The Jerry Harvey Audio Experience

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby marvinong » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 pm

First of all I would like to say hello to the WiredState Community! I'm a new member, and I heard about your site from my other beloved Headphiles.org board.
I'd like to share with you my experiences with Jerry Harvey Audio, and some photos, impressions and reviews.

And so.. I present to you..

Now, on to business, this Guide will be the WiredState Members' one-stop-shop for all things JH! I hope everyone will find this thread insightful and helpful when you have questions about JH Audio.

To further facilitate the thread, i've included a table of contents for the most important sections of this topic.

1.The Jerry Harvey Audio Experience
-A step-by-step guide to all those interested in purchasing JH Audio IEMs

2.The JH16 Initial Impressions Post
-A First Impressions post based on the first few hours of listening

3. The BIG JH16 Full-Spectrum Review (Part 1 up!)
-An in depth, scrutinizing review of the JH 16 Pros

4. Line Graph Comparison VS UE18s
-A head to head comparison of the top of the line custom IEMs out there today.

Scroll down and Enjoy!
Thanks sirs

--------

1.The Jerry Harvey Audio Experience

By: Marvin Ong

Before I post my reviews on the JH16 Pros, I’d just like to share my JH Audio experience for those who are also interested in having custom earpieces made by Jerry Harvey Audio.

First off for those who aren’t familiar, you may ask, What is JH Audio?

I was once ignorant as well, until I asked my friends on Headphiles.org, what the best custom monitors are. Fortunately, because of Sir Dogears, as well as many others who responded to my post, I found out that there was a certain company called JH Audio.

A little history: JH(or Jerry Harvey) is one of the founders of what is now Ultimate Ears. (The other founder, is THE Alex Van Halen). After years of building high quality IEMs, Jerry Harvey sold Ultimate Ears to Logitech in 2008. In 2009 he came back with his very own company Jerry Harvey Audio dedicated to creating Top-of-the-line IEMs and curiously, aviation audio.

After learning about this, I immediately thought of the quote “nothing beats the original”, and finally, my heart decided I should go with the person who started all this custom in-ear monitor hullaballoo.

For easy reference - here are the current custom IEM models of JH Audio:

2 Way Models:

JH 5 Pro at $399
Features single low and single high balanced armatures

JH 7 Pro at $699
Featuring dual low and single high balanced armatures.

JH 10 Pro also at $799
Featuring dual low and single high balanced armatures
(The differences from the JH 7 are only on lower input sensitivity and impedance)

3 Way Models:

JH 10X3 at $700
Featuring single low, single mid and single high balanced armatures

JH 11 Pro at $850
Featuring dual low, single mid, and single high balanced armatures with an integrated -way crossover.

JH 13 Pro at $1099 - (regarded by many as the best Custom In Ear Monitors out there)
Featuring dual low, dual mid, and dual high balanced armatures with an integrated 3 way crossover.

JH 16 Pro at $1149
Featuring DOUBLE dual lows, single dual mid and single dual high with an integrated 3 way crossover plus the only IEM with triple bores.

Now that you’ve chosen your model, what to do?

-First, find an audiologist to take your ear impressions.
Locally, we have Manila Hearing Aid (website) with several branches around the metro. In my experience, there are different rates in pricing an ear impression. I’ve read prices that reach up to 1,000Php in some branches.
I was lucky since the branch that I went to offered a 350Php per ear ear-impression.

-What’s more important though is that they follow the instructions from the JH Audio Audiologist’s Tip Sheet. This will allow JH Audio to accurately reproduce your ears to form a perfect fit and helix lock. For your convenience, here is the link for the Tip Sheet.

http://www.jhaudio.com/docs/tipSheet.pdf

-Finally, if you have any questions regarding artwork or anything about your JH monitors, you can contact the company through email or telephone and they will be happy to take your questions.

-This is one of the reasons why I also love JH Audio. Their customer service is exemplary. Jaime Harvey and Brittany Harvey are very kind and accommodating and reply almost immediately to any question posed to them through email. They are even better to talk to on the phone.

