headphones/headphone systems for dummies

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby dogears » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:26 pm

kenneth, i did a search... eto yung mga posts ni onedown:
------------
whew! quite an extensive collection of headphones you have, aeroes. among the cans you own, i've only heard the px-100. i got a chance to listen to a grado sr-80, though.

i'll have to agree with your comments regarding the highs of the px-100.

the sr-80 on the other hand, is quite similar to your description of the sr-60. mids are good. the highs, however could be a bit edgy on certain instruments. based on the Cds i played, the edginess is quite noticable on the perucssions.

by the way, regarding your query on the other headphone thread, the hp890 is availabe in some odyssey/O music video branches. you might also want to try astro plus in podium. i saw one there a couple of months ago.

thanks.
--------------
tatalope, if you're not going to move around, i suggest you get the 497 instead of px100. over-all, the 497 is better than the px100. the 497's bass goes deeper, has clearer mids, and has better extension in the high frequencies.

the grado sr80, on the other hand has a tight bass, although it doesn't go as low as the senn hd 497. to my ears, the sr80 has a slight edge on the mids. however, i also felt that the sr80 has a tendency to be slightly edgy, particullarly on some percussions.

as for akg headphones, i haven't heard any of them. a k-55 owner whom i know however, is quite happy with it, considering it costs less than 2k.

best would be to audition, as we might have a different opinion and listening preferences.

hope this helps.
-------------------

note however that onedown never got the chance to listen to the sr80s with the senn pads :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby kennethkpe » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:29 pm

ayos salamat dogears !! naligaw nga ung post ko e kala ko doon ako sa frakendog nag popost :D hmmm mas tight ang bass... tama ba pagkaintindi ko dyan ? parang kumbaga sa sounds ng kotse mas maliit ung sub ng grado kaya mas malakas ang beat pero pag senn parang 15' gumagapang ung bass :D hehe di ko maisipan ng interpretation e :) na try ko na rin ung k55 dati bumili ako :D fun set of cans :D pero mas masaya ung hd201 :D heheehheeheh
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:42 am

kenneth, i was supposed to post this yesterday just reading your post at the other thread. however, our network encountered problems just as i was about to click on "submit." :x :D

anyway, if you haven't done so, balik ka doon. i posted a short comment there about the hd497 and sr80.

my apologies if i gave your mouse some extra workout. :D

yup, this thread is quite long. this used to be just a thread in the "newbie" forum, kaya lahat ng headphone/portable related question is in here.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:24 am

kenneth, i suggest you think about your criteria in choosing headphone. personally, i would rank comfort first. in my opinion, there is no point in getting a pair of headphones that sound great if you can't wear them for more than a few minutes. the shure earbuds for example. positioned correectly, they sound great. but i can't wear them for more than a few minutes because i get uncomfortable.

as for the head amps, one option is to make one. there's a link somewhere here on how to make a CMoy amp. alternatively, there are threads on CMoy amps here. the CMoy is a portable head amp that is powered by a 9-volt battery.

if you're not into diy, try visiting phasetron at parksquare. they used to have a head amp there, though not portable.

thanks. :)
onedown
Master
Master

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:56 am

sabagay, cguro i never gave much consideration to comfort kasi most of the headphones na dinaanan ko comfortable tlga (im reading around that grados are not that comfortable nu?)

actually nag testing ako ng amp na protable for office e, nag order ako sa www.electric-avenues.com ng pa2v2, di ko pa tlga matry kung ano difference e.... di lang ata pinu ung tenga ko pag dating sa discerning sound quality :( that or ung headphones ko di makakanotice ng diff, tinry ko dun sa ipinamana ko na headphones sa gf ko saka sa gamit ko ngayon.. parang same lang hahaahahhaahah :( :( :(

phasetron? may nakita akong headphone amps sa glorietta 3 ba yon ? mahal e :( di siya sulit kung pang headphones lang :D haha
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:20 am

Kennet, that's a cool amp :) Magkano?

Here's a reviewer's take on the diff between Grado and Sennheiser sound... http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/grado125.htm
dogears
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:30 am

Kennet, that's a cool amp :) Magkano?

Here's a reviewer's take on the diff between Grado and Sennheiser sound... http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/grado125.htm
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:06 pm

kenneth, phasetron is in parksquare. they also have other branches, though i don't know where.

in which store did you see the headamp glorietta 3? would you also happen to remember the brand?

thanks.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:34 pm

naku nakalimutan ko na, basta its the store ppnta dun sa puros electronics na part ng glorietta,ung tatawid ka pa ppnta dun sa mga store where 5th ave is, the first store there, it sells tube amps na pang headphones e, di ko alam ung brand and di ko alam kung ilang ohms ung support e, di kasi ako masaydo na entertain nung tau dun, tas nabadtrip na lnag ako umalis na ako haha :D ska ala rin ako pera para bilhin yon.... hihihih

spottan ko ung phasetron sa parksquare sa susunod, unahin ko muna ung mga parts ng aquarium ko....

btw dogears, binili ko sa net, 46 dollars shipped (minus the adapter kasi 110) sobrang bait yang gumagawa nyan ! sa sobrang bait nakakatakot na hahaha :D anyway umabot mga 50 dollars total so mga 2500, kng gsto mo try pwede ko paheram sa yo, wala kasi ako lineout na source na ok except ung lumang discman ko e... sa lineout nun maganda naman :) malinaw ung tunog pero di ko ap rin ma tell difference sa headphone out ng ipod :( naghahanap pa ako ng magpapahiram sa akin ng lineout for ipod e :P hjehehehehe
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby gaol » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Kenneth,

For headphone amps, you can check out Rajan's amps, which are still up for sale. The cheaper one Porta Corda is a small amp powered by a 9v battery and is ideal for portable use. For deskbound use, the ac-powered corda ha1 is a better, albeit more expensive, option. They both sound great with a Grado sr80.

