Comments on Audio Technica headphones

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Comments on Audio Technica headphones

Postby ejbasses » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:39 pm

Any body here own Audio Technica Headphones? How do they sound?
ejbasses

Postby onedown » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:55 am

i'm not sure if if remember it correctly, but i think dogears has an audio technica. anyway i'm quoting a short discussion about audio technica phones from another thread.

racio wrote:

Racio wrote:I was at Audiophile AliMall a couple of days ago looking for a pair of simple Y-connectors when something else piqued my fancy. I noticed they already have a respectable array of Audio-Technica headphones (the last time I was there, they only had 2 or 3 on display). Unfortunately, I was in hurry and didn't have the time to demo any of 'em. But the guys there were really accomodating and pulled out every headphone I pointed my finger at. I suddenly got flashbacks of an email Rajan sent me a few years back about A-T head phones that sported wooden ear cups. I think they somehow read my mind 'coz the manager replied that they currently don't have those in stock, but if I'm willing to wait, they can special order almost anything I could find on A-T's website.

Well, I found this:

ImageATH-W1000

specs: http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/ath-w1000.html

I'm awaiting their price quote hopefully by the end of the week. However, I haven't seriously delved into headphones yet, so I'm practically clueless if the above is in any way a good investment. I'm quite aware that Sennheisers, Grado and AKGs are popular top picks, but I've read very little about A-Ts. Headphone gurus, your comments please? Rajan? Russ? TIA.

This one's mondo dinero :o :

ImageATH-L3000 ($2k)
Looks real cool though. hehe.

here's the reply he got from rajan:

rajan wrote:The AT phones were once the rage in the headphone forum a year ago. Now they have all died down. The phones posted by Racio are indeed expensive. I would invest in a Senn 580/600/650 instead. If you are not really into headphones, the following will be my shortlist:

higher-end:
senn 580 - darker
grado 125/225 - brighter

lower-end:
senn 497 - haven't heard it but seems to be rated favorably
grado 60/80 - brighter

as in most in audio, ymmv, and let your ears do the listening.

here is the link to the thread where i got the quotes:

headphones/headphone systems for dummies
onedown
Master
Master

Return to Head-Fi