For your convenience, here are the important people to contact in JH Audio:

Brittany Harvey: brittany@jhaudio.com
Jaime Harvey: jaime@jhaudio.com
Artwork (Zac) : artwork@jhaudio.com
JH Audio Office : (818) 769-4713

I’ve gotten my ear impressions made, what do I do next?

-Place your order on the JH Audio Website.
I STRONGLY SUGGEST REGISTERING as this will allow you to track the status of your order in the future.
-Follow the instructions on ordering and choose your shell color, also indicate what should be written on the provided case.
-For other special requests, a comments or notes section is provided in the order form should you be interested in more customizations (i.e. 2 different shell colors) or any other requests from JH Audio.

Uh-oh, what do I place in the shipping address?

-Uh-oh indeed. It's more expensive shipping directly to the Philippines (+$70!!) PLUS a possibility of having your package held in Customs and charged when they get here.

-One solution I can suggest here is that if you have connections in the States (i.e. Relatives or friends), you can have it delivered to them using JH Audio’s various shipping options:

$10 for Ground Shipping - 7 to 10 days
$25 for Air Freight - 3 to 5 days
$35 for Next Day Delivery

-After your connections receive the package, it could be possible to ask them to use a service like Johnny Air Cargo to deliver it door to door to the Philippines for a fee.

-If unfortunately, you do not have connections in the US, you could have it delivered to one of Johnny Air Cargo’s offices. Though it is IMPORTANT to notify them beforehand so as to prevent losses or confusion. Unfortunately, it is your responsibility if the package is not received by Johnny Air Cargo. Although I doubt this happens often.

Okay, done that, what’s next?

-After this, JH Audio should send you an email confirmation as well as a receipt containing your order number. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Keep track and keep note of your order number.

-After ordering comes the shipping of the ear impressions.
Place the impressions in a sturdy box or case so as to prevent them being crushed or deformed in the shipping process.

-Outside the box, clearly state your name, and order number so as to quickly track the custom iem associated with your ear impressions.

Send your ear impressions to this address, exactly as stated:

JH AUDIO/ ATTN: Lab
1321 Apopka Airport Dr.
Unit 143
Apopka, FL 32712

Okay, I’ve sent them to the Lab, what to do next?

-Here’s where the waiting begins.
Using Johnny Air Cargo from the Philippines to Florida would probably take a week.
By the time JH Audio receives your molds, you should receive an email with the heading:
“Order Update - [order number]”
This will inform you of status updates regarding your order.
Examples of this are:
Earmolds Received
In The Lab
Shipped

-The status updates aren’t very consistent, as I’ve experienced.
Some customs even take just 1 day to build!! And once they’re done, they’re out the door!
Just to be sure, keep in constant communication with Britanny and Jamie to keep track of the order status.

I was so surprised when I saw this:

Finally, after all that waiting, you should have your customs in your hands in a month or less. (Mine lasted, 23 days).

I hope this little experience/ guide helped all of you who are thinking of purchasing your own customs from JH Audio.
If you have any questions or comments, shout ‘em out here! :)

--------

2.The JH16 Initial Impressions Post

JH16 Pro - Initial Impressions

This is an initial impression of the JH16s right as I got them out of the box.

Value: ***

I gave these monitors a 3-star value because these things really are expensive. I wouldn't call this the "perfect" monitor with the "perfect" sound you're looking for. But these do sound very very good. Nothing comes close to the quality you see and hear on these monitors.
If you have the budget, then go get it. If not, there are so many IEMs out there that will give you an amazing experience.

Audio Quality: ****

I haven't scrutinized the sound quality coming out of the 16s. But I must say this. Garbage in = Garbage out.
Feed the Jh16s with FLACs, 320kbps MP3s and you'll hear heavenly music.
Put on a 128kbps sample and watch your world fall apart.

Aside from that, all I can say is that these monitors give off amazing clarity and details.
As a singer and performer, I would want nothing less than accurate sounds off my band members and accompanying music. These things definitely deliver.