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3042&highlight=corda

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5301&highlight=corda
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby gaol » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:44 pm

kennethkpe wrote:naku nakalimutan ko na, basta its the store ppnta dun sa puros electronics na part ng glorietta,ung tatawid ka pa ppnta dun sa mga store where 5th ave is, the first store there, it sells tube amps na pang headphones e, di ko alam ung brand and di ko alam kung ilang ohms ung support e, di kasi ako masaydo na entertain nung tau dun, tas nabadtrip na lnag ako umalis na ako haha :D ska ala rin ako pera para bilhin yon.... hihihih

spottan ko ung phasetron sa parksquare sa susunod, unahin ko muna ung mga parts ng aquarium ko....

That's Upscale Audio in Park Square 1 and the amp is I guess the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3.
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:01 pm

yun sakto upscale audio in park square 1 ! nope di siya musical fidelity because the price sorbang layo sa the one being sold here sa forums e, halos doble :) has anybody tried the sound of the porta corda on senns dito ? senn kasi headphones ko ngayon e di grado :(

*edit they look good!, not flashy plain black, id like to try them out.. mabait ba ung nagbebenta ? seems konti lang tlga interested sa headphones dito sa pinas no :( tagal na niya binebenta yan a :(

*btw alam nyo ba kung ano ung difference dun sa MKI na corda sa mga lumabas na bago ? MKIII na ngayun :)
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:12 pm

btw kenneth, that pocket amp2 might just be a variation of the CMOY headamp... just a guess.

edit:
LM4881 pala yung gamit na OPAmp: http://www.electric-avenues.com/ebay/features_pa2.jpg

cool talaga :D
Last edited by dogears on Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby gaol » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:13 pm

kennethkpe wrote:yun sakto upscale audio in park square 1 ! nope di siya musical fidelity because the price sorbang layo sa the one being sold here sa forums e, halos doble :) has anybody tried the sound of the porta corda on senns dito ? senn kasi headphones ko ngayon e di grado :(

*edit they look good!, not flashy plain black, id like to try them out.. mabait ba ung nagbebenta ? seems konti lang tlga interested sa headphones dito sa pinas no :( tagal na niya binebenta yan a :(

*btw alam nyo ba kung ano ung difference dun sa MKI na corda sa mga lumabas na bago ? MKIII na ngayun :)

Re the senns, you can get feedback from Rajan himself, as I believe he uses a senn hd600. Super bait yan at madaling kausap.

As for the newer cordas, I think the main differences are the upgraded, more expensive, parts--which makes them much more expensive. They should sound better but it will cost.
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:18 pm

YES NAKITA KO NGA SA NET E ANG MAMAHAL NILA SA WWW.MEIR-AUDIO.COM BA YUN.... and yes ! the PA2V2 is just a variation of a cmoy amp ! mas mahina pa nga daw sya compared sa cmoy e :P heheh but its ok naman im not complaining, im guessing pag magpalit ako headphones maririning ko ung difference... sana :)

hd600 huway ! yun ung target ko nga e :P pero mahal e :( 17k dito, naghahanap nga ako ng second hand e :( message ko si Rajan, malayo ba bahay nun ?
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:50 pm

kenneth,

i think rajan is not based in manila. as for the hd600, a good alternative would be the hd595, according to folks over at headroom. what headphones are you using by the way, if you don't mind me asking?
onedown
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:55 pm

Onedown, magkano nga total cost nung cmoy mo? Hehehe.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:59 pm

dogears, i wouldn't really know the exact cost, since we didn't have to buy the opamps. but for the other parts, it's about the same as a vicor re-issue cd. :D

kenneth, forgot to mention earlier, if you're interested in the hd595, you can visit architectural audio to audition them. :)
onedown
Master
Master

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:06 pm

magkano ba ang hd595, im thinking of going all the way na too the hd600-650 para matigil na to medyo e saka i dont like the single sided cable design nung 555 saka 595 e :( , gamit ko ngayon hd555 :D magkano ba ung 595 ?

meron ba kayong cmoy dyan ? compare natin head on vs pa2v2 :D interested ako to find out kung ano benefits disadvantages....

teka nag tratrabaho ba kayo ? parang buong araw post lang tayo ng post hahahha
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby aye » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:22 pm

kennethkpe, if you could find the hd600 the better imo (because i got one, patronize your own ;) he he he). imagine stock cable can be upgraded and changed for improvements. bought mine at sound dimension sa park square, check mo baka may natira pa. but definitely would require headphone amp to sound good, high impedance kasi. a cmoy at higher supply rail (for better voltage swing) is a good match basta set mo lang gain to something higher (10 or 11?). cmoy is not sufficient for low impedance cans (at least the commom op amps used).

ano P17K for hd600?!? sa local store ba? ang mahal naman considering matagal nang lumabas hd650.
aye
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Head-Fi