Moderator: JackD201

Postby JackD201 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:46 pm

Mods, Please move to Tech Archives

Thanks!

Jack
JackD201
Immortal

Postby tony » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 am

i always thought it was polarity thing, but in our country it does not apply, coz our electricity is 110/110 right?

you are probably reffering to a balanced 220v system, we had this system in pasig when i was growing up, i am not sure now, as cost cutting measures dictated a line to ground system, where i live in nueva ecija, we have a line-nuetral system, meaning, one side of the line is "hot" and the other side is supposed to be "ground" or zero. in three pase terms, these are 440volts line to line and 220volts line-to-ground and i know some places in metro manila are likewise using this system.

this is easy to verify, try touching your pc case without anything between you feet and your concrete floor and you will know what i mean...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:54 am

edwin wrote:Hi Zach,

Here is waht I could say on my limited knowledge.
1. I think it still boils down to the polarity issue even though as you say, we are running on 220v. I have the same experience here in Singapore until I had terminated all my powerstrips, conditioner and powercords on the correct polarity.
2. I have no idea how to answer this question. :?
3. As what I have always read, the most critical component should be plugged on the first socket of your power strip. It is quite logical because it should be the first to get the cleanest supply, with a shorter signal path and lesser contamination from the rest of the equipments.

I hope this helps. Just my 2 cents. Happy tweaking :)

edwin,

i envy the way singapore implemented their electrical codes, and to the letter, unlike here in our country where the electrical code is merely a suggestion, meaning you follow it to your liking....what a pity...
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edwin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:14 am

tony wrote:
edwin wrote:Hi Zach,

Here is waht I could say on my limited knowledge.
1. I think it still boils down to the polarity issue even though as you say, we are running on 220v. I have the same experience here in Singapore until I had terminated all my powerstrips, conditioner and powercords on the correct polarity.
2. I have no idea how to answer this question. :?
3. As what I have always read, the most critical component should be plugged on the first socket of your power strip. It is quite logical because it should be the first to get the cleanest supply, with a shorter signal path and lesser contamination from the rest of the equipments.

I hope this helps. Just my 2 cents. Happy tweaking :)

edwin,

i envy the way singapore implemented their electrical codes, and to the letter, unlike here in our country where the electrical code is merely a suggestion, meaning you follow it to your liking....what a pity...

Tony,

It maybe becuase evrything here is followed by the book. Kapag may issue, they will come up with a solution and be implemented right away. Dito hindi pwede and kasabihang, "Pwede na yan".

Edwin
edwin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:24 am

Edwin,

this is because the singaporeans are a disciplined lot...they do as their government tell them to do..unlike here, we are too individualistic, and subscribe to the "me first" policy..we like to get away with it at every chance we can....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Technical Archives