Sennheiser IE7

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Sennheiser IE7

Postby dranoel4190 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:08 am

hello headfi gurus. long time no post :D

just wana share my new toy. just got them yesterday. :)
as of now im running them overnight and will see how the sound changes. headfi recommends around 80-100hrs of burn-in but i will probably use them along the way. will provide impressions after i listen for them in a while

some unboxing pics. sorry for the crappy camphone pics. ill try to get better shots in natural lighting.

dynamic rules!! :rock: :P
dranoel4190
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Sennheiser IE7

Postby arnoldc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:39 am

Welcome back!

Wow, a $300 earphone! Would appreciate your upcoming impressions about it.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:31 am

Who cares about the shots? :D Pls post your impressions soon.... and congrats :clap:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby insyte » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 am

Congrats on your new toy sir :)
insyte
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby MonJovi » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 am

Nice. Is this the one with adjustable bass? Hope to hear your feedback soon.
MonJovi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby reorx » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:18 am

any reason you chose this instead of the ie8? I havent been reading up on the ie series, so i dont know what the pros and cons are between the ie6, ie7 and ie8
reorx
Citizen
Citizen

Postby insyte » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:19 pm

reorx wrote:any reason you chose this instead of the ie8? I havent been reading up on the ie series, so i dont know what the pros and cons are between the ie6, ie7 and ie8
Yup most reviews are on the IE8 :)
insyte
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dranoel4190 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:25 am

with all the inears ive tried, all i can say is that im really a sennheiser fanboy hehe. im really fond of their sound sig - warm, darkish and laidback.

i currently have the triple.fi 10pro and though i enjoy them, id always look for that extra slam on the bass. it kinda loses the "fun" factor for me. not to mention the bad ergonomics of ue.

first impressions.. i would say the ie series are one of the best in soundstaging. i havent heard the ie8 yet but the ie7 is very airy and i really like how they place different parts of the music. vocals are in the front in a slightly elevated stage. not too near (a few seats back) for a more laidback sound. different instruments have different layering like you can can place their positions in a room. instrument separation is great.

my first impressions is that the bass is one of its strongest point. tight, full sounding and can go really low for an iem. decay is imo spot on. it doesnt in any way muddle the mids and highs. mids are not that recessed (compared to the lower end senn cx inears). i can now hear some nuances thats not present in my cx500. btw, guitar plucks/rifts on these are amazing. they sound really good for an iem. as for the highs, theyre extra crisp and sparkly. not too much "in-your-face" so its not fatiguing at all. though a little less sparkly than my tf10pro, i think im willing to sacrifice that for the added bass impact.

i have run them for about 20hrs now so i hope they still improve with more burnin :)
dranoel4190
Citizen
Citizen

Postby insyte » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks for your impressions Sir Dranoel. Can you comment on the comfort? Im guessing its probably more comfortable than the triple.fi which is huge for an IEM. And can you also comment on the accessories that came with it. Thanks :)
insyte
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dranoel4190 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 pm

@MonJovi
nope thats the IE8

@reorx
based from my initial readings, they said the main difference between the two is the bigger soundstage of the IE8 and the adjustable bass. seeing how much the discrepancy in price thats why i opted for the IE7 instead. and my other reason is that imo the IE7 looks so much better than the IE8 :D

but after hearing the IE7, now im getting curious how much improvement the IE8 is. must resist the itch hehe

@insyte
comfort is superb. theyre very light and you wont even notice youre wearing them. theyre not deep inserting so its easy to put on and remove. another big mention is that they almost have nill microphonics. the cable is soft translucent rubber - soft enough that its very bendable (unlike the ue cables) but looks very durable. the materials used, quality of construction and finish is topnotch! i wish i had a good cam so i can take macro shots

accessories includes:
carrying case
earhooks
cable clip
3 sets silicone eartips
3 sets double flange
2 sets foamies (looks and feels like shures olives)
cleaning tool
dranoel4190
Citizen
Citizen

