Who'd fork out $1600 for this Sennheiser amp?

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Who'd fork out $1600 for this Sennheiser amp?

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/01/sennheiser-hdva-600-analog-headphone-amp/

I got into headphones because I still do not have a proper room and head-fi is a solid yet reasonably priced alternative. But head-fi gear pricing sure is quickly becoming rather lofty. ;(
rtsyrtsy

Re: Who'd fork out $1600 for this Sennheiser amp?

Postby dimfer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 am

have you heard it? I would, if I am into Sennheiser house sound. But there are a lot of worthy alternatives in that price range, like the Woo Audio stuff.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:54 am

I like the Senn sound. I still have an HD600 at home and and a PX100 for working out in regular circulation.

But US$1,600 though MSRP would make me not even bother hearing this amp out. Woo indeed would be more romantically appealing.

Anyway, the point I was making was that it wasn't that painful on the wallet to get into the top rungs of head-fi performance say 5 years ago. The price of the range toppers today can be quite limiting. Hopefully the performance merit the rise.

Then again, maybe it's me. There was a time when I did not flinch when I placed the order for a table/arm/cart even when I did not and still do not have a proper room. These days though, I've been more interested in other things like the next sportive to ride (and the custom Ti/Steel ride to do it on), the recently price-reduced M9-P, or a long-standing dream of a Chronometre Bleu. Ahh, so much to spend on yet so little to spend!

Perhaps the audio fever would rise again when I address the room issue.
rtsyrtsy

Postby Arnel » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm still in the search for the perfect match for my HD800. If these Senn amps were not that expensive, I would consider it. Heck it's even more expensive than the headphones. :)
Arnel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sheepboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Arnel wrote:I'm still in the search for the perfect match for my HD800. If these Senn amps were not that expensive, I would consider it. Heck it's even more expensive than the headphones. :)

Audition it with the Woo Audio WA6Se at listening room megamall. After hearing that, I got it for my Hd800.
sheepboy
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Head-Fi