headphones/headphone systems for dummies

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:27 pm

magkano kuha mo sa hd600 mo ? yup sa local store yan ! sa sights and sounds sa shang ako nag tanong kay uncle vic :D hehehe

yup kaya nga i was looking for a good amp na rin e, not too good quality naman super sana set up, balak ko pa rin gawing source ko ay computer, sound card ko probably something not super nice na :D ayaw ko na muna mag DAC ? or kelangan tlga to heheheheheehheeh
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby aye » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:42 pm

baka naman pwede ka humingi ng discount pag cash basis. ang kuha ko kasi eh P13K (brand new) nung year 2003 pa. considering wala ka nang shipping cost at tax ok na sa akin. meron ding promo ata nun yung pioneer the same year (huli na nang malaman ko) something close sa price na nabile ko at 12 months to pay, zero interest pa, sayang. check mo yung mga promo booth nila (appliance fair c/o citibank) baka sakaling available.
aye
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:54 pm

12 months to pay zero interest pwede a :D hehehehe parang deposit kumbaga, 13K brand new magkano na ba dollar nun ? kasi pag convert mo ng presyo dati tama e ! 13 k pwede na nga a !!!!!!! haaay :( ano pala gamit mo para i drive ung hd600 mo sir ?
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby aye » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:28 pm

basic cmoy lang up until now. gilmore dynahi and dynamid(balance), soha tube hybrid on the drawing board (kulang pa ng pyesa).

planning to convert cmoy to 3 ch, ala ppa ba. +/-15V supply, will be trying class a biasing soon to see effect.

im also planning to replace/upgrade cable by dec. got a bunch of headphone end plugs (from dr meier). wire na lang kelangan ko at stereo plug.
aye
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi Aye, which wire are you planning to use?
I'm still pondering on which cable to use and replace my Grado's stock :roll: or wag na lang din :loL
dogears
Master
Master

Postby aye » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:10 pm

hi moises, meron akong tripple insulated wire, similar to magnet wire iba nga lang insulation pero something close sa teflon sa dielectric constant. wala kasing starquad (belden or mogami)na suitable for headphone wire akong makita. mukhang magli-litz-braid ako for this. been also searching for thin silver teflon insulated wire. check out zu cable and stefan audio art web site for ideas on their expensive headphone cable. i have a number of ideas borrowed from them that i would like to discuss, siguro gawan natin ng ibang thread. ano ba itsura nung audience wire na nabangit mo dati? kung manipis sya (including insulation) like AWG#29 or #30 (solid wire) pwede syang pang headphone wire. ayus yon, scaled down high end, instant bragging rights.
aye
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:14 pm

wow i tried my best pero parang nag babasa ako ng chinese, pa skip skip lang ung naiintindihan ko.... ano na pinaguusapan nyo ? replacement wires ? mga engineering ba kayo ? :D hehehehehe
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:19 pm

Out na yung Audience kasi about 2mm thick ata with thin insulation.

Kaya naman di ko pa rin binubuksan yung isang channel ng Grado ko eh para maA/B ko kung meron ba talagang katuturan yung gagawin ko sa kanya :P If I'd replace the stock cable, mukhang magiging hiwalay yung cable ng left and right ng Grado ko... since wala naman akong spare set :D

Grabe, I was only planning on improving the aesthetics :P
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:42 pm

i was away for just a couple of hours, at ang dami ng post!

kenneth, the hd 595 costs about 11k. yup, you got it right. the guys are discussing ugrading the cables of their cans. baka nga pati internal wiring eh they also plan to upgrade.

jaiyneg, audience hook up wires come in two sizes. if i remember correctly, gauge 18 and gauge 21. i'm just not sure if both sizes are available at achitectural audio. the wires are quite stiff, in spite of their thickness.

dogears, go, man! all out mod! :twisted: :D
onedown
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:49 pm

jon, I'm not sure though if I can get the same effect the Senn pads did for the SR80... #1 tweak in my list so far :D tweak of the century! :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:56 pm

dogears, there's only one way to find out. :twisted: :lol:

seriously, even though i haven't heard a grado with a senn pad, it seems that it is a very good tweak. i have yet to read negative feedback about the senn mod.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:45 pm

replacing cables ? madali lang ba gmawa nung mga cables na nakikita ko sa ibang forums ng headphones ? ganda tignan e, gsto ko sana gumawa more for aesthetic reasons muna kasi i dont think my headphones would benefit from a wire upgrade :) hehee 11K hd595.... di malayo sa hd600 a :P hehehhe na second hand hahahahahaha