Postby insyte » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:04 pm

dranoel4190 wrote:another big mention is that they almost have nill microphonics
Nowadays, this is one factor regarding IEM choosing that I find very important :)

dranoel4190 wrote:2 sets foamies (looks and feels like shures olives)
hehe pics please if possible :)
insyte
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:53 pm

insyte wrote:
dranoel4190 wrote:another big mention is that they almost have nill microphonics
Nowadays, this is one factor regarding IEM choosing that I find very important :)

That and of comfort... I hate being lobotomized!
dogears
Master
Master

Postby insyte » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:48 am

dogears wrote:
insyte wrote:

Naku kailangan mo nga maaudition muna yung triple.fi regarding fit sa ear mo. Pero kapag nakacomplys, super comfortable na siguro :)
insyte
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mahavishnu » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:24 pm

welcome back dranoel! thanks for the review, ive been eyeing some senn iems myself

dogears wrote:
insyte wrote:

i hate it when my ears got deflowered with my first pair of triflanges. i agree with insyte, the first time i tried complies, i had it on for hours. then i moved pulling the iem out of the amp. yeah i didnt know they were on!
mahavishnu
Citizen
Citizen

Postby MonJovi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:13 am

dranoel4190 wrote:@MonJovi
nope thats the IE8

Ok thanks.

Anybody was able to compare this to the CX95? A local reseller claims the CX95 SQ is almost similar to that of the IE series which I'm considering because of its relatively big price difference. TIA. :)
MonJovi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dranoel4190 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:06 am

insyte wrote:
dranoel4190 wrote:2 sets foamies (looks and feels like shures olives)
hehe pics please if possible :)

yup will try getting some better pics :)

MonJovi wrote:Anybody was able to compare this to the CX95? A local reseller claims the CX95 SQ is almost similar to that of the IE series which I'm considering because of its relatively big price difference. TIA. :)

actually thats me. :lol: im meiroque in tpc/podcentral. i said they sound very similar meaning they have the same sound signature (wide soundstage, full sounding bass, more upfront mids). but the IE series does it better in every aspect compared to the CX95
dranoel4190
Citizen
Citizen

Postby MonJovi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:18 pm

MonJovi wrote:Anybody was able to compare this to the CX95? A local reseller claims the CX95 SQ is almost similar to that of the IE series which I'm considering because of its relatively big price difference. TIA. :)

dranoel4190 wrote:actually thats me. :lol: im meiroque in tpc/podcentral. i said they sound very similar meaning they have the same sound signature (wide soundstage, full sounding bass, more upfront mids). but the IE series does it better in every aspect compared to the CX95

Ya, I figured it out after following one of your photo links, hehe.. :D small world. Might see you this weekend, need to audition those toys of yours. :)
MonJovi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Azathoth » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:48 am

Excellent impressions, sir. Any chance of a side-by-side comparison of the IE7 and IE8? ;)

I'm kind of wanting to audition these as well (seeing as you're selling them in tpc). Btw, if you've tried the Shure SE530, how do you think the IE7 compares to those?
Azathoth
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks for letting me audition your IE7's earlier, sir. Damn, the temptation to get them is getting stronger...their warm/dark sound signature is very pleasing to my ears. The bass is awesome, double bass blastbeats are nothing short of spectacular. Highs are recessed somewhat, though I expected this given Senn's house sound.

They handled a wide assortment of test tracks very capably:

Behemoth - "Slaying The Prophets Ov Isa"

Double bass bliss. The layered guitar parts sounded clear and thick.

Black Sabbath - "Lady Evil", "Heaven and Hell"

The basslines were liquid and smooth, very nice.

Al Di Meola - "Mediterranean Sundance"

The IE7's handle acoustics very well, they sparkle just right, but a bit lacking compared to my Grados.

Nile - "Lashed To The Slave Stick"

Given the chaotic nature of this song, (where lesser IEMs like the CX300/400 can't quite handle them, it sounds jumbled) I was impressed that the IE7 aced it: excellent detail, separation and impact.

Paired with my mini3 amp (from ferds), the bass extends a bit lower and soundstage gets a slight step up. :)
Azathoth
Citizen
Citizen

Postby doughn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:43 pm

nice review sir

im also thinking whether to buy IE7, grado Gr8 , shure 530, or Westone UM3x...
doughn
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to Head-Fi