Design: *****

Nothing beats custom artwork.
The things you put on the monitors are yours and yours alone.
The designs on my unit are close to my heart.
JH Audio definitely delivered on this aspect.

Comfort: ****

There is the initial "learning curve" on how to put these custom earpieces in properly. (It took me about 10 minutes trying to fit the right earpiece in my ear).
Once they're locked in place, they're locked. The earpieces won't fall or let loose as long as you send in quality ear impressions.

Isolation: *****

Once you put them on, they'll block out noise more than any IEM i've tried. You won't feel deaf, but it surely blocks out all unecessary sound so that you can enjoy your music at lower levels of volume.

Overall: ****

A great buy if you have the budget. You won't be dissapointed in the JH16s, but again, there are great IEMs out there that can give you the bang for your buck.

If you desire clarity, details, and studio-like sound reproduction, go for these monitors. Just remember, garbage in = garbage out.

--------

3. The BIG JH16 Full-Spectrum Review (Part 1 up!)

Jerry Harvey Audio JH16 Pro Review
By: Marvin Ong

First off, I’d like to say that I’m not what you would call an “expert” when it comes to identifying sound reproduction. I just know that I like great music paired with great equipment that, most importantly, is portable.

I do not have the trained ears of a sound engineer. Nor do I have scrutinizing abilities that extend to every little detail from 60hz up. I will base this review on SUBJECTIVE opinion and will try my best not to use words that ‘perfume’ or ‘adorn’ this certain product.
IT DOESN’T MEAN THAT IF IT’S EXPENSIVE , IT’S GOOD.

I will come from neither a fan or hater viewpoint, and treat this product with fair judgement.
Hopefully, those who’ll read this review will be enticed or revolted from everything I state.

The review criteria is based on a great review/comparison article by warp08 from head-fi.org. Before every test, a definition of the criterion will be provided to help make the test process clearer.

Before anything else, the tools that will be used to scrutinize are:

TEST ALBUM/S:
Audiophile Reference 1 - Classical Music (available on FLAC torrent)
Frank Sinatra: 20 Classic Tracks
Linda Ronstadt: Round Midnight With Nelson Riddle
John Williams: Greatest Hits
The Killers: LIVE - At The Royal Albert Hall
The Killers: Sam’s Town

MUSIC FORMAT: FLAC 750+ kbps at 44kHz
PLAYBACK MEDIUM: Cowon J3 PMP with no equalizer or BBE+ setting

High Resolution Test - How accurately voices and instruments are rendered.
Test Track Used - “Someone To Watch Over Me” - Linda Ronstadt: Round Midnight

I’m very familiar with this song and I know Linda’s nuances. This is one of the few tracks that I’ve intensely listened to using my other IEMs.
With the test demanding that I listen to accurate musical representation of voices and instruments, I first turn to instruments that I’m familiar with. Namely the Piano and some winds.

The the flute doesn’t sound as “full” as I expected. Quite thin in the intro, but still, this could be a result of the instrument itself or the recording and mixing of the track.
The piano is beautifully rendered although mixed on the softer side. If I were a piano expert I bet I’d immediately be able to identify the brand and make of the piano through its sound signature.
Turning to the percussions, I can immediately tell that the percussionist is using a brush instead of drum sticks. Nice nuances from the hi-hats.
Linda’s voice sounds as beautiful as ever. Being a very clean singer in this album, it’s amazing to find “imperfections” (NOTE: NOT BAD IMPERFECTIONS). Imperfections meaning, swallowing points, vibrato consistency, some husky points. All of which complete Linda’s beautiful voice.
Overall, I think it does it’s job in accurate reproduction. BUT ONLY when it comes to music that is ripped at high bitrates. As I’ve said before, the JH16s are a garbage in=garbage out kind of audio equipment. It won’t make a Don’t Stop Believing track, ripped at 128kbps sound like something out of a studio or a live concert.
Feed your player and your monitors with excellently ripped audio and you’ll be sure to reap the rewards and juice out every bit from the 16s (or any other high quality audio equipment,for that matter).

