Please help make my Stax Headphone rig come true

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Please help make my Stax Headphone rig come true

Postby harvey_a_vasquez » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi Guys,
Good Day
Long time lurker in this sub forum, but have been a member of WS for almost 5 years now.
I have always wanted to expand my small system to include a headphone rig.

My system is as follows:
Source: Turntable- Technics 1200 MK2-A
Amplification: Integrated Amplifier- Marantz PM 750 DC
Speakers: Pioneer CS77

The main reason for the addition of a headphone rig is for me to be able to listen to my Ethnographic and Free Jazz records.
Not a popular genre to collect in any household for that matter. Thankfully I can blast my Blue note records on rare occasions.

With that out of the way, here it goes.
I have always been lusting about Stax headphone system especially the lambda series, since I saw it on a interior design magazine in my formative years.
I know a few guys here have a system in place hence the questions, I hope you have a bit of time to spare.

1. In reading about reviews about the system, I came upon an important tidbit. The technology of electrostatic headphones is doesn't take humidity kindly. As experienced by users in HK and SG. For the local owners here do you have a comment in this?
2. How to piece together a system, vintage or new. My budget is around 30-40k region hopefully for the amp and the headphones. Is this possible? I know ebay is a great place, though I would not want to go through the hassle of shipping these babies for customs and tax reasons. Though I can be coaxed to pick up a system in SG.
3. Lastly for the power, as it is set up for Japan mains, is there no conflict with the AC/DC set up locally? As we don't have a local supplier I know that the power is configured for other countries.

And if people can persuade me to go to a totally different route, AKG's and DIY amp for example I will greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Harvey
Last edited by harvey_a_vasquez on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
harvey_a_vasquez
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Please help make my Stax Headphone rig come true

Postby carbondated » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm using the Stax basic system and haven't had any trouble with humidity. It's powered by a wall wart SMPS so mains voltage/frequency are not so much of a problem. Have been distracted by the more dynamic quality of planar magnetics lately, but electrostatic sweetness and neutrality still have a soft spot in my heart.

The headphone amp/DAC market is very competitive now so you'll probably get a good deal. I use the Burson and can highly recommend their products; Schiit is available by mail order and is great value for money. For the headphones I suggest Sennheiser HD 650s which will get you most of the sound their flagship 800s at a fraction of the cost, or AKG 701s.

Cheers,
C.
Last edited by carbondated on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 pm

am also a Stax fan and I've been meaning to get a good headphone setup. I'm in no rush and am waiting on a a new brand coming up. :x

Just in case, you may want to check out the Audeze cans too.
keith
walastick

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:53 am

keith wrote:...am waiting on a a new brand coming up. :x

Will this be at the show?
rtsyrtsy

Postby keith » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:41 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:
keith wrote:...am waiting on a a new brand coming up. :x

Will this be at the show?

sorry Russ. Not yet in existence. :rofl:
keith
walastick

Postby harvey_a_vasquez » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for the input guys!
I am also doing a bit more reading online about the stax earspeaker system and came upon the energizer/adapter series that makes it possible to use my existing amp.
The problem with the above device is that it is long out of production. Anyone have an unwanted spare? :$

There is also current 3rd party brand that offer the same in a contemporary package that I am thinking of exploring:
Reading reviews on this baby and so far it seems like a great alternative.

Now for the Earspeakers themselves I am looking at a SR 507 if I can afford it, prices online varies dramatically but I will be patient about this.

Do any of you guys buying second hand headphones online have anything for me to note or look out for? Especially on the Stax variant.

thanks in advance.
harvey_a_vasquez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 am

Why not have someone diy an amp for your stax headphone. I know JojoD818 did one a long time ago with very good results. PM him at pinoydvd.com
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby harvey_a_vasquez » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:04 am

Hi Guys,
Good news on my small journey into stax.
I chance upon a guy that can release a basic system for a really good price.
Awaiting he's final reply and hope that the things align smoothly for this.
More soon... :x
harvey_a_vasquez
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Head-Fi