Postby kennethkpe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:46 pm

aku pala yun sa taas ^^^
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:45 am

kenneth,

the price i quoted is a rough estimate. i can't remember the exact price.

edited to add:

i haven't compared the hd600 with the hd595, but i read somewhere that the hd595 gives you a front row seat, as opposed to the hd600 with some people find a bit too laid back.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby kennethkpe » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:53 am

i see i see :D nandto nan aman sa pinas ung sennheiser mismo e so ung presyo standard na supposedly :) if not mas cheap pa nga kesa kung titignan sa net :D hehe hd600 too laid back ba ? naku haha
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:10 am

kenneth,

it's the opinion of some people who had listened to the hd600. audition mo na lang if you're interested. your opinion of what laid back is might be different from them.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby kennethkpe » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:13 am

sabagay....... its better to hear na rin pero ako nalalaidback na ako sa 201 saka sa 555 :) relaxing cya :D ok pag nagpapaantok saka nag chichill pero pag sa office bigla na lang makakaZzZzZzZzhrgwhwxzZzZ
kennethkpe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:40 pm

been auditioning headphones for almost 3 weeks my choices were GRADO vs. Audio-Technica. i was very intrigued by the audio-technica headphones because there are little reviews concerning their ART line which is composed of ath-a55, ath-a500, ath-a700, and ath-a900. This is due because of the fact that it was never released in europe or america until recently ...

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/news/ ... index.html

well not so recent because it will be released tomorrow at the Las Vegas hi-fi show, it was only available through online stores like audiocubes.com. But we've had it for years at Audiophile. It will be released with the following prices...

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/p ... dphones.pl

ath-a55 - SRP US$179 Audiophile price is P5100 less 20% because it is on sale
ath-a500 not available internationally Audiophile price is around P6000
ath-a700 SRP US$299 Audiophile price is around P7300

so we definitely have the audio technicas cheaper here than anywhere else in the world, and we get to have it before the americans and the europenas do. listening to the ath-a55 was an awesome experience, the first step in pushing me to decide the NEED to get a pair of headphones. i was definitely getting the ath-a55 at P4,000 a steal...

fast forward 3 days after during the christmas rush, megamall 5th floor Audiophile, A-B'ed the ath-a55 and the ath-a500, thought to myself i shouldn't have done it because the sound was miles apart and the ath-a500 wasn't on sale...such air...even my gf, said it was definitely going to be the ath-a500, since she was buying i was nodding...

fast forward to january 2, now i was definitely getting the ath-a500. during this time i'm now asking people favors, especially RVC to hook me up with some audiophile people to give me the 20% discount for the ath-a500, they could only give me a 3%. A-B'd the ath-a500, and ath-a700 not much of a difference plus i liked the ath-a500's matte black finish better than the glossy ath-a700.... so i decided to just sleep on it....

hooked up with pic and dropped by audio den the next day and demoed the grado-sr60. Now this sound is definitely what i was looking for. very detailed, with the air of the audio technica, non-aggressive, very laid back, white sand, blue waters and bottomless jack-coke'esque vibe going on. hrmmmm....well...now i have the sr80s, the sr80s retail for $100 audio den was selling it for P6000, so im getting just the right price for it, no discounts, no "una sa mga kano" feeling but a happy set of ears and a wonderful pair of retro looking grado sr80s =)

attached it to my scott 299c headphones out and enjoyed myself to sleep.

one inquiry, i had to detach my speaker cables because i didn't notice i was hearing sound from my headphones and speakers sabay after one whole album hahahah

can't i just plug in the headphones and automatically erase the music coming from my speakers? and when i pull out my headphones get music from my speakers. mejo hassle mag tanggal kabit ng speaker cables lalo na ngayon im demoing a pair of ga-sawa diy speaker cables.

Postby jamants » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:43 pm

ako si guest :D
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:49 pm

SB-/SR80-mate! :lol:
ayos sa journey ah - congrats! :D wait til you hear it with Senn pads 8)
kelangan mo ng a/b switch... hmn... maybe a special one for your situation :D
dogears
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Head-Fi