Headphone recommendations within the $200-$300 range...

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Re: Headphone recommendations within the $200-$300 range...

Postby rossifumi46 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:56 pm

the HF2s are indeed nice but 27k is stretching my budget a bit too much:) hehehe thanks for the offer... OT u mentioned uve gone portables... what did you get or what do you intend to get if your looking for more or less the same sound signature...
good soundstaging and separation of instruments, warm mids...
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Wed May 26, 2010 5:33 pm

[whispers: planar] :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby Racio » Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 pm

rossifumi46 wrote:the HF2s are indeed nice but 27k is stretching my budget a bit too much:) hehehe thanks for the offer... OT u mentioned uve gone portables... what did you get or what do you intend to get if your looking for more or less the same sound signature...

It's been 3 years since I bought my current portable rig, even then, I'm still "enjoying" (an understatement) every minute I spend with my Alessandro MS-Pro (modded with Liberators/Distancers) and TTVJ Millett Hybrid portable valved amp (damped tubes). And if you leave me unimpeded, I'll most probably rant and rave here endlessly about the glorious synergy I found with this pairing. Truth be told, I'm a such a sucker for midband repro, and its opulently detailed and alluring midband simply breathes life into the music, it's certainly one of the hallmark of the Grado/Alessandro house sound. ;)

Headstage-wise, some may deem these cans to be too "in your face", but to me, it's this very trait, the intimate aural perspective it evokes is what I adore about them, I'm helplessly addicted to it. Even before I delved into headphilia, I've come to terms that I can't seem to ruse my brain into thinking that I'm listening to floor standing speakers inside a proper listening room whilst using headphones, my mind simply won't allow it. Even with the Stax, as soon as my brain settles and gets a fix of things, the illusion inevitably disappears. That's why I'd often brush aside talks of headphone related soundstage width, because to me, it's all overly hyped. Perhaps one day someone will lend me a pair of K1000s or HD800s, and maybe it'll push me to turn leaf. But for now, I really couldn't care less, I'm having too much fun. :)

dogears wrote:[whispers: planar] :lol:

hehe. I'm still trying to convince myself about them pare, they're intriguing like hell and it keeps me in touch with the goings on in this hobby of ours. ;)
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rossifumi46 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:29 pm

Racio wrote:
rossifumi46 wrote:the HF2s are indeed nice but 27k is stretching my budget a bit too much:) hehehe thanks for the offer... OT u mentioned uve gone portables... what did you get or what do you intend to get if your looking for more or less the same sound signature...

It's been 3 years since I bought my current portable rig, even then, I'm still "enjoying" (an understatement) every minute I spend with my Alessandro MS-Pro (modded with Liberators/Distancers) and TTVJ Millett Hybrid portable valved amp (damped tubes). And if you leave me unimpeded, I'll most probably rant and rave here endlessly about the glorious synergy I found with this pairing. Truth be told, I'm a such a sucker for midband repro, and its opulently detailed and alluring midband simply breathes life into the music, it's certainly one of the hallmark of the Grado/Alessandro house sound. ;)

Headstage-wise, some may deem these cans to be too "in your face", but to me, it's this very trait, the intimate aural perspective it evokes is what I adore about them, I'm helplessly addicted to it. Even before I delved into headphilia, I've come to terms that I can't seem to ruse my brain into thinking that I'm listening to floor standing speakers inside a proper listening room whilst using headphones, my mind simply won't allow it. Even with the Stax, as soon as my brain settles and gets a fix of things, the illusion inevitably disappears. That's why I'd often brush aside talks of headphone related soundstage width, because to me, it's all overly hyped. Perhaps one day someone will lend me a pair of K1000s or HD800s, and maybe it'll push me to turn leaf. But for now, I really couldn't care less, I'm having too much fun. :)

hehe. I'm still trying to convince myself about them pare, they're intriguing like hell and it keeps me in touch with the goings on in this hobby of ours. ;)

now you've got me second guessing myself on pulling the trigger with the akg k701's... what im really looking for is the midband reproduction of ls35a ... if this is close to what the Grados provide then i might have to put the k701's on hold... naleleto na ako... in any case a friend of mine is going to West Covina Cali 4 days from now... she can get me a pair from there but i don't know where to point here to buy... any suggestions?
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Racio » Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 am

rossifumi46 wrote:
Racio wrote:

now you've got me second guessing myself on pulling the trigger with the akg k701's... what im really looking for is the midband reproduction of ls35a ... if this is close to what the Grados provide then i might have to put the k701's on hold... naleleto na ako... in any case a friend of mine is going to West Covina Cali 4 days from now... she can get me a pair from there but i don't know where to point here to buy... any suggestions?

It's been such a long time since I last listened to them LS35a (I think it was Francis' pair), and from what I recall they had this uncanny neutrality across the board on top of a surprisingly punchy and hefty bass coming from such a small driver-enclosure, more Alessandro-like than Grado, that is if memory serves me right. You know what, nothing beats actual experience than mere armchair reviewing, let your own ears decide, hence, I strongly suggest that you give them a whirl even for a short while and run down to Eric Lim's shop at Rockwell. They don't have Alessandros but they're the local distributors for Grados, I'm sure they'll let you demo their gears. ;)

Store in L.A.? Sorry, I can't help you there. I usually do my shopping online.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

LS35a... after checking the Alessandro's - pls check Sennheiser. If you are open to IEMs, check the SE530. Full headphone: HD600 and its siblings.
Yes, you can do your shopping online - iwas tax(?).
dogears
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 am

LS35a is ok mids with bass hump. When I tried the Alessandro, doesn't seem so.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Racio » Fri May 28, 2010 12:51 am

arnoldc wrote:LS35a is ok mids with bass hump. When I tried the Alessandro, doesn't seem so.

There you go, I stand corrected then. The Alessandro's certainly doesn't really have much of a bass hump, but the Grado does.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rossifumi46 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:29 am

dogears wrote:LS35a... after checking the Alessandro's - pls check Sennheiser. If you are open to IEMs, check the SE530. Full headphone: HD600 and its siblings.
Yes, you can do your shopping online - iwas tax(?).

am open to IEM's as well... almost got tempted by the offer of dranoel with tf10 but when i wanted to place my order ubos na yung stock ng first batch, naabutan ako ng price increase...
also after seeing rigs at the other forum i feel that i get better value with headphones since i am not really after portability... :)
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Postby markenranosa » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Guys!

I'm new here,.. do you have any idea where I can buy senn HD800 here sa pinas?

Cheers!

Ken
markenranosa

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:38 am

markenranosa wrote:Hi Guys!

I'm new here,.. do you have any idea where I can buy senn HD800 here sa pinas?

Cheers!

Ken

They're available at Listening Room SM Megamall, Php 75k IIRC.
Azathoth
Citizen
Citizen

Postby soLoBaric » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:38 am

What's a good closed cans? Particularly no leakage at all. Any recommendations? Thanks
soLoBaric

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:04 pm

Racio wrote:Perhaps one day someone will lend me a pair of K1000s or HD800s, and maybe it'll push me to turn leaf.

You are welcome to my K1000 anytime.

Even with these "ear speakers," I'm totally with you on the sound / head stage not being a very big factor to enjoy head-philing--or even stereo speakers for that matter.

I have a bit more to say about IEMs but I'll do so later as I have to run to a meeting now...
rtsyrtsy

Postby bono vox » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:13 am

grado 325is. ;)
bono vox
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Head-Fi