Rating- *****

Depth Test - A sense of distance (near to far) of different instruments
Test Track Used: Jurassic Park Theme from John Williams: Greatest Hits

I love this track and have used it several times for different reviews on my IE8s and TF10s. Both of which perform admirably.
When I popped this track in I wasn’t expecting any grand revelation as I’ve heard this track many times already. I was surprised that the JH16s revealed how far the instruments were from each other as well as how big the recording hall must have been.

You can definitely “see” and feel how the horn section in the beginning of the piece is at the back of the winds section on the orchestra. The harp is just beside the winds section while the string section 1 is in front of the left side. The string section 2 is clearly on the right side while the iconic xylphone sound is at the back left-of-center. There are also horns on the back of the right side although they feature a much brighter mood than the ones of the left.

Based on what I’ve said above, you can definitely tell there is a sense of depth to the 16s. There is accurate representation of instrumental distances that is VERY VERY important when it comes to live performances.

Just a side note: Spot the number of floor creaks in the recording! You can hear wood expanding (or contracting) from the musicians’ weight.

Rating: *****

Atmosphere - Presence and Lushness of the source.
Test Track Used: “This Is Your Life” - The Killers: Live From The Royal Albert Hall

I decided to go with a track recorded live to see if the gigantic soundspace of the Royal Albert Hall in the U.K. Becomes evident in this recording. A word of caution on this recording though, I used the mixed version of the live recording and not the straight-from-video capture. (There are 2 versions floating around). So I don’t know if they tinkered with the sound here.

I was expecting Brandon Flowers’ voice to carry this piece, but alas, he sort of is “in-the-thick” of the sound. His voice bounces off the walls of a mini Royal Albert Hall inside my head. I can picture a mini ‘The Killers’ on a stage inside my head.
The synthesizer is on the left of the stage while the bass guitar is at the center and the lead is on the right. The drums are mixed somewhere on the back.

The drums seem muddy. The bass drum eats the snares for breakfast. And Mark Stoermer’s bass guitar eats David Keuning’s lead alive. The extra set of low drivers definitely show themselves here. Might be a bad thing. With this track anyway.

I don’t know if it was recorded like this but although the performance space is accurately reproduced, the magic of the performance is suddenly lost in the thick of things due to the low ranges somehow enveloping everything. Jerry Harvey was right in saying he added some headroom for the bass.

(Changes tracks from the same album here)
THE BASS IS DEFINITELY TOO LOUD ON THE RECORDING ABOVE.

Must find the engineer and tell him to lower Stoermer’s levels. It kills the magic.

--------------

Final Note: I changed to another live album - Spring Awakening: Live From SoHo. Bass is good on this. And the ‘small room’ atmosphere is definitely here.

Overall, the extra low drivers did TOO well in this test. Bad recordings and mixing of bass will sound worse with the 16s.. But balanced recordings retain their good qualities.

Rating - ***

Midrange Purity - The audio frequencies between about 250 Hz and 6000 Hz.
Test Track : “French Foreign Legion” - Frank Sinatra : 20 Classic Tracks

This is one of my favorite Frank Sinatra songs ever.
Wow. This recording is spine-tingling on the 16s. Just. Wow. I can hear and see ‘ol blue eyes singing into his mic as I hear every breath and nuance (most recordings these days were considered performances rather than “cut and paste” recordings).

I can’t decide how to describe his voice here. It’s like he’s on the stage in front of me and I’m in the first row. Or maybe I’m on the mixing console and he’s in the recording booth in front of me. Amazing amount of detail in the midrange here. Very natural.

The french horns and trumpets also retain their brassy quality. 
No bass overpowering quality here.
Very clear on the midrange.

Overall, a great midrange, with a super realistic vocal as well as clarity in instrument separation. Something I missed with my Triple.Fi 10s.

