headphones/headphone systems for dummies

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Re: headphones/headphone systems for dummies

Postby Maxine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm

I agree with bee458. Bose has the best sound quality.
Maxine

Postby marcusd » Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Maxine wrote:I agree with bee458. Bose has the best sound quality.

If you are mentioning it in terms of active noise cancelling then Bose is strong for active noise cancelling but it is a long way short of being the best sq for the price it is marketed at. For that price you can acquire high end Grado, Senn HD650 and an ATH ESW9 and ESW10. There are simply too many options even at sub 10k level competing with Bose On-Ear range there are clear winners over the Bose SQ also such as the Aiaiai TMA-1 the Senn HD-25-1 II and probably even the TDK ST800 which is as low as 6.5k in Astrovision.

I say shop around if you want better sq and you will be surprised for what you can get with less money than the Bose range. If you want active noise cancellation then that is the time you inspect Bose.
marcusd
Citizen
Citizen

Postby donunus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

The audio technica anc7 is still better sounding than the bose IMO. I think I got mine before for less than $150 including express shipping from ebay.
donunus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arcamarel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi!

Newbie here with regards to headphones. Was mostly into home audio but because i already sent home my system, I recently bought myself a Grado SR60i for use here abroad.

My question is, how do I connect my HP to my dvd player for watching DVDs since i don't have an amp/speaker now? For my music, I'm using the laptop and listening to music online. Do I need a headphone amp for this purpose & a DAC for online listening?

Will appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

Thanks and regards.
arcamarel

Postby onedown » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:59 pm

the dvd player would have to be connected to an amp, unless the player has a headphone out. not really sure what you mean by online listening. if you mean internet radio, dac won't be necessary if you connect using your laptop.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby arcamarel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh I see. So, I still need an amp or headphone amp.

For internet radio, Can I just connect the headphone amp directly to the laptop via a 3.5mm to RCA connector? Meanwhile, I'm connecting my SR60 directly to the laptop, but wonder if adding a headphone amp will give a substantial sonic benefit.
arcamarel

Postby polaris » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:51 pm

arcamarel wrote:Oh I see. So, I still need an amp or headphone amp.

For internet radio, Can I just connect the headphone amp directly to the laptop via a 3.5mm to RCA connector? Meanwhile, I'm connecting my SR60 directly to the laptop, but wonder if adding a headphone amp will give a substantial sonic benefit.

sr60s are fine without an external amp..they are efficient enough for ipods or mp3 devices..
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman_md » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 pm

polaris wrote:

sr60s are fine without an external amp..they are efficient enough for ipods or mp3 devices..

Sir, can you say the same for a Grado SR80? Thanks...
iceman_md

Postby geriboy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm

iceman_md wrote:
polaris wrote:

Sir, can you say the same for a Grado SR80? Thanks...

yes :)
geriboy
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Head-Fi