To Bi-wire or not to Bi-wire: That is the question!

Moderator: JackD201

Postby Donlovejoy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:06 pm

My Krell FPB 300 has eight speaker taps connected it to the Aerial 10T bi-wired with two pairs of Discovery signature speaker cables both with the same length @ 10 ft. ummmmm sarap ng sound! :twisted:
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiophyte » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:32 pm

using Ecosse CS2.3 (gauge 14) for the HF and Ixos 6006 (gauge 11) for LF of the Mission M74. Ecosse to smoothen the Hi/Mid and ixos for that slamming bass.
audiophyte
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AA 1 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:31 pm

An interesting link to check out:

http://www.sonicdesign.se/biwire.html
AA 1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Kier » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:56 am

Apparently, it really depends on an individual's taste, I remember sending an e-mail to Ecosse asking them suggestion on what speaker cable to use in a biwiring config. since CS2.2 & CS2.3 are the only model available in our local distributor and this is their reply:
Hello Sir
The combination of cs2.3 for LF and cs2.2 for hf is ok-and is preferrable to
2 runs of cs2.3.
Thankyou
Elliot Davis
M.D. Ecosse Cables
www.ecossecables.co.uk
tel 0044(0)141 353 0509
Ecosse Cable Awards:
Kier
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:56 pm

Donlovejoy wrote:My Krell FPB 300 has eight speaker taps connected it to the Aerial 10T bi-wired with two pairs of Discovery signature speaker cables both with the same length @ 10 ft. ummmmm sarap ng sound! :twisted:

My amp is the same (with eight taps)! It is speaker dependent but here is something "radical" that I tried and noticed a difference (finally!).

This is applicable only if you have a true "shotgun" config. Normally, one cable plus return goes to the mid/high and another cable plus return to the bass. Instead of this, connect the + (plus) signal for both with individual cable (nothing special there), but connect the ground (-) for both with a jumper and a single return cable to the amp. In this config, you are only using three(3) cables per channel. One (+) for the mid/high, one (+) to the bass, and only one (-) return to the amp.

This is not my original idea but I read it at the DIY forum regarding the advantage of having one return path (negative) as oppose to two. This was also suggested to me at the Magnepan forum and I tried it for the heck of it!

So far, it gives positive results! I am using Acoustic Zen Satori for the bass and Analysis Plus Oval 12 for the mid/highs.

It might work for you, or it might not. It is worth a try though!

cheers
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:25 pm

Amandarae,

Sounds logical, I've seen that done by fld on raffy's Spendors, or something quite like it. Too bad I can't try it since my speaker's HF/MF terminals are a good 2 1/2 feet away from my LF terminals.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:35 pm

Mods please move to Tech Archive. Tnx guys!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ringDAC » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:46 pm

did you know that Renaud de Vergnette of Triangle thinks that biwiring is bullshit (read it yourself in Sam Tellig's article in Stereophile January 2005)?

biamp for real results!
ringDAC

Postby JackD201 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:24 am

ringDAC wrote:did you know that Renaud de Vergnette of Triangle thinks that biwiring is bullshit (read it yourself in Sam Tellig's article in Stereophile January 2005)?

biamp for real results!

It depends on the crossover design.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby derby » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi!

My wife gave me a new set of cables (Straightwire Quartet biwire cables) as her "pasalubong" from her recent trip. I was previously using MIT Terminator 2's (non bi-wire) as speaker cable. When I tried the Straigth Wire cables, I noticed firstly that the imaging is not as pinpoint as the T2's and the highs & lows were a little rolled off with the Straigth Wire. It's also not as detailed as the T2's. Is it because it's a new pair of speaker cables and I still have to burn them in? How long do I have to burn them in? I thought that bi-wire cables were better than no bi-wire from the get-go?

My system right now, is B&W 602 s3, HK avr 335 & cayin cdt-15a.

Thanks! :)

Derby
derby
Citizen
Citizen

Postby accastil » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm

derby wrote:Hi!

My wife gave me a new set of cables (Straightwire Quartet biwire cables) as her "pasalubong" from her recent trip. I was previously using MIT Terminator 2's (non bi-wire) as speaker cable. When I tried the Straigth Wire cables, I noticed firstly that the imaging is not as pinpoint as the T2's and the highs & lows were a little rolled off with the Straigth Wire. It's also not as detailed as the T2's. Is it because it's a new pair of speaker cables and I still have to burn them in? How long do I have to burn them in? I thought that bi-wire cables were better than no bi-wire from the get-go?

Derby

while it is true that different cables, especially those of different material-make do sound different, im not sure if burning them in is really true or just a product of the human ear being adjusted to a usual sound. in any case, listen with them for more hours and you may notice some changes.
accastil
Citizen
Citizen

Postby derby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:30 pm

accastil wrote:

Derby

while it is true that different cables, especially those of different material-make do sound different, im not sure if burning them in is really true or just a product of the human ear being adjusted to a usual sound. in any case, listen with them for more hours and you may notice some changes.

Do you mean that, in my case the MIT T2's (Non bi-wire) are just better than the Straight Wire bi-wire cables?
Thanks

Derby
derby
Citizen
Citizen

Postby accastil » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:36 pm

derby wrote:
accastil wrote:

Derby

Do you mean that, in my case the MIT T2's (Non bi-wire) are just better than the Straight Wire bi-wire cables?
Thanks

Derby

try them both. only you can have a straight answer. i usually practice cable rolling, to me, they are as fun as tube rolling for others.
the ecosse 2.3C for example is the exact opposite of the OTA 47 labs in terms of emphasizing mids and highs over the lower freqs.
accastil
Citizen
Citizen

Postby derby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Derby
derby
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:58 am

JackD201 wrote:There is no right or wrong only painful pockets! :lol:

Guilty!

With an outboard crossover, I'm "forced" to quad wire.

Ouch! Was that a kick in my butt? No, it's my wallet cringing for some business thrown Hansen's and Joseph's (Soundscape) way. :D

No regrets though...
rtsyrtsy

Postby stereophile » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:32 am

Derby

Burn-in your new cables, then listen again. Sometimes it takes 100-200hrs. If your AVR has a tuner, use the radio. It will spare your cdp from wear & tear.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby derby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Derby
derby
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Technical Archives