Rating - *****

Naturalness Test = Realism
Test Track: “Hush! The Angels Are Singing” from Audiophile Reference I

Another track where we can play “spot the floor creaks and coughs”.
I didn’t notice those wood creaks before and I literally trembled when I heard one of them behind me.
I already know, from the sound of the recording that this was recorded in an auditorium and not in a studio.
It retains that “auditorium” quality. The type of sound we hear when we attend recitals or classical concerts where every small sound is resonated around the hall.
You can clearly hear the Piano’s pedals being stepped on and released. You can hear the sustain bar release from the Piano’s strings.

The song starts with a lone woman singing. It sounds like I’m sitting inside one of them opera boxes and staring down at her from atop. Then when the choir behind her sings, it fills the whole auditorium. They DO sound like angels singing.

Overall, the 16s pass this test with flying colors. Like my other tests above, my ability to describe the surroundings, ‘sights’ and sounds of the recording only prove that the JH16s bring you close to the action, if not, INSIDE the action itself.

Rating - *****

--Here ends part 1--

Watch out for part 2 guys!

-------

4. Line Graph Comparison VS UE18s

JH 16 vs UE 18 ;)

Taken from PCMAG.COM

JH Audio JH16 Pro: JH Audio JH16 Pro vs. Ultimate Ears UE 18 Pro
Compared with the (somehow) more expensive Ultimate Ears UE 18 Pro, the JH 16 Pro has a drastically different sound signature with more low frequency response (the left side of graph) and a peak around 7kHz that lends a certain shimmer to its output. The JH 16 Pro has a whopping eight drivers per ear; the UE 18 Pro has six (which is also a lot), but don't take those numbers as meaning "more bass".The JH 16 Pro is the more bass-strong pair, but both pairs offer tremendous detail throughout the frequency rang

JH Audio JH16 Pro : JH Audio JH 16 Pro vs. Ultimate Ears UE 18 Pro
The UE 18 Pro does not fair nearly as well in the linear frequency response test, with left and right ears deviating rather significantly in the lowest frequencies.

--------
Last edited by marvinong on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marvinong

Re: The Jerry Harvey Audio Experience

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Wow, thanks for posting such a detailed review.

I'm actually looking to enhance my iPad experience so this review came with perfect timing.

I used to be so in on headphone knowledge back when the likes of Sennheiser HD600 and AKG K1000 were top dogs. But I've since just enjoyed the music.
rtsyrtsy

Postby marvinong » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Wow, thanks for posting such a detailed review.

I'm actually looking to enhance my iPad experience so this review came with perfect timing.

I used to be so in on headphone knowledge back when the likes of Sennheiser HD600 and AKG K1000 were top dogs. But I've since just enjoyed the music.

That's great sir rtsy!
I just started out about 2 months ago with this whole audiophile (head-fi) thing.
I learned the hard way though, as I kept on buying IEMs before I heard about Jerry Harvey Audio.
I just decided to take the leap and just go for the most top-of-the-line IEMs so that I wouldn't keep on spending anymore.

I hope you found this guide/review helpful.
If you have any questions about the process of getting one of these, feel free to ask me or post them here sir!

Thanks sir rtsy!
marvinong

Postby onedown » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 am

nice review. thanks for sharing.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby joe3rp » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:36 am

Sir,
How would you compare this IE to the stock IPOD ear or a Shure 310, 410 or other in Ear phones? or maybe a standard Hi-end Headphone!
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 am

Very good review Harvey! Insightful and very comprehensive :)

I like your choice of test albums too 8)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 pm

onedown wrote:nice review. thanks for sharing.

Thank you sir onedown.
marvinong

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:34 pm

joe3rp wrote:Sir,
How would you compare this IE to the stock IPOD ear or a Shure 310, 410 or other in Ear phones? or maybe a standard Hi-end Headphone!

Hi sir joe!

First of all, from a features standpoint, the iPod in-ear earphones use a a 2-way BA, while the 310 has 1 BA and the 410 has a 2-way BA, while the JH16 Pros uses 8 BAs in each ear.

