CLUTTER BETWEEN SPEAKERS

Moderator: JackD201

CLUTTER BETWEEN SPEAKERS

Postby Patman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:31 am

Hi,

I was experimenting on soundstage and depth and I noticed that having your equipment rack and equipment between the speakers distorts the soundstage and imaging of the sound big time (especially when the top of your shelf is eye-level when you sitdown).

Of course one of the contraints in moving the rack is investment in long run cables which can get quite expensive. Never the less, I think moving your equipment to the left or right of the listening position (assuming it is not too close to you... 4ft minimum worked well for me) surely improves soundstange and imaging. What are your thoughts and experiences on this?
Patman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Andaleon » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:16 am

Same exact reason you don't get good sound when you put a big TV in between the Left and Right Speakers.
Andaleon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby alanranch » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:40 am

Andaleon wrote:Same exact reason you don't get good sound when you put a big TV in between the Left and Right Speakers.

Exactly what happened to my set up. Thanks to ArnoldC and Andaleon for informing me. It is true, it distorts the sound plus excessive highs/depth/soundstage are all affected when there's a tv/big rack in the middle. I followed what these guys told me and walah!!!! now im really happy and contented.
alanranch
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman90a » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:45 am

Amen to that!

removing the tv changed the sound a LOT! :D will try placing my gear on the floor next...
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Doc Jr 8156 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:23 pm

Or you can drape the clutter with heavy blankets for serious listening. Takes a lot of effort but you don't have to shell big bucks for longer IC or speaker cables. The best would be to dedicate a room just for audio, just 2 channel and nothing else. Godspeed.
Doc Jr 8156
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Patman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:11 pm

Doc Jr 8156 wrote:Or you can drape the clutter with heavy blankets for serious listening. Takes a lot of effort...

I sure does. :D Actually, it will be quite a challenge (and maybe an impossible feat to do) if your turntable is at the top of the rack and doesnt have a dust cover. :)
Patman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:24 pm

pparungao wrote:
Doc Jr 8156 wrote:Or you can drape the clutter with heavy blankets for serious listening. Takes a lot of effort...

I sure does. :D Actually, it will be quite a challenge (and maybe an impossible feat to do) if your turntable is at the top of the rack and doesnt have a dust cover. :)

Not a wise thing to do. Better safe than sorry. For God's sake Pat, buy a decent long interconnect, it's not going to hurt your pocket! :)
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ears » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Aside from having a better soundstage having my eqpt beside me is sure a lot better than having to stand up every time I have to change a disc or LP. Better if you can use a longer run of balanced cable between your amp and pre-amp. I have my amp set low between my speakers and my pre-amp beside me via balanced cables.
ears
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Patman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:57 pm

ihatejazz wrote: Not a wise thing to do. Better safe than sorry. For God's sake Pat, buy a decent long interconnect, it's not going to hurt your pocket! :)

ihatejazz - Hindi ka naman maloko! :lol: Long run interconnects are definitely in my order list. Hey, I had a really heart jumping... no, make it near death experience....

My nephew (7 yrs old) entered my room and was awed with the Clearaudio table and cart.... Sure enough while I wasnt looking, he couldnt resist and HE HELD THE CART WHILE IT WAS PLAYING!!!!! wHAAAAAA :cry: I just heard a loud ZZZZUEEEETT! Man!!!! I thought my cantilever was a gonner. He was in shock too (poor kid) but MY CART....NO BODY AND I MEAN NOBODY TOUCHES MY CART :x ...

Luckily, it turned out that the everthing is still in good shape and things were working dandily BUT the "No Kids Allowed Inside" sign is now up.
Patman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jonas » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:48 pm

pparungao wrote:Sure enough while I wasnt looking, he couldnt resist and HE HELD THE CART WHILE IT WAS PLAYING!!!!! wHAAAAAA :cry: I just heard a loud ZZZZUEEEETT! Man!!!! I thought my cantilever was a gonner. He was in shock too (poor kid) but MY CART....NO BODY AND I MEAN NOBODY TOUCHES MY CART :x ...

actually, the way I "handle" my cart , it's like as if the needle and cantilever were sterile and so cannot be touched at all unless by a brush dipped in elixir of sound.

i remember in my younger days many years ago when i would clean the needle using the blade of a swiss army knife, i would touch the needle point to test for audio feedback in my speakers, and the clincher...i would put coins on the cart if the record would skip!! i shudder just thinking about those things now.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:39 pm

Pat,

Are you in your brand new house already?
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Doc Jr 8156 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:49 pm

Sorry. It never occured to me that your TT is in the mix of things. Godspeed.
Doc Jr 8156
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Andaleon » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:49 pm

"My nephew (7 yrs old) couldnt resist and HE HELD THE CART WHILE IT WAS PLAYING!!!!! wHAAAAAA I just heard a loud ZZZZUEEEETT! "

Next thing you know, they'll be playing frizbee with your LP's.

See, that would not happen if you are playing CD's instead!

JUST KIDDING!!!!
Andaleon
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zach » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:15 am

Andaleon wrote:"My nephew (7 yrs old) couldnt resist and HE HELD THE CART WHILE IT WAS PLAYING!!!!! wHAAAAAA I just heard a loud ZZZZUEEEETT! "

OUCH!!!
zach
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby DawgEars » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:25 am

I did the same a couple of years back and I initially ended with the speakers further from the front wall. The rack stayed in the middle (very) close to the front wall but way-off from the line where both speakers stood. This should be fine as I heard soundstage improvements giving a more focused center and layering. Yes, I was touched;it gave more involvement to the music until such time that I felt my center rack can be a bit of distraction e.g.,What? Linda (Ronstadt) belting in the middle right smack in the location of my components on silver or black faceplates with the usual red and blue lights! Of course, I can close my eyes and just imagine her...but then, I would fall asleep ZZZZZ...ooppss.. end of record.

I eventually move that rack to the side near the listening position and Voila! with the distraction out of the way, my brain is quicker in discerning the individual positions each musical instrument takes. Moreover, no more falling asleep except when tired from the day's work.

Of course, my experience tells me it's better not to have anything in-between your speakers (moving the rack further behind the speaker line) and best by nothing at all in between (the brain plays tricks sometimes).

Now, can I move those monoblocks behind them speakers?
DawgEars

Postby Patman » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:33 pm

ihatejazz wrote:Pat,

Are you in your brand new house already?

Yes! Been there since latter part of June. Swing by if your in the area. I'll text you my addy. I'll be arranging my listening room this weekend to finalize the rack on the side and really start enjoying the music. :)
Patman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Mods please move to Tech Archive. Tnx guys!
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Technical Archives