Do all iPod's sound the same?

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Do all iPod's sound the same?

Postby marty_e » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:35 pm

Stupid question but do all iPod's sound the same? - all else being equal. I think it's time to update my 30gb U2 ipod since people look at me like I'm using a walkman. Will an ipod touch sound the same as a classic etc...
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Do all iPod's sound the same?

Postby arnoldc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 pm

No, at least in technical merit because of the differences in the chip used ;)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm

For me, I like the sound quality of the U2 model than the newer ones. But if you are after the memory size, its another story.

Dress it up with a black skin and it will camouflage the thick size.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marty_e » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:43 pm

thanks guys. So which ones do you like? Prof, do these various models have sonic characteristics that you know of?
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby nicole » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 pm

arnoldc wrote:No, at least in technical merit because of the differences in the chip used ;)

Sir Arnold ano DAC ng 160GB?
Thanks..
nicole
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Compared my iPhone with my old iPod Photo and it's so much better. I think Jack compared his new one with the old ones too and there was a diff.
keith
walastick

Postby Mamimili » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:37 pm

No.
In my own experience with older generations, 2gb nano sounds slightly better than a U2 20gb (same vintage) and both sound a lot better than a 2007 160gb ipod.
iriver clix gen 2 sounds far better than all of them, but it's only 8gb.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Gino » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:50 pm

I don't get critical when listening to iPods. I know their limitations. I just listen and just enjoy the music. Laman tiyan. I chose an iPod Touch 1st gen for its other functions like being an excellent wifi browser via my Nokia N78 and Joikuspot Lite. Sound was just an added feature. I paired my iPod Touch with a Head-Direct RE2 in-ear monitors. Nice combo. Good head room. I am upgrading it soon to a 3rd gen iPod Touch.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 pm

marty_e wrote:Stupid question but do all iPod's sound the same? - all else being equal. I think it's time to update my 30gb U2 ipod since people look at me like I'm using a walkman. Will an ipod touch sound the same as a classic etc...

agree. if it has no difference, then it is not an upgrade. after i fried my ipod left inside my car while playing 5hours in the fairway, i have no more interest in looking for a replacement ipod.

have you tried Zune? a microsoft product using lossless audio format. problem is its not marketed outside the US. but i was able to get a good pre-owned unit. I reserved to comment which brand is better. after all these portable items are here to be enjoyed.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby abiedoodles » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:42 pm

flash memory ipod type (1-8gb) sounds better than hard drive type (20gb- above) because of the noise created by hard drive type.
abiedoodles
Citizen
Citizen

Postby troporobo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:11 am

abiedoodles wrote:flash memory ipod type (1-8gb) sounds better than hard drive type (20gb- above) because of the noise created by hard drive type.

Really? You've tried this side by side and found this result? I'd like to know the details.

Because I have tried the exact same files using same Etymotic Er-4s with a 160 Gb Classic, an 8 Gb Touch, and 4 Gb and 8 Gb Nanos (yes we are Apple fanboys / fangirls in my house). I'll be buggered if I can hear the hard drive in the Classic, or any significant difference between the flash memory players. Maybe with a pocket amp better than the FiiO E5 that I have here. I think not however
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:27 am

keith wrote:Compared my iPhone with my old iPod Photo and it's so much better. I think Jack compared his new one with the old ones too and there was a diff.

Dare I say it? It was Keith that snuck this one on me when he jacked into my system. Yes. The difference is rather surprising. When comparing my 60G classic to my iPhone 3G there was a very noticeable reduction in compression. The net effect is a wider relative dynamic range, a sense of space I thought mp3s and AAC was not capable of and some serious sweetness in upper registers that while not what I would call "accurate", is very very pleasing. Because of this the 60G is going out to pasture aka relegated to permanent assignment to my car, where if I forget to bring the iT I'm not stuck with the CDs in the changer that have been there for over a year or the iPhone which managed a scrawny 6 20 song playlists. In it's place I got the 62G iTouch. The added functionality of the iTouch for games and use as a remote for the SONOS system I'll be setting up with Bogart is another reason for my move.

