Placement along the short or long wall? What's "IN"

Moderator: JackD201

Postby johnmarc0 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:00 pm

timn8ter wrote:Another theory that has been proposed is to angle the placement of the system 45 degrees (corner to corner) rather than at 90 degrees (wall to wall).

Isn't that for bass extension purposes, the 45 degree corner is coupled to the speakers so the corner becomes a huge bass horn. That was discovered in the 30's if I am not mistaken.
johnmarc0
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hyperion » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:18 pm

JackD201 ,

I hear ya. A bit of magic liquid is a temporary quick fix to everything. :D

Sourcing the right fabric could be easy when you are lucky. A quick stroll along the streets of Divisoria can get you the right stuff at bargain prices. That is where I got the grill type fabric that I used for our own treatments.

What sort of acoustic treatment do you have in mind? I still have a big stock of rigid fiberglass and I can lend a hand in completing your treatments.

arnie,

The mystery of the missing bass can probably be attributed to:

1.) the rear of your speakers (where the ports are presumably) are firing into the windows which when open are perfect sound absorbers: the bass goes out and it never gets back.

2.) your speakers are now firing into your cabinets which are essentially panel bass absorbers

3.) since there are cabinets behind your listening position, you are essentially farther away from the rear wall where maximum bass pressurization occurs.

Since the problem with your room is lack of bass and not too much bass - you need every bit of bass reinforcement you can get out of your walls. I suggest you setup and listen along concrete walls instead.
Hyperion

Postby arnoldc » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:21 pm

hansen, thanks. i will rotate my gears once more back to original position if jackd's suggestion will not work out.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:36 pm

Hi Hansen. 2 Ceiling mounted broadband absorber/diffusers. I just have to run spectral analysis first to determine the center frequencies. I'm hearing at least two peaks smeared as one making it hard to do by ear. I would prefer one big one but I have to allow for the sprinklers. What are the ST ratings of your boards?
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Arnie, boxless speakers ka pala. No wonder. Even w/ your mini-monitors walang bass coupling? As far as windows remember CTL, closed, tempered, laminated.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Hyperion » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:54 pm

timn8ter,

I think the diagonal setup works only for large square rooms where one can setup along the diagonal while keeping the speakers away from the corners. It will only work if the room is relatively symmetrical in terms of sonic absorption, reflection and diffusion.

jm,

You are correct. Speakers in the corners will have elevated bass responses which unfortunately will not be beneficial in a small square room which tend to have too much midbass and upperbass at the double axial room mode frequencies and their multiples.

JackD201,

The board I am using is a copy of Owen Cornings Type 703 rigid fiberglass. I'll email you the specs but its pretty broadband with NRC of 1 from 500Hz to 4kHz (and 0.86 at 250Hz).
Hyperion

Postby arnoldc » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:12 pm

hi jack, i was describing the effect to the Infinity Kappa :)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:27 pm

Double kamot ulo.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Noel_14 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:01 am

Acoustics eto kailangan ko! :D
Paging Hyperion and Jack201 :) Help! Help!

Cheers :)
Noel_14
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:52 pm

Post pics front, sides, rear, ceiling along with measurements of room and driver distancefrom rear and side and center of tweeter to floor. I don't have intestinal flu anymore so I won't be around much. Gotta deal with my backlog at work. I'll be glad to give as much remote control advice as i can though. As far as actually doing it Hansen has supplies that are good (same quality better price as branded) for preliminary treatments and can order other stuff too Hansen discount sa fiberboard ha! :)! Sorry left the field 5 years ago so admittedly I'm really rusty.Pro bono friends and family na lang ako just for the fun of it.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jo2 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:18 pm

arnoldc,

Just a thought, why not sell the KAPPA's (again!) and buy something that will suit your budget, room and listening taste.

I think you're experiencing boredom with the Infinity's sonics... I maybe wrong. :wink:
jo2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:56 pm

Mods please move to Tech Archive. Tnx guys!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:37 pm

timn8ter wrote:Mike Levigne, who lives nearby here, had a listening room constructed recently. This description was written by the president of our local audio society.

Mike Lavigne’s Music System
As of October 2004
Analog source: Rockport System III Sirius,
Lamm LP2 Delux phono preamp
Digital source: EMM Labs DAC6 and CDSD
transport
Pre-amplification: passive Placette balanced
remote volume control and custom Jena Labs
balanced switcher
Power amplifier: Tenor 300Hp hybrid mono
amps
Loudspeaker: Kharma Exquisite 1D
Interconnect Cable: Nordost Valhalla single
ended and balanced
Speaker Cable: Transparent Opus MM 8’
Power: Dedicated circuits with Jena Labs deepimmersion
cryo’d duplex receptacles
Power Conditioning: Shunyata Hydra for
sources
Power Cords: Elrod
Stands/Isolation: Zoethecus all with Z-slab
shelves, SAP Relaxa 1 Magnetic levitation base,
Black Diamond Racing shelf
Room: 21’ wide x 29’ long x 11’ height
Acoustic treatment: see article
Accessories: Walker lead filled pucks, porcelain
cable elevators

As of 2006

Mike has replaced the Tenors with DarTZeel pre and power amps
Added another pair of Opus spkr cables
and
replaced the Kharmas with Von Schweikert VR-9 SEs

His room (inside his converted barn) is still the standard by which private listening rooms will be judged.

Whataguy!!!!
JackD201
Immortal

Previous

Return to Technical Archives