IEM's known for midrange clarity

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

IEM's known for midrange clarity

Postby marty_e » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

What IEM brand(s) would be known for midrange clarity? I've been reading reviews lately and many seem to render sound as if in "V" formation in an equalizer, meaning extended bass and treble. This is probably an offshoot of what is known to a sought after quality in DJ oriented cans. I have yet to come across a review of a brand that touts its midrange palpability or its vocal rendition. Would you guys know of in ear phones that are reputed for the qualities I mentioned? I know this is a tall order but ther there IE monitors in the BBC Tradition of sound presentation?

PS Has anyone tried JAYS? http://www.jaysearphones.co.uk/
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: IEM's known for midrange clarity

Postby JackD201 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:29 pm

I'm partial to etymotics Marts. I use mine for watching movies on an ipod touch in flight. Dialogue is clearest amongst all of the IEMs I've tried so far.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby detubo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 pm

i was happy with my entry shure e2c until the wire went loose. after 3 years so ok na rin. tone is in the warm camp. great for dialogue
detubo
Master
Master

Postby Gino » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Head-direct.com have a good selection of home brew iems. They are based in China. Given the less than stellar output of my iPod Touch 2G, I got the RE2. A bit thin but very good balance and mids. It's close but not quite like a depodded Altec IM716 which sounds like Etymotic ER-4. It's non-fatiguing and shy of being analytical. Present bass but lacking. They have higher models for the RE series like the RE0. The lower the number, the higher the model.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marty_e » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:20 pm

hey Jack who is the local dealer for that? I'm actually looking for one for movies since wifey got her iPad. Thanks detubs and Gino, I'll look into those as well! Any other suggestions are welcome.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimebag » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 am

Have to agree with detubo. Been using the Shure e2c for some time now and have been very happy with sound quality.
dimebag
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 am

marty, I believe there are a couple of Jays user sa kabilang forum. I'm not a fan of Shure IEM, I've tried a few for music, and just don't like 'em... up to IE7 yan. I have not found yet, an IEM that sounded like my Senn HD201 that I hook up to my Samsung LCD TV on its headphone out. Crystal Clear audio, kahit pa naghuhukay MWSS sa labas ng bahay.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:13 am

marty_e wrote:hey Jack who is the local dealer for that? I'm actually looking for one for movies since wifey got her iPad. Thanks detubs and Gino, I'll look into those as well! Any other suggestions are welcome.

Hmmm. Not sure. I got mine at the Apple store. Wanna make pabilin? I'm here in the States now.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dogears » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Marty, you may want to try Shure E500 or SE530.
For clarity - Etymotics ER4P <- 'sounds like' NHT SuperZeroes i.e. no bass.
dogears
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 am

For IEMs madali mag timpla...

I have a very bassys JVC marshmallow, I can make sound with no bass at all. I can make my Woody One sound great for Dance and pound my eardrums, or I can make it sound with no bass for hearing out voice recodings.

How? Play with the tips and ear placement. Simple, free tweak.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Gino » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 am

Also consider if you will be using it un-amped. Some great sounding iems have low head room. When I modded my IM716 I believe I settled with 32ohms. 16 was loud but very muddy. The Etymotic ER4 series have adaptors to vary impedance. S has higher impedance. P lower and is meant for iPods.

Another aspect is seal. These come with either single or multi-flange ear seals or expanding foam (like Shure). While they vary in noise isolation, they greatly differ in sound quality even in quiet environments. It comes down to preference. foams wear out and get dirty so keep these in stock.

I've used Shure E3C iems before. While at first its seems lively with brilliant highs and decent bass, I soon realize it was thin sounding. The Etymotic ER-4S was more for me. I am sure these brands have newer models by now.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marty_e » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Doggie, I'll look around for the Shure. I guess Odyssey record stores have these, right?

Thanks Gino, although what you described is still Greek to me, let me research further. At this point, plug and play is where I'm at.

JackD201, til when will you be there (Hawaii ba or mainland?) ? Let me decide quickly. Pabili naman ng Shake Shack Cheeseburger...

Thanks guys!

PS Etymotic's are in the USD299 range! Waaay out of budget for me, Captain Jack. Pass muna
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby onedown » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 pm

marty, aside from odyssey stores, apple stores also have shures.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby keith » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm

HK has an Etymotic version. As doggyears said, medyo lacking bass lang nga. I remember getting a pair at the JBL store in High Street. I'd sell 'em to you but my daughter loves em so much she said its hers now. :lol:
keith
walastick

Postby Mamimili » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:15 pm

:$ A word of warning about using an efficient IEM in flight....
I should have known better but after a few hours of free champers i was impatient to try out my brand new Livewires, i set the volume to zero and plugged into the planes audio, turned the volume to "1" and thought my eardrums had burst and the IEM's were probably fried.
I must have made quite a noise as people were looking at me and the steward came running, not that i could hear anything he said :$
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby conspicuous » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 pm

i'm using senn cx550. Midrange is quite good but initially i felt it was bass heavy or midrange too warm. But like speaker placement, fiddling with placement in ear i found the sweet spot :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:18 am

marty_e wrote:Doggie, I'll look around for the Shure. I guess Odyssey record stores have these, right?

Yup, pero holdaprice :D I-odishun mo na lang dito then if you like it - pabilin ka na lang kay Chief Jack ;)
dogears
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am

Naka toe-in ba Conspi? :D

@Doggy, 'di ba meron sa TipidPC? Or how about Leonard?
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:39 am

Wala sa user items niya eh. Not sure if you can order though.

@Marty, you can get in touch with him and odishun some of his IEMs. He does give warranties on his items \m/ Try mo yung mga Senn IEns and Westones ;)
dogears
Master
Master

Return to Head-Fi