa ng mp3 :o ... baka atakihin pa ko sa puso :lol:

jonA this one's for you

gusto mong sumabay sa order namin ni dogears? :lol:
sputnik
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:12 pm

oist! di nga? talaga bang me squidward face? :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:14 pm

Magkano ba 'yang kay squidward? :lol: Nakup, baka mapunta lang sa anak ko iyan :(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby sputnik » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:40 pm

jon a,
mga 'round $40 ata pero you have to pay me an additional $10 for the paint job, by special order kasi si squidward e :lol:
talagang sa anak natin mapupunta yan, mahilig din sa spongebob anak ko, bikini bottom outfit all the way yun, pati brip spongebob :lol:
kaya yung misis ko parang gusto na akong pinturahan ng kulay dilaw :x :lol: para daw ipagmalaki ako ng anak namin sa school "wala ka sa akin tatay ko si spongebob" :lol2: :lol2:

dogears,

hi spongebob! :lol:
sputnik
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:28 pm

sputnik wrote:jon a,
mga 'round $40 ata pero you have to pay me an additional $10 for the paint job, by special order kasi si squidward e :lol:
talagang sa anak natin mapupunta yan, mahilig din sa spongebob anak ko, bikini bottom outfit all the way yun, pati brip spongebob :lol:
kaya yung misis ko parang gusto na akong pinturahan ng kulay dilaw :x :lol: para daw ipagmalaki ako ng anak namin sa school "wala ka sa akin tatay ko si spongebob" :lol2: :lol2:

US$ 50? :roll: eh kung bigyan nalang kita ng US$ 10, pinturahan mo nalang yung PCDP ko :D :lol: :lol: Sayang yung US$ 40, katumbas niyan yung price ng Don't Smoke in Bed LP ng Holly Cole Trio sa Montage :wink: :twisted:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:56 pm

JonA, [OT] grabe prices nila - tumaas na naman ata :o meron atang gasolina eh :P dati kasi wala akong nakikita 2999 dun eh, ngayon meron na :P

Sputnik, no way I will give that to my son/s - sisirain lang nila yan... kaya... sa akin na lang :D maprint nga yang ginawa mo - tapal ko muna dito sa aking naghihingalong discman :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:08 am

dogears wrote:JonA, [OT] grabe prices nila - tumaas na naman ata :o meron atang gasolina eh :P dati kasi wala akong nakikita 2999 dun eh, ngayon meron na :P

:lol:

OT pa rin - Doggie, Matagal na 'yang 2999 nila, mga Miles Davis re-issues kadalasan yung nasa price range na iyan. :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:24 am

Ah, ok.... I'm not buying still :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby sputnik » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:35 pm

black beauties from sony

D-NE320PSBLK $49.95

D-NE520black $79.95