I avoided the iTouch for a long time because of the low storage. My current digital file collection is over 7000 songs and a shade under 50G but has slowed down considerably in it's growth. On the flipside, it has grown too large for the wheel (which I loved) for the wheel interface to stay practical. Active search functions and the enhanced on the fly playlist making capability that that brings has along with ample storage made the iTouch FINALLY a viable storage and playback solution. The fact that it really does sound better to my ears is the best gravy.

By the way, the sonic gains were just as apparent in the car (Ford Expedition) as it was with the VR-9s via the Tascam X-9's line input.

All this is through the headphone outputs. As for the digital output, I really can't say as I haven't attempted to use a bit stream stripping device into a DAC and most likely won't anyway.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby endrik35 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 am

I agree that they sound different and that is because of the different sound chips that were used. Most Ipod afficionados claim that the 1st gen Ipod shuffle has the best sound of all. Anyway, had experienced with 1st to 2nd gen ipod nano,almost same SQ. 3rd gen ipod shuffle, worse SQ, my Ipod classic 120gb, still lame SQ. But with functionality and ease of use, you can't beat an Ipod. So the Ipods I use only sa kotse for its large song capacity tapos bahala na yung sound enhancement nung Alpine to remove the dynamic compression. Recently sold an Iriver P7 in the selling section and it outperforms any Ipod imho. Anyway, my old trusty flash based Iriver t30 beats the P7 in terms of SQ. But for me, the best and most treasured mp3 I own is my jurassic yet trusty Cowon Iaudio x5L which is only 30gb but has an SQ to die for! Paired ith my old and trusty Grado Sr80 and a Project headphone amp, dun lang ako sa veranda, konting beer at yosi eh ayos na! he he ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:42 am

I like Sansa Fuze :D
marty_e wrote:thanks guys. So which ones do you like? Prof, do these various models have sonic characteristics that you know of?

There is one guy whom I'll call an authority in iPod SQ, Kenckn, who has about a dozen iPods (if he stopped buying already). Last time he texted me, he's looking for a Fuze :P

Nicole, better send him a PM. ;)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby onedown » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:40 am

i think ken has mentioned before his preferences regarding the sonic qualities of the different versions of ipods. just can't remember the thread. oh, yeah, aside from ipods and other portable digital audio players, he also has dozens of headphones plus a several head amps. :)
onedown
Master
Master

Postby muypogi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:55 am

marty_e wrote:Stupid question but do all iPod's sound the same? - all else being equal. I think it's time to update my 30gb U2 ipod since people look at me like I'm using a walkman. Will an ipod touch sound the same as a classic etc...

AFAIK, best sound from iPods come from the docking port and not from the headphone outs. . .

But for me, the larger Ipod models have better SQ vs the smaller ones. My Ipod Video 5.5gen sounds better than my wife's nano, using either the dock or headphone outputs.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:16 am

definitely no.

i got a few months ago a 120gb iPod (dont know model) to replace an old (40 or 60gb) unit which was not working well with the wadia. the older model sounded better! and then i read somewhere an article comparing the different models which confirms my observations...

so newer does NOT always mean better..
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby marty_e » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 am

Guys thanks for all the feedback. It seems the iPhone could be an option but I'm not too keen on a phone with out tactile responce in the keyboard. Perhaps the iPod touch could also be an option. While i do not critically listen to an iPod, it would be nice to get a better sounding one than a crappy one... Keep 'em coming though as I have not seen this type of discussion in many fora
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby onedown » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:15 am

i'll have to agree with vd that newer isn't necessarily better, at least sq wise. in the case of portable cd players, newer models seeemed to be designed for extended battery life and compactness, sacrificing sq, particularly with the headphone out. older pdcps have more robust headphone outs.

i have a feeling that it's the same case in some portable digital audio players.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby hypertriode » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:32 am

vintage_dog wrote:definitely no.

i got a few months ago a 120gb iPod (dont know model) to replace an old (40 or 60gb) unit which was not working well with the wadia. the older model sounded better! and then i read somewhere an article comparing the different models which confirms my observations...

so newer does NOT always mean better..

Same observations here on the Wadia transport. Here's MY order of preference, No. 1 being best overall:

1. Nano 4G, 1st Gen
2. Nano 8G, 2nd Gen
3. Classic 120G
4. Touch 64G

Haven't made comparos using headphones though. This might seem off topic, sorry.
Last edited by hypertriode on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hypertriode
Grand Master

Next

Return to Head-Fi