Can We Hear Differences Between AC Power Cords?

Moderator: JackD201

Are there Differences in Sound Between AC Power Cords?

Yes
75%
No
13%
I Haven't tried "upgrading" my PC
12%

Total votes : 67

Can We Hear Differences Between AC Power Cords?

Postby mozilla » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:57 am

Here's an interesting blind test between generic power cords (stock power cords routinely supplied with equipment) and Nordost Valhalla power cords.

A summary of the results are as follows:

" The total number of correct answers was 73 out of 149, which amounts to 49% accuracy. That is no more accurate than flipping a coin"

"The self-proclaimed hardcore audiophiles got 48% correct; the rest got 50% correct."

" Those who on the post-test survey felt most strongly that they had heard differences between cords during the test did not perform better than those who rated their abilities at or below the median. Those who thought they did best scored 45%, while those who thought they did so-so or poorly scored 50%."

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1 ... -2004.html
mozilla

Postby JackD201 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:15 am

Like I said in a previous post, I spent, I listened, I did not hear the difference. I console myself with the fact that the new cords look just plain MEAN. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby gabrieldoremi » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:49 am

only a fool believes that power cord affects the sound quality of amplifiers. focus on the quality of your components.
gabrieldoremi

Postby arnoldc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:15 am

gabrieldoremi wrote:only a fool believes that power cord affects the sound quality of amplifiers. focus on the quality of your components.
you can state your opinion or beliefs without branding the people here as fools. you are under forum rules, mind you.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 am

Pero fool nga malamang yun kasi ang topic is HEARING hindi naman BELIEVING eh :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby fld » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:44 am

I have my fair share of powercords. I do admit that some powercords have very minimal impact on the sound of the gears while some have greater impact. I guess it depends on which powercords we are talking about here.

I for one, have been using one particular brand for the last 5 years and without that PC in my system, it just doesnt sound right. I know oldfogey will attest to that as well.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zach » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:42 pm

gabrieldoremi wrote:only a fool believes that power cord affects the sound quality of amplifiers. focus on the quality of your components.

case to case basis yan bro. i presume you are speaking from your experience. what's your system? in some systems, not all, differences are apparent. it will affect the quality of any component specially when the power cord in question toys around with the phase. try turning your plugs 180 degrees. in my system just unplugging my cpu monitor from the socket affects the sound. turning the plugs around change and affect the sound. switching powercords also affect the sound. using braided or solidcore conductors within the socket itself affects the sound. for good or for bad depends on who's listening. and just because i hear it and you don't does not make me a fool. i tried doing the above with my bose and sony systems, dun i can't hear the diff. depende talaga. ill be more than glad to have you over my place to show you. ciao
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:06 pm

Too busy the past weeks. I just noticed that Banjo posted the same link a few days back. See his post here:
viewtopic.php?t=4984
mozilla

Postby Spectral » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:55 pm

I have seen them work in mega buck systems. In el cheapo components you definitely wont hear it. I used to be a non believer.

Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:34 am

Oh boy. My personal experience :tube or low wattage solid state gear and sensitive speakers some difference. High wattage monster amps and other components with regulated power supplies little to no audible difference. Why? The cord carries 220 volts at 60Hz and a heap of noise guys not the minute little transients of an audio signal. Can a cable reduce that noise? Sure but only the RFI for that short cable run. EMI is already in the line. Think about it. I've said this before. All our circuits, tube or solid state run on DC. Most of the time what makes gear in the high end expensive are the biasing implementations and POWER SUPPLIES. Why separates instead of integrated? Power supply. Monoblocks over Stereo? Power Supply. Expense of OTL? Power supply. Yup the supplies whatever the design, are what ensure conversion from always dirty AC to the cleanest DC available. Remember what put McIntosh on the map? Yup custom wound transformers for their POWER SUPPLY. Levinson No.33? Active gain stage and POWER SUPPLY. Musical Fidelity A3cr and Tri-Vista? Choke Regulated POWER SUPPLY.VTL Sigfreid? Microprocessor controlled POWER SUPPLY. Halcros? LAMMs? Wavacs? CJs? Dynacos? Same. Same.same. Catchin' my drift now?