Second, from the construction standpoint, the iPod earphones in my experience are quite weak, as I've gone through 2 pairs of them before. I have had experiences with Shure's 110 series which feature the same construction and I can say that the Shures are quite sturdy. The construction of the JH16s though are handmade, and come out in acrylic shells.

From a sound standpoint, I don't think the iPod earphones are in the league of the Shure 310s and 410s. The 310s/410s would probably closer to the Shure SE530s in performance, which are very good IEMs. In the case of the JH16s, it also has a different league altogether and can only be compared to other custom earpieces which consist of the UE18 and the Westone ES5. I also don't think that most IEMs can compare to a full-sized headphone, although IEMs like the Sennheiser IE8 and even the JH16(sometimes) feel like you're wearing full-sized cans.

Lastly, from a price standpoint, the iPod in-ear earphones are $79, the Shure 310 at $217, the Shure 410 at roughly the same price of $200, while the JH16 Pros are $1,200. Not to brag about the price, although I believe that you do get what you pay for. In the case of the JH16s though, I was a little bit disappointed since I thought that the sound coming from it would knock other IEMs out of the water. I was wrong here as I still keep my old IEMs cause the JH16s fell below my expectations. But all in all, still happy with this buy.

I do think that this will be the last or if ever, one of the last audio products i'll ever buy since I invested too much into this hobby of ours already. :D.

But still, as for every earphone, I believe in sticking with what you love. No matter what the price may be. Even if your earphones are the stock iPod earpieces or full-sized cans, no one can take that preference and that love away from you.
marvinong

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:35 pm

JackD201 wrote:Very good review Harvey! Insightful and very comprehensive :)

I like your choice of test albums too 8)

Sir, my name is Marvin! hehe. Jerry Harvey Audio is the name of the company! hehe. :D
Thank you though sir Jack. :)
marvinong

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Hahahaha! Sorry! May kaklase ako na Harvey Ong dati :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:10 pm

JackD201 wrote:Hahahaha! Sorry! May kaklase ako na Harvey Ong dati :lol:

hehe. :) no problem sir jack!
marvinong

Postby Audiogeek » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:51 pm

marvinong wrote:Top-of-the-line IEMs

marvinong wrote:custom in-ear monitor

nice post marvin.

in-ear phones are really not new. this was pioneered by sony with their walkman
product before (no ipods yet). accompanying this unit is a small earphone that
shapes like a bean and fits really inside the inner hole of your ear. literally. it is
different from a flatface earphone.

here's the catch. you dont actually hear the music coming from any external source
unlike what we normally experienced while listening to music at home or in a bar.
the sound simply reverbirates and is processed inside the audio chamber of our brain
as if it is actuallycoming from inside. cover and slightly press the earphones with your
hands, it's a complete silence. i liked the music very much. but i dont know why sony
did not continue the product. seguro pang tanggal mo, meron kasama naka dikit. or,
it is :) probably dangerous. :)

cheers.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Audiogeek wrote:
marvinong wrote:Top-of-the-line IEMs

marvinong wrote:custom in-ear monitor

nice post marvin.

in-ear phones are really not new. this was pioneered by sony with their walkman
product before (no ipods yet). accompanying this unit is a small earphone that
shapes like a bean and fits really inside the inner hole of your ear. literally. it is
different from a flatface earphone.

here's the catch. you dont actually hear the music coming from any external source
unlike what we normally experienced while listening to music at home or in a bar.
the sound simply reverbirates and is processed inside the audio chamber of our brain
as if it is actuallycoming from inside. cover and slightly press the earphones with your
hands, it's a complete silence. i liked the music very much. but i dont know why sony
did not continue the product. seguro pang tanggal mo, meron kasama naka dikit. or,
it is :) probably dangerous. :)

cheers.

Indeed! I've been using In Ears for quite some time now. It's just now that UE and JH are riding on the boom of custom earpieces.
I do think that it's actually dangerous to use these IEMs. That is, if used in very very loud volumes and if not properly fitted into your ear canal.
I once had an incident where an eartip got stuck inside my ears. Good thing I had something to remove it with or else I wouldve gone to the doctor.

But the good thing with handmade custom earpieces is that it has no moving parts and is molded perfectly to fit your ears with a tight seal.
marvinong

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Malamang yan yung dati kong officemate. Wines & spirits na ba negosyo niya ngayon?

Marvin,

By any chance, might you be able to describe the differences between your magnificent looking IEMs (one bears my surname in Chinese) and say the Shure E530 or other readily available headphones like a Sennheiser HD600?

I have both the Shure and the HD600 (as well as an AKG K1000) and I'm curious what dimensions a JH brings to my stable.

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:21 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:

Malamang yan yung dati kong officemate. Wines & spirits na ba negosyo niya ngayon?

Marvin,

By any chance, might you be able to describe the differences between your magnificent looking IEMs (one bears my surname in Chinese) and say the Shure E530 or other readily available headphones like a Sennheiser HD600?

I have both the Shure and the HD600 (as well as an AKG K1000) and I'm curious what dimensions a JH brings to my stable.

Cheers!

Hi cousin! hehe. Our original surname was "Sy" as well, and that's how I write my chinese surname, that's why I made them inscribe it on the JH16s. They did the artwork really well!
I actually meant for it to look like a Philippine Flag. That's why the blue earpiece has the 3 stars and the sun on them. :)

Differences are - SE530 is a UNIVERSAL IEM and has 3 Balanced Armature Drivers. The Senns are full sized cans and I haven't had the chance to give them a listen yet.
The JH16 Pros on the other hand are CUSTOM IEMs which means they only fit my ears and no one elses. The JH16s also have 8 Balanced Armature Drivers.

Also, a big price difference:
Shure SE530 - $540
Sennheiser HD600 -$285
JH16 Pros - $1,200

To quote the JH Audio website:

Introducing the JH16Pro, the latest innovation from JH Audio’s Pro Series. The first 8 driver, 3 way, triple bore earpiece on the planet. Designed for Pros and Audiophiles alike, the JH16 has all of the soundstage, accuracy and transient response you’ve come to expect from JH Audio

Inside the 16, JH Audio’s proprietary single dual high, single dual mid and double dual low drivers terminate into a triple bore. This triple bore allows us to double the low frequency drivers for lower distortion, increased headroom and greater detail and accuracy in the low frequencies.

Here are some other beautiful custom artwork they did on other earpieces:

marvinong

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks! I was actually hoping for a description of the differences sound character, assuming of course that you've tried the different headphones.

For me kasi, amongst the three, I like the HD600 the best for simply enjoying the music, the AKG K1000 for critical listening (because it is more revealing), and the SE530 is my choice when I'm in a noisy environment (gym, plane, etc.). I've not really compared the Shures vs. the HD600 and the K1000 using the same source and amp.

Where in Manila did you get your ear impression done? I might get one for myself next time I'm home.

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Postby marvinong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:32 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Thanks! I was actually hoping for a description of the differences sound character, assuming of course that you've tried the different headphones.

For me kasi, amongst the three, I like the HD600 the best for simply enjoying the music, the AKG K1000 for critical listening (because it is more revealing), and the SE530 is my choice when I'm in a noisy environment (gym, plane, etc.). I've not really compared the Shures vs. the HD600 and the K1000 using the same source and amp.

Where in Manila did you get your ear impression done? I might get one for myself next time I'm home.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to listen to the aforementioned ear/headphones. I do know though that Doc_RJ from headphiles had his Shure SE530s remolded into custom earpieces and added 3 more drivers, making them have a total of 6 BAs.

He had a go with my JH16s and found that he still preferred the warmth of the SE530s. The JH16s are quite bright, as you've seen the peaks in the line graph I presented above. But also very booming when it comes to bass. So it's the both ends of the sound spectrum. Quite bright but explosive in bass as well. I would say that they sound more like the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi10 IEMs.

I got my ear impressions done in Manila Hearing Aid sir RT!

I provided a guide above on how to get your own pair of JH16s, if ever you push through with getting them, that guide will help you step-by-step! :D
marvinong

Return to Head-Fi