headphones/headphone systems for dummies

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby onedown » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:30 am

toobs, haven't really seen mx500s locally. but if you're not particular about the mx500's volume control, you can get the mx400. from what i read, the only differences between the two are the volume control and color.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby rajan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:16 pm

baka pa nga makaapekto yung volume control kung purist ka. tapos kapag luma na yan tapos marumi na kontakt aalingas-ngas pa kaya better if no vc at all.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby toobs » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:56 pm

Hi,

Where can I find this MX400? Need one for the office.

thanks,
toobs
toobs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rajan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:21 pm

toobs,

baka meron sa mga music stores gaya ng tower, music 1 or odyssey. but honestly i have been to these establishments for quite a while already. hopefully, somebody does know and can help you. pasensya na.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:25 am

toobs, like rajan said, senns are available at tower and music 1. as far as i know, odyssey doesn't carry them. some appliance major stores like automatic center (depending on the branch) sell sennheisers as well.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby av_phile » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:26 pm

Saw a Philips and a Sennheiser wireless headsets costing the same, about 6.5T each. Forgot to get the model designations. But any users of these wireless headsets?
av_phile
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:38 pm

onedown wrote:dogears, bass of px100 = REL? wow! does that mean that you don't like your sr80 anymore? akin na lang. :lol:

kidding aside, i'm glad that your enjoying your px100. somehow, i have a feeling that it would even sound better once it is fully broken in. by the way, how do you find the mids and highs?

Bass lang ang pinakastrong point niya. Recessed ang midrange :P Straight from the headphone out, I'm really hoping it would improve on the midrange. Palitan ko kaya cable???
dogears
Master
Master

Postby onedown » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:30 am

dogears, not familiar with the px100, but are the cables removable? replacing the cable might improve the sound, just like what many owners of the hd600 do. i also read in another forum that some owners of philips hp890 changing the cables.

anyway, your phones are most likely still in the break-in stage. the mids might just improve once your phones are fully broken-in.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby dogears » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:43 pm

onedown, sorry for confusing you with the other onedown at pinoydvd :P
anyway, i think the break in period is over. the midrange did not come out :P bass heads would be delighted with this headphone :) i think it's weakest link is the cable. for Php2500, pwede na kasi portable naman siya eh. Plus it's very light.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby av_phile » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:39 pm

Saw a wireless Sennheiser and Philips headset at Sound Dimension, both costing around 6.5T. Didn't get the model designation though. But would appreciate to know if these are good enough for serious home listening. Not studio grade I suppose. (no studio would be caught dead, as it were, with wireless headsets :lol: ) But I do find the wires a bit awkward and unsightly. So if I can find a wireless headset that can approach studio-grade quality and reasonably priced, i'd get one.

Also, what would be a good headphone amp? And where can I find one? I am thinking of getting a low-powered stereo amp for this purpose. My separates set-up at the moment, apart from the cassette and VHS recorders which I hardly use anymore, does not have any headphone jack. Thanks.
av_phile
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rajan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:59 am

Wireless headsets are made for convenience. Nothing made today approaches that of wired unit.

Please check with Rene Rivo for some tubed headphone amp. SS amps you may have to import. I have a couple that I am thinking about selling but not sure yet.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby av_phile » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:30 am

rajan wrote:Wireless headsets are made for convenience. Nothing made today approaches that of wired unit.

Please check with Rene Rivo for some tubed headphone amp. SS amps you may have to import. I have a couple that I am thinking about selling but not sure yet.

Sorry, am not familiar with Rene Rivo. But just the same, any idea of the price range of such headphone amps. I once came across a tube headphone amp costing almost twice my Acurus power amp. Is it the same? Thanks.
av_phile
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rajan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:02 pm

rene rivo is hypertriode. He has a forum here under Hyperaudio. He carries the Antique Sound Lab tube amps from time to time which if I am not mistaken varies in price from P15T to 4x over.

I have the Porta Corda and HA I Mk I versions. These are ss amps and the link will give you an idea how much these cost nowadays.

Dealers of Musical Fidelity might have a stock of their x-can headamp so check them out too.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:15 pm

Rajan,

nabuhay ka ah... what speakers did you end up with?
mozilla

Postby rajan » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:20 pm

master grant,

went back to my roots...headphones!!!

how's everybody?

newbie rajan.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:24 pm

ok lang. Been very busy myself.
mozilla

Postby av_phile » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:55 am

rajan wrote:rene rivo is hypertriode. He has a forum here under Hyperaudio. He carries the Antique Sound Lab tube amps from time to time which if I am not mistaken varies in price from P15T to 4x over.

I have the Porta Corda and HA I Mk I versions. These are ss amps and the link will give you an idea how much these cost nowadays.

Dealers of Musical Fidelity might have a stock of their x-can headamp so check them out too.

Thanks Rajan, now I have an idea.

Have you or anyone else tried connecting the headphone to the pre-out of a preamp by converting the professional jack to RCA? I noticed the impedances of most headphones varies from 16k to 48 kohms requiring anywhere between 160 to 320 millivolt input. Most preamps have 22kohm output impedance that can be fed to power amos with 50kohm input impedance. Also they output from 1-1.2 volts which is equivalent to full volume. So the headphone falls within this range.
av_phile
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rajan » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:33 am

It is certainly doable but I personally have not done it. Certain preamps out in the market such as the ASL has this designed in their circuits. The operative word is that it was designed in those products. The argument against the former is that modifying an existing preamp to have a headphone output will not sound as good and will always be an afterthought. Thus, the proliferation of headphone amps.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby av_phile » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:00 pm

Well, I wasn't thinking of modifying a preamp to accept headphones. It's more the other way around - modifying the headphone jacks to connect to the preamp's output. Will try it out one of these days.
av_phile
Citizen
Citizen

Postby av_phile » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:31 am

Last Saturday, I connected an old worn-out wireless JVC headset to the pre-outs of my Denon AVD2020 and then to a Rotel RSP960 pre/pros. And as I anticipated, I got as full bodied a sound as through any stereo pro jack. Seems I'll be in the market for a good preamp purely for headphones.
av_phile
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Head-Fi