Can a good power cable give an unregulated power supply an easier time? Yes a little. A robust regulated power supply? help it doesn't really need as much. Differences? Subtle to Insignificant. IMO.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby edwin » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:00 am

I'm a beleiver of powercords. I have tried it and heard the diffrence in my system and others as well after switching from one brand to the other.

Some systems/equipments are more dependent on powercords, than others. A good example is the Consonance Ref 2.2. This CD player will put out its potential more with a good powercord.

I beleive this have something to do with the design of the equipments powersupply and the components used. I was using before a conditioner to tame the grain from my power amp but after replacing its bridge rectifiers to fast/soft recovery diodes, i don't need them anymore.

Just sharing my thoughts/experience :D
edwin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:41 am

I think power cords are measured in terms of voltage capacity, heat temperature and wattage. These are normally printed on the cord. Im not an engineer but i believed some characteristics are not indicated on the wire such as RFI, conducting material and insulation used but substantially affect quality of electrical flow.

Before, i was using the standard thick insulated rubberized detachable power cord that goes with the equipment when you buy the unit. Looks really heavy duty. Then, i experimented on this by comparing it with the standard flat iron cord, tv cord, portable fm/cassette radio power cord. When i cut the audio power cable, i discovered that the copper wire were all the same in term of material used, thickness around 18-20 gauge.

Although, these standard wires are gauranted to be durable for their intended use, i sensed something better should be used specially for the tubes amps because of the heat generated by the tubes. So in my case, i thought i should use a power cord that prevents heat transfer. i don't know anything about heat transfer but i thought this might be important.

So, I replaced the standard power cord with a TEFLON insulated, high temperature power cord and silver coated copper wire, all of my sytems from cd player to power amplifier. So far no problem. This type of cord also prohibits RFI and EFI effect even when our wires ovelap or crossover at the back of equipment. i can't say there is a significant improvement sonically from the previous but im pretty sure i feel confident about the prevention of heat transfer. Overall, im not using any expensive and useless power conditioner that actually alters the sound. Im only using an EFI filter from the main AC outlet.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Octaver » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:28 am

In my system I've heard difference between the stock & Quality power cord, is that means I'm a FOOL?
OK this might be subjective, Some Quality Power Cords have built-in filters, etch. I can say differences depends on places for example if you leave in a condo type house expect too much noise!
Quality Power cordes have good grip on both source & components meaning good conductivity. Quality Power Cord are best for power hunger Amps!
Honestly, I'm not believer before maybe because of my background as an EE, but "TO HEAR IS TO BELIEVE" (IMO)
Octaver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:31 pm

This is really uncalled for, irresponsible and unnecessary comment from a newbie who posted only 8 times so far since Sept 2004. This is supposed to be healthy forum where all users and members should share their learned insights, views and experiences, whether you agree to one's opinion or disagree with it. Just share your point of view. of course June, you are not a _____.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hans adriane » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:41 pm

I'm a believer also have withness how a HMR (gauge 14) sounded thin and lean in my friend's DIY GC Hybrid amp but when we tried Iceman DIY power cord the sound is fuller. also tried putting ferrite core on my power cord the result is cleaner and focus sound.
Hans adriane
Citizen
Citizen

Postby gabrieldoremi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:59 am

arnoldc wrote:
you can state your opinion or beliefs without branding the people here as fools. you are under forum rules, mind you.

fool is not a vulgar word it is even used in the bible.
even gago is not vulgar. it means a person who can not make his own decision.
gabrieldoremi

Postby gabrieldoremi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:06 pm

dogears wrote:Pero fool nga malamang yun kasi ang topic is HEARING hindi naman BELIEVING eh :lol:

validate first your procedures before you claim that your power cord improves the quality of sound. remember this is a forum not all members are simple minded.
gabrieldoremi

Postby JackD201 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Yo Mr. Moderator! Is there any way we can fuse this with the XLO Powercord thread? Thanks!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mozilla » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:19 pm

That would be the administrator. PM'd him...
mozilla

Postby arnoldc » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:22 pm

The XLO is a review, and it's up to the reader to believe or not, without being called gago or fool.

This is a poll, so no need to merge.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Technical Archives