Portable Rig

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Portable Rig

Postby dimonyo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi All,

Was hoping to setup a portable rig. Idea is i can listen to it at home and at work. I usually have my car to drive to and from work, so i guess weight is not as much an issue. Probably on the couch and at the desk at the office.

My first attempt on this is ipod classic and an ER6i. I enjoyed it but that setup is gone now. Sold the ipod and the left ear of the phones busted.

I tried to listen to a grado headphone in rockwell ( not sure if its acoustic dimensione ). Didn't like what i heard, that particular phone costs around 10K.

For my new portable player im looking at sony's NWZ-A846 (for the EQ) or a cowon (for FLAC). Any other suggestions?

I do not have any idea if im gonna need an amp or dac.

I'm not sure of the headphones too, sennheiser hd 650 sounds great from the reviews but im not sure if its the sound im looking for. sennheisers ie8 reads great too, but my troubles with the er6i is that my ear holes gets tired of it easily. i wonder how other grado or akg's sounds

I hope there's a place where one can listen to existing setups.

thanks in advance guys.
dimonyo

Re: Portable Rig

Postby dimonyo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Admins,

Would it be better to transfer this post to the head-fi section?
dimonyo

Postby KD » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:10 pm

Moved.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby onedown » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:14 pm

dimonyo,

welcom to wiredstate. will you be using a head amp? the senn hd650 sounds best if paired with a head amp.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby Billabong » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 am

The HD650 in my opinion is not suited for a portable set-up. It's relatively big. It's an open design so sound will leak and you'll also hear all the noises around you.
Billabong
Citizen
Citizen

Postby MrB » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:22 am

Try the sennheiser hd280pro, it is a closed design,sounds excellent (however without the "airy" presentation that an hd600 has). Once the foam settles around your ear, it blocks the sound going in and out of the cup.

If you are using ipod as source, be sure to get the 64ohm version as you might pick up the 600ohm variant which is not suited to be driven by your ipod.

Happy listening!!
MrB

Postby dimonyo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks. Now looking into Sony walkman X + Senn IE8's.

Comments are very much appreciated.
dimonyo

Return